D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
User avatar
Zafar Haq
Posts: 587
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:19 pm
Location: Missisuga,Toronto,Canada

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Zafar Haq » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi,
Please check these hand exercises.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWmDbbYH ... Mg&index=6
Another one. Two exercise videos. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_UQA50t ... 3uPpepqnpQ

PaulAshley

D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by PaulAshley » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:59 pm

I can't yet do this each time I try, but this is the best take of this so far.

I do notice that when using the rest stroke the string on which the finger comes to rest will sound when that finger is again lifted. This results in assort of G-string drone in the background. Perhaps that's unavoidable or perhaps I have to develop a lighter touch.

[media]https://youtu.be/5CMcD1pMcG4[/media]
Last edited by PaulAshley on Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaulAshley

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by PaulAshley » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:06 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:Hi,
Please check these hand exercises. ...
Thanks, Zafar. I bookmarked those. I'm also realizing I need to strengthen my left arm and shoulder!

User avatar
Marko Räsänen
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3840
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:56 am
Location: Finland

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:14 pm

PaulAshley wrote:I do notice that when using the rest stroke the string on which the finger comes to rest will sound when that finger is again lifted. This results in assort of G-string drone in the background. Perhaps that's unavoidable or perhaps I have to develop a lighter touch.
Hi Paul, what I think you're hearing is the sympathetic resonance from the lower strings, especially the 4th. It will pick the D's and A's played on the higher strings quite well. You can try resting your thumb on the 4th string to note the difference. The 3rd string will react similarly to G played 1st string, and D played on 2nd string, although when using rest stroke that's not an issue, because it will be damped by the plucking finger. 5th string will resonate to A's and E's, and 6th string to E's and B's.

If you'll listen to Professor Delcamp's playing of the piece, you'll notice that he has the same problem even though he's trying to mute bass strings with his thumb.

There are many contributing factors to the loudness of the sympathetic ringing: strings, responsiveness of the guitar, the size and acoustic quality of the room you're playing in, ...
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

PaulAshley

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by PaulAshley » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:36 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote:Hi Paul, what I think you're hearing is the sympathetic resonance from the lower strings, especially the 4th. It will pick the D's and A's played on the higher strings quite well. You can try resting your thumb on the 4th string to note the difference. The 3rd string will react similarly to G played 1st string, and D played on 2nd string, although when using rest stroke that's not an issue, because it will be damped by the plucking finger. 5th string will resonate to A's and E's, and 6th string to E's and B's.

If you'll listen to Professor Delcamp's playing of the piece, you'll notice that he has the same problem even though he's trying to mute bass strings with his thumb.

There are many contributing factors to the loudness of the sympathetic ringing: strings, responsiveness of the guitar, the size and acoustic quality of the room you're playing in, ...
Thanks for this explanation, Marko. I tried the 4th string thumb placement and do like it better.

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:17 am

PaulAshley wrote:I can't yet do this each time I try, but this is the best take of this so far.

I do notice that when using the rest stroke the string on which the finger comes to rest will sound when that finger is again lifted. This results in assort of G-string drone in the background. Perhaps that's unavoidable or perhaps I have to develop a lighter touch.

[media]https://youtu.be/5CMcD1pMcG4[/media]
I think this is a very very good rendition Paul! :bravo: Notes are clear, timing is good, and you are putting feeling into it.

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:27 am

Rajesh Dhungel wrote:Hello everyone, these are my Recordings, I'am open to suggestions. :casque:

The C Major Scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYVNGiRTjxk


Exercise NO. 20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6723UxMmhek


Une Souris Verte

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQXQAV4Idq4



J'ai Du Bon Tabac

http://youtu.be/9FlUpVvtIA8

:merci:

Hi,
Perhaps the problem is on my end but I can barely hear the audio even with my computer and the You Tube volume slider all the way cranked up. Anyone else having same issue? But from what I can tell you are going along just fine very rapidly and with clear notes and excellent hand positions. Only wish I could hear at appropriate volume. Perhaps you are already ready for D02 or beyond?

