D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
PaulAshley

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by PaulAshley » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:50 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:Hi, D01 Classmates.
Today,I switch my practice from C major scale to exercise 20 at page 59.It is a right hand practice exercise.Watched Mr. Delcamp video.My observations are as follows.
1. Free strokes used.
2.Thumb is placed on D string.three remaining fingers are placed on G,B E high strings.Fingers remain planted through out the exercise.
3. Exercise begins between thumb and Index finger.Both thumb and Index finger alternately apply free stroke and came to rest on respective strings.It is repeated four times.Same is repeated between thumb and middle finger four times.Same is repeated for thumb and ring finger for four times.
4. I found that, if I move my right hand closer to sound hole and practice, my middle finger and ring finger respond better.I f, my right hand is placed closer towards bridge, ring finger and middle fingers hardly able to move from their positions and cause problems.I'll keep practice this exercise especially watching middle and ring fingers. :)
I, too, thought he was starting the C maj scale with his thumb but when watching directly on Youtube (to get rid of the ad that's in the way) it looks like it starts as written, with the index finger. It also appears to me that all strokes are rest strokes. It is so subtle you have to look very closely.

What I don't understand is why it is necessary to shift the thumb from the E to the D string on the 5th note of the scale. Why can it not remain on the E?

AND ... No. 20 is a killer!

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:27 pm

Hi, PaulAshley
Sorry for the confusion. I'm not talking about C Maj scale. It is a right hand only exercise for damping notes. This exercise is located on page 59 of our D01 pdf book.
C Maj scale is at page 54.
Just watch again Mr. Delcamp playing exercise no. 20 at in the forum or at youtube channel.
I, found a good solution for blocking ads, appearing on our learning videos. I downloaded and installed Google chrome web browser on Window 7 home edition. I, also added an extension name "AD Block Plus" part of Google chrome additional plugin. I don't see any more any annoying ads. I learn that Ads are running in the background but not appearing over the video.

PaulAshley

Post by PaulAshley » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:40 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:Hi, PaulAshley
Sorry for the confusion. I'm not talking about C Maj scale. It is a right hand only exercise for damping notes. This exercise is located on page 59 of our D01 pdf book.
C Maj scale is at page 54.
Just watch again Mr. Delcamp playing exercise no. 20 at in the forum or at youtube channel.
I, found a good solution for blocking ads, appearing on our learning videos. I downloaded and installed Google chrome web browser on Window 7 home edition. I, also added an extension name "AD Block Plus" part of Google chrome additional plugin. I don't see any more any annoying ads. I learn that Ads are running in the background but not appearing over the video.
Got it. Thanks. I'll try the AD Block idea, too. I've been having all sorts is issues with IE11 anyway.

PaulAshley

Post by PaulAshley » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:44 pm

Would it be possible to make mp3s available, at least of the required exam exercises? That would allow the use of software that slows the audio without changing the pitch, allowing me to play along at an easier tempo.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:15 am

PaulAshley wrote:Would it be possible to make mp3s available, at least of the required exam exercises? That would allow the use of software that slows the audio without changing the pitch, allowing me to play along at an easier tempo.
You can also play back youtube videos at half speed (while maintaining reasonable audio with unchanged pitch) by forcing the use of html5 renderer (instead of Flash). The way to do it depends on your choice of browser. For instructions on how to do it with firefox google "force html5 youtube firefox", which should you point you to download of an add-on. After you have the add-on working, youtube video tool button (the one with a gear, with which you can choose the video resolution) will also include the option to change speed. 0.5 is with audio, but 0.25 is muted.

I find the half speed very useful when looking at fingerings etc.

If you'll need a greater ability to choose the playback tempo, I think there are some websites / software that will allow you to download a youtube video and convert into mp3. Google will help you with that.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Jeremy Gillard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jeremy Gillard » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:48 am

Here are my submissions for this lesson. As always, comments & suggestions are welcome.

C-Maj Scale
[media]https://youtu.be/6v9kn29MFYo[/media]

Exercise 20
[media]https://youtu.be/ECZijJ1_MbM[/media]

Une Souris Verte
[media]https://youtu.be/3b1fTLPfdpE[/media]

J'ai Du Bon Tabac
[media]https://youtu.be/BaHpXhCnl0M[/media]
It's the player, not the guitar...
But, the guitar helps!!!

PaulAshley

Post by PaulAshley » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:23 pm

Jeremy Gillard wrote:Here are my submissions for this lesson. As always, comments & suggestions are welcome.
Well, seems like you're done for this lesson. Looks pretty darned good to me. It'll take me forever just to get exercise 20 right; my fingers just can't seem to stay in place for that.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:16 pm

Hi, Jeremy Gillard
Well done.
1.In C Maj Scale, you clearly demonstrate the Crescendo, Decrescendo Dynamic technique very well. I will try to play and produce similar effect.Tempo, Posture,video audio quality are all properly managed.
2.In UNE SOURIS VERTE study video, you maintain the tempo, melody,posture. You also repeat the passages where music sheet demand.Altogether 5 repeats. Well done.
3. In J'AI DU BON TABAC study video, my comments are same as point number2. No repeats, few dampings.Well done.
4.Sorry, I forgot to mention about Exercise 20 study video. Your middle and ring fingers were flexible and play free strokes and came to rest smoothly as expected.Well done.
As Paul said, you are done for this month assignments, you can advice me and others how to build speed, melody, how to keep eyes on music sheet while your both hands accurately playing the notes. :)

