D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
ChrisCapener

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by ChrisCapener » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:35 am

Hi Everyone
Great stuff Stuart and Gabriel. :bravo:

Here are my first two pieces

[media]https://youtu.be/Q3AueiZJHhg[/media]

and

[media]https://youtu.be/3P8x5PEWKvw[/media]

Still have to record the exercises

Gabriel-guégan

Post by Gabriel-guégan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:21 pm

Hi Chris
-Vaghe Bellezze (...) It's a good first step (i'm not there, some difficulties to record this one correctly)
Here, little things easy to change : measure 1 you have played the eighth note as quarter ; m. 1 to 3 it seems to me that you used the first finger instead of the second, so to play F (m. 3) you could not hold the A. This fingering also give add some dificulties to change to chord measure 4 ; m. 7 first string must not be played (¿plucked?), same m. 8 (i put my annular/pinky on the first string); m. 18 you've played a F# instead of G and the first section is supposed to be reppeat (D.C. al fine -> FIne)

-Mélodia de Sor : It's not a easy one, specialy the second part, lot of "barré". Pearhaps measure 25 you aren't on the 9th but 8th fret, m. 30 you don't have played the F# but one more G. So not a lot to correct
:bye:

Stewart Doyle
Student of the online lessons

Post by Stewart Doyle » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:06 pm

:bravo: Gabriel and Chris

Gabriel - I really enjoyed listening to your Anon;Sor melody. I like the subtle way you change the repeats. It would be even better if you could find a way to submit video so that I, and possibly more perceptive students could comment on your fingering/hand positions etc.
After seeing some videos by Kevin Gallagher on Lagrima (I think it was those videos) I'm remembering to look for ways to 'buy' some time when changing positions. In Lagrima it may be moving during open strings, in the Sor melody an example is putting the low B and high C# down in bar 21 before the D# or the same for the B/G# in bar 29 before putting the first finger G# down. It's amazing what that fraction of a second gives you. Your version was so smooth you might be doing these things anyway, but it would be very valuable to see you play.

Chris - if you haven't already done so, you might find it useful to play the top line of the Vaghe on it's own. Although you generally bring this out, it sometimes gets lost, particularly in bar 18. Gabriel did well to spot an F# - I just didn't hear the G. Gabriel is also right about the need to hold the top A in bar 2, although I find it impossible to make it sound for that long.
For the Sor melody, I think the main problem is that you move to position VI in bar 21 instead of VII and I think you stay one fret too low until bar 27 when you get back on track at position V. I hope I'm right with this - apologies if not!
I think I heard the odd 'ami' rather than 'aim' which suggests you may have had the same problem I had where I had to unlearn the previous way of playing this popular piece! That is so hard.
You may find some of the points I make in Gabriel's message helps a little too.

Stewart
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

ChrisCapener

Post by ChrisCapener » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:18 pm

Thanks for your help Gabriel , very helpful - I can correct these easily so may post an update if I get time. I am practicing the exercises now and realising I need the practice :)

Stuart good spot on the 'ami' :!: you're right I had practiced this piece before and I previously learnt a different version - or maybe unlearnt it. I rushed this recording a bit because I find it generally takes me so long to commit to a 'take' to post and time was running out on Sunday.

Thanks for your help. :merci:

Gabriel-guégan

Post by Gabriel-guégan » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:46 pm

:merci: Stewart
Stewart Doyle wrote:It would be even better if you could find a way to submit video
Sure, but at present I have no possibility to make a video apart from planning a budget to buy a camera, although this idea makes itsway
:desole:

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:54 am

Hi Guys,

I've just been listening to the recently-posted recordings and wanted to congratulate Chris and Gabriel on their progress.

@Gabriel, it sounds like you are very fluent on the Melodia de Sor piece, and it sounds like you have either played this piece before or have just been practicing this lesson a lot. Either way, the timing is very smooth, with nice rubato to add feeling. I can't yet play this piece as well as you, so feel a little shy to make suggestions. With your Velocity exercises, I would suggest to keep working on getting each note very even and equal to the others - even though this "exercise style" way of playing might not sound as musically pleasing (it's a challenge for me too!)

@Chris, well done on your progress so far. I know you are continuing to work on the pieces, so some of the pauses due to uncertainty will probably be ironed out over the next couple of weeks, which will give the pieces a smoother feel.

