D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Zafar Haq

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Zafar Haq » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:19 am

Hi, Jesse Knapp,
Well done.
This evening, I have the opportunity to watch all of your four study videos.
1. In C Maj scale,You played it well with smooth tempo.For rhythm high "C" quarter note to be given its duration.Need to apply crescendo decrescendo dynamic effect as in music sheet expect.
2.Rest of the three study videos, you did it very well. No missing notes in Une Souris Verte study video. You repeated the phrases where required.

Edit: I thought about my comment on C Maj Scale rhythm.I'm taking back my comment. Your rhythm and melody both are good in C Maj scale.
Your quarter note duration and two 1/8 notes duration are same.

Jesse Knapp

Post by Jesse Knapp » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:01 am

Hi Zafar,

Thanks for the feedback! Your very helpful in the guitar lesson forum here. Your technical knowledge certainly surpasses mine. I play more by ear unfortunately. I know I will have a hard time when it comes to keeping count. Thanks again!

Jesse

Mikko Helenius

Post by Mikko Helenius » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:34 pm

Hello Zhihao and Jesse

For both of you (especially Zhihao) I would recommend to lower your right elbow on the guitar since now you both have quite an angle on your right wrist. Keeping your wrist straight is better in terms of ergonomy but also your sound will improve since like this you will press the strings more down than up and it is easier to use both flesh and nail when attacking the strings. Zhihao, it would be nice if you could try to find some better way of recording.

Bert Stendahl

Post by Bert Stendahl » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:47 am

The two songs of this week was unknown to me making it a bit harder, good to have videos to look at. I'm rather unaccustomed with 2/4 I noticed, the same with crescendo and decrescendo. With no 20 I stood up then playing at some occasion. this strangely made it easier to play this at some point.
2 The C major scale.mp3
2 Exercise No. 20.mp3
2 J'ai du bon tabac.mp3
k1Ir3JEgXtux3N94ngO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never Mind the Bollocks

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi, Bert Stendahl,
Well done.
1.I watched your submitted UNE SOURIS VERTE home assignment video.
Very good audio video quality.Picture in picture showing both hands.Tempo, rhythm, melody all felt good to me.Watch your left hand thumb. Keep thumb halfway on the back of the neck.
2.Other study video links show mp3 and available as download.I avoided downloading. Can you arrange it to be viewed online.
3.How you created picture in picture?

TomRichmond

Post by TomRichmond » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi Bert,

I listened to the MP3 of J'ai du bon tabac and it sounded really good to me. Nice work.

zhihao-wang

Post by zhihao-wang » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:13 pm

Mikko Helenius wrote:Hello Zhihao and Jesse

For both of you (especially Zhihao) I would recommend to lower your right elbow on the guitar since now you both have quite an angle on your right wrist. Keeping your wrist straight is better in terms of ergonomy but also your sound will improve since like this you will press the strings more down than up and it is easier to use both flesh and nail when attacking the strings. Zhihao, it would be nice if you could try to find some better way of recording.
Hi Mikko
Thank you to point out my bad position. I had checked several musicians(like Ana Vidovic, Jhon Clarke)' position after seeing your post. They do go the straight wrist way.
But I can only sort of agree with you. Check the following simultaneous rest strokes technique in D01 lesson 05, I doubt we can do it without curving your wrist. What do you think?

Regards
Zhihao
[media]https://youtu.be/yQoXol9Yf1g[/media]

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:48 pm

Hi, Zhihao,
Regarding good right hand placement so wrist, arm remain straight instead of bend towards the bridge is placing your right arm over hip of guitar body.
You can experiment by first placing your right elbow close to your body, your arm will pass in the bout area of guitar.Your wrist will bend to make your fingers reach to strings.
Try now, placing your arm over the high side or may call it a hip of a guitar. Your arm and wrist will stay straight and your fingers will arrive on strings without any effort to bend wrist.
If you like watch this youtube video after 6 minutes 40 seconds,where author show the right hand placement. I can provide many links, or you can search yourself. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08CcZzcM ... Q&index=11

Mikko Helenius

Post by Mikko Helenius » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:40 pm

zhihao-wang wrote: Hi Mikko
Thank you to point out my bad position. I had checked several musicians(like Ana Vidovic, Jhon Clarke)' position after seeing your post. They do go the straight wrist way.
But I can only sort of agree with you. Check the following simultaneous rest strokes technique in D01 lesson 05, I doubt we can do it without curving your wrist. What do you think?