PaulAshley

Post by PaulAshley » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:53 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:...As Paul said, you are done for this month assignments, you can advice me and others how to build speed, melody, how to keep eyes on music sheet while your both hands accurately playing the notes. :)
One thing I'm having trouble with that I see Jeremy and others doing well is how open their right hand is. I tend to hold mine in a more cramped position, probably due to my steel-string playing habits and feeling that I have more control. But I can see that it causes one's fingers to interfere with each other.
Last edited by PaulAshley on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sasa Durakovic

Post by Sasa Durakovic » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:54 pm

Jeremy it seems you don't have any problem att all. Everything looks fine! You played classical guitar before? Maybe this is too easy for you..
Zafar i must admit you are big big help here. You always coming with good ideas, instructions on youtube, you are big helping hand. I'm going to be much more active from now. Nice with you tip on blocking of google adds, i'll try too.

Lesson nr.2 is going to take some time for me. I must learn how to count 2/4 and 6/8 and theese right hand drills :(. It's just to practise and never give up!

Thanks, Sasa

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:09 pm

Hi, Sasa Durakovic
Good to see you. Thanks. This is a spirit of this forum that students to help each other with good ideas. Take your time.
Choose one study at a time. You will be as good as Jeremy Gillard.
Hope to see your study videos soon.
Keep your guitar away. Turn on metronome at 60 bpm. First count loud "One, Two , Three, Four " listening to metronome beats. Keep your both hands ready to clap as you say "One" Two ...so on. Your right foot too will sync to the metronome beats and keep tapping in constant rhythm with metronome. You are playing 4/4 time signature.
Now lets talk about 2/4 time signature. 2/4 mean 2 beats of quarter notes in a measure. you are going to count " One, Two" listening to metronome and clapping and tapping your foot with metronome beats. Check our study pdf "UNE SOURIS VERTE" measure 6,at page 12. two quarter notes in a measure at g and d counting One, Two. If you divide the quarter note in to 1/8th.
Your count will be " One And, Two And". In UNE SOURIS VERTE study measure 1, you see two 1/8 notes join together, two more, 1/8 th notes join together. You are going to clap twice and faster for saying "One And" to make it of time duration of one 1/4 note beat. In the same measure, you are going to count and twice to say "Two And". Your foot will keep tapping the quarter note beats matching with metronome. Your claps will match with measure one of music sheet.
If, forum moderator allow students to connect to each other via Skype, I like to practice with other students live, if some one agree to the idea. :)
Hi, Sasa, Try this site for music theory. First keep practicing the Lesson2 studies.
http://musictheorysite.com/
Here is Mark Wein explains Rhythm, Time. Watch his two part videos on youtube. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNv405hl ... mGuJrNH8qQ
Last edited by Zafar Haq on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PaulAshley

Post by PaulAshley » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:24 pm

Sasa Durakovic wrote:...It's just to practise and never give up!

Thanks, Sasa
Sasa, I've played steel string guitar finger-picking folk-pop song for 45 years and these lessons have been tough for me such that sometimes I think of giving up. We do need to encourage each other to stick with it.

Paul

Jeremy Gillard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jeremy Gillard » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:57 pm

Jeremy it seems you don't have any problem at all. Everything looks fine! You played classical guitar before? Maybe this is too easy for you..
Thanks, but I've not played classical guitar before. I've only played steel string fingerstyle acoustic. I'm learning to read the sheet music. (I really only used tab before) I'm also working on my right hand technique as when I played steel string, it was all free strokes. There is a lot from D01 that I am still to learn and I will be following along with the rest of us.
I'll try and give my advice and tips where I can, but I am not an expert by any means! I still need to work a bunch on the "exercises". They are not easy for me either. The best advice I can give to anybody working through these lessons is to go slow. Don't worry about speed. That will come. Work on playing it slow without errors. Only then worry about speeding up. And most of all, have fun! Don't get frustrated.
It's the player, not the guitar...
But, the guitar helps!!!

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:34 pm

Hi, Classmates,
I, just read the music sheet for J'AI DU BON TABAC study. Watched Mr.Delcamp video several times. My observations are as follows.
1.2/4 time signature.
2.Begin with middle finger
3.No repeats, 8 damping's along the entire study. Most of the notes played only on string B and high E.
4. Beginning of measure 9, Mr. Delcamp right hand moves towards frets and his thumb is placed closer to 14 fret. He plays in this setup up to measure16 and return his right hand back to normal position and continue playing the rest of passage. Moderators please advice, what effect it generate when right hand moves closer to frets.

PaulAshley

Post by PaulAshley » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:20 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:Hi, Classmates,
I, just read the music sheet for J'AI DU BON TABAC study. Watched Mr.Delcamp video several times. My observations are as follows.
1.2/4 time signature.
2.Begin with middle finger
3.No repeats, 8 damping's along the entire study. Most of the notes played only on string B and high E.
4. Beginning of measure 9, Mr. Delcamp right hand moves towards frets and his thumb is placed closer to 14 fret. He plays in this setup up to measure16 and return his right hand back to normal position and continue playing the rest of passage. Moderators please advice, what effect it generate when right hand moves closer to frets.
Zafar, the farther from the bridge the strings are plucked, the mellower the sound will be. Moving closer to the bridge will make the tone sharper/snappier. From my listening, Mr. Delcamp was repeating the prior phrase almost like an echo, mellower and quieter than the first iteration.

When I start working on this piece I'll be leaving that move out until I can do the rest fairly fluently and without having to think too much about what notes I'm playing.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”