My general feeling with Melodia de Sor (and this is not specifically aimed at anyone in particular) is that each note of the melody line needs to be "perfectly rounded" because it is so important to the romantic feel. I guess this is similar to Marko's feedback Gabriel about making it more legato. I've been finding the piece quite strenuous to play with the left hand barres, which tells me that I need to relax my left hand more...and that I need to keep working on the right technique to allow the necessary notes to ring, whilst keeping the hand relaxed. It's coming slowly :wink:

I've been focussing quite a bit on the Vaghe Bellezze...etc. piece (partly because once I've tuned the 6th string down, I'm a bit lazy about tuning it back up again :oops: , but mostly because I find it incredibly beautiful and relaxing to play.) I love the deeper sound of the guitar when the 6th string is tuned down to D, and wonder why E was chosen as the standard tuning. I think I'm going to start collecting "D" pieces so that I can play them all together! Anyway, with this particular piece, I'm very much appreciating learning about keeping anchored fingers to allow sequential chord changes without too much flapping (which is my default tendency).

:bye: :casque:
Regards, Linda

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:20 am

Gabriel-guégan wrote:Hello
This year i will try to follow the course here too. Do not be too hard with the small French
To initiate my participation on the English forum, here is one of my summer works
:bravo: Gabriel. Very good performance. :casque:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:36 am

Hello everyone.

I had problems with my recorder so I could record earlier. I hope it will be okay now.
Melodia de Sor - needs more work

[media]https://youtu.be/Pe34qJMfGyI[/media]

:merci: for watching

EDIT:

Now I see: when transferring (or mount) I lost the end of the video :cry:

Gabriel-guégan

Post by Gabriel-guégan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:05 am

:merci: Linda & Goran for your comments
LindaWoodford wrote:With your Velocity exercises, I would suggest to keep working on getting each note very even and equal to the others
It's not easy... I will keep practicing
LindaWoodford wrote:I think I'm going to start collecting "D" pieces so that I can play them all together!
You could try n°44 of the Sagreras' second lesson, a lovely one
Goran Penic wrote:Melodia de Sor
It's a good beginnig. You have to win in ease with regard to the last year, especially the first part which is well done.

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:32 pm

Hi Goran, that was really well played. What a shame your recorder stopped before the end, because I was really enjoying listening.
Regards, Linda

Stewart Doyle
Student of the online lessons

Post by Stewart Doyle » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi Goran, Very well played, you must have practiced the transitions thoroughly as they were very smooth and seemed effortless. As you've got all the technicalities mastered (to my eyes at least), you could do some work on variation between the repeats and deploy a little rubato perhaps? I notice you move your RH for the repeats, but I'd like to hear some more dynamic and (subtle) tempo changes. For example, I try to make the move to the barre at fret 5 (after the slide to the high E) a little sweeter and quieter.That's only my preference though and I'm not sure whether I do any of that in my recording.
(That's something I need to do far more than I do at the moment - watch my own videos!)
One final thing, I like the way you look up around 12 to 14 seconds in - it's as if you've just spotted us watching you!

Best wishes

Stewart
Alhambra 11P Spruce
Antonio Lorca 3605 Cedar

Gabriel-guégan

D05 01 p21 Anon., Vaghe bellezze e bionde trecce

Post by Gabriel-guégan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:26 am

Hello everyone
On this 4th week, I add the "Vaghe bellezze e bionde trecce"
I found it quite easy to play but very difficult to ring well
I also have some difficulty using correctly my nails, it is rather new for me :bye:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gabriel-guégan

Post by Gabriel-guégan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:08 am

Hello
I just add my first vidéo, a second version of "Vaghe bellezze e bionde trecce" which i hope it's quite better
[media]https://youtu.be/l_2lpK5xibY&feature=youtu.be[/media] :bye:

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:24 am

Gabriel-guégan wrote:Hello
I just add my first vidéo, a second version of "Vaghe bellezze e bionde trecce" which i hope it's quite better
:bravo: Gabriel.
Nice video :). Good performance.
Maybe you could emphasize little more a bass transitions.

Gabriel-guégan

Post by Gabriel-guégan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:33 pm

Thanks Goran
You are certainly right. I would have to try. But for the moment I need to change score. I would return there maybe later

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”