Regards
Zhihao
Slight curve up from the sound board is not the same as angled (sideway) wrist!

Jesse Knapp

Post by Jesse Knapp » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:51 pm

After trying some different positions this morning I found that the best way for me to get my wrist parallel with my arm and hand was to lower my footstool a notch. I experimented with all 4 settings on my footstool but it seems that my wrist bends down more the higher i have my footstool and if i go to low on the footstool my wrist wants to bend in torwards the soundhole making attacking the strings much more difficult. I did notice after paracticing for 30 minutes or so that my playing felt more natural and less constrained with a straighter wrist. I guess i will find out more when I record another video. Another way that I heard works in getting a proper position was to practice in front of a mirror and adjust accordingly.
Now to find a mirror.... :lol:

Rajesh Dhungel
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rajesh Dhungel » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:54 am

Bert Stendahl wrote:The two songs of this week was unknown to me making it a bit harder, good to have videos to look at. I'm rather unaccustomed with 2/4 I noticed, the same with crescendo and decrescendo. With no 20 I stood up then playing at some occasion. this strangely made it easier to play this at some point.
2 The C major scale.mp3
2 Exercise No. 20.mp3
2 J'ai du bon tabac.mp3
k1Ir3JEgXtux3N94ngO

hi Bert the exercises sounded nice to my ear, I think you must practice cresendo although your decresendo in c major scale sounded good. In no 20 your metrenome is very high. The only way to play fast is to play slow. Keep practice :bye:

Alex Lototskyy

Post by Alex Lototskyy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:44 am

Sorry for the delay
C major scale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LqZJ0MXVy4
[media]https://youtu.be/0LqZJ0MXVy4[/media]
Une souris verte
[media]https://youtu.be/3FwI5uJcG8Y[/media]

J'ai du bon tabac
[media]https://youtu.be/MYR6-elkAI8[/media]

n20
[media]https://youtu.be/a_AmKyppMFI[/media]

Thank you for you patience :oops: :D
Last edited by Alex Lototskyy on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bert Stendahl

Post by Bert Stendahl » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:38 pm

I have a question about this, why stop this post?

On this page (viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62687) I read that 7 out of the 10 lessons was needed?

How is the final exam conducted and what exactly is tested?

Towards the end of the course, one set exam piece will be announced for each level. Students have a month to practise that piece, then post a recording of it in a particular topic on the Spanish forum. That is assessed by a panel of judges, and a diploma awarded as appropriate. In order to sit the exam, students must have submitted all the required recordings for at least 7 out of the 10 lessons that year.
Never Mind the Bollocks

Bert Stendahl

Post by Bert Stendahl » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi Zafar,

I think you can used most video editing software to create picture in picture. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vi ... g_software
Never Mind the Bollocks

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:31 pm

Bert Stendahl wrote:I have a question about this, why stop this post?
Hi Bert,

See the section about late starters.
So if, for instance, you only had time to get to lesson 4 in the old session, you can't just wait and pick up from lesson 5 in the new session, but need to follow the whole course again from lesson 1. That's something you may wish to take into account if deciding whether to start very late.
And also few paragraphs down:
Can I change levels once I've started?

Yes, students may start or leave a course at any time, so there is no problem if you find after a while that the level you chose was too hard or too easy and decide to switch to a different level. The only thing to bear in mind is that you would need to go back and start the new level from the first lesson of that level and catch up.
I agree that it could be clearer said in the conditions, that everyone needs to start from the first lesson and work through lessons progressively. And I also know that this rule isn't a strict rule in all of the Delcamp forums in four languages. Most people start in September, and for them this isn't an issue, unless they would need to skip a lesson for one reason or another. If you're asking for justification for this rule, I'm afraid that I cannot help with you with that. My job as a lesson mod is just to enforce the rules, and make sure they are understood :)

:bye:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”