PaulAshley

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by PaulAshley » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:21 am

Madeleine Pashkofsky wrote:...I think this is a very very good rendition Paul! :bravo: Notes are clear, timing is good, and you are putting feeling into it.
Thanks, Madeleine. Now if only I could get somewhere with Une souris verte!

PaulAshley

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by PaulAshley » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:39 am

Rajesh Dhungel wrote:Hello everyone, these are my Recordings, I'am open to suggestions. :casque:

The C Major Scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYVNGiRTjxk


Exercise NO. 20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6723UxMmhek


Une Souris Verte

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQXQAV4Idq4


J'ai Du Bon Tabac

http://youtu.be/9FlUpVvtIA8;

:merci:
Rajesh, you are performing so much better than I that I hate to give any critique. I can tell you're comfortable with relocating the thumb, and your right hand is very relaxed, both items I am having trouble with.

I only noticed two things: The scale exercise could use a bit more dynamics, crescendo and decrescendo, and in "Une Souris Verte" I believe you've added an extra beat in measure 10 after the two quarter notes. Nevertheless, your work on the latter piece is far better than anything I've been able to yet achieve.

Jesse Knapp

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Jesse Knapp » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:59 am

Hello everyone,

Sorry I haven't been very active. Hoping to get back on track this week. Just started practicing the new lesson... boy is it hard to get the fingers to do what there told :!:

I find myself like you Paul closing my eyes trying to get my fingers syncing well independantly. Will be posting more soon. :bye:

Jesse Knapp

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Jesse Knapp » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:12 am

[quote="Jeremy Gillard"]Here are my submissions for this lesson. As always, comments & suggestions are welcome.

Jeremy,

Your submissions sounded great to me. :bravo:

I guess if I had to recommend something I would say to try slowing down (not that your tempo was bad in any way) only to get more feeling into each note you play. Sway that head a little bit and get funky. 8)

Jesse Knapp

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Jesse Knapp » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:24 am

Rajesh Dhungel wrote:Hello everyone, these are my Recordings, I'am open to suggestions. :casque:

The C Major Scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYVNGiRTjxk


Exercise NO. 20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6723UxMmhek


Une Souris Verte

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQXQAV4Idq4


J'ai Du Bon Tabac

http://youtu.be/9FlUpVvtIA8

:merci:

Rajesh,

Excellent playing. I thought my laptop was messed up as I could't really hear your audio at first but after I plugged my headphones in it was all good. Great job man! :casque:

Jesse Knapp

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Jesse Knapp » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:42 am

PaulAshley wrote:I can't yet do this each time I try, but this is the best take of this so far.

I do notice that when using the rest stroke the string on which the finger comes to rest will sound when that finger is again lifted. This results in assort of G-string drone in the background. Perhaps that's unavoidable or perhaps I have to develop a lighter touch.

[media]https://youtu.be/5CMcD1pMcG4[/media]
Hi Paul,

I think your playing was great. :bravo:

I find myself having the same problems that you are having with the other strings resonating...I thought it was just my guitar but I guess it is a common thing to happen. I think I have a heavy hand as well when it comes to my "i" and "a" fingers. I think we will get it worked out though as the lessons continue.

On another note and off topic but I enjoyed some of your other videos on Youtube as I drank a hot cup of tea. Your a great singer and player! :D

PaulAshley

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by PaulAshley » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:14 pm

Jesse Knapp wrote:
Hi Paul,

I think your playing was great. :bravo:

I find myself having the same problems that you are having with the other strings resonating...I thought it was just my guitar but I guess it is a common thing to happen. I think I have a heavy hand as well when it comes to my "i" and "a" fingers. I think we will get it worked out though as the lessons continue.

On another note and off topic but I enjoyed some of your other videos on Youtube as I drank a hot cup of tea. Your a great singer and player! :D
Thanks, Jesse. Glad you enjoyed my other videos. Now if only I could translate that to this new genre; I'm having a tough time of it so far.

PaulAshley

D01-02 Une Souris Verte

Post by PaulAshley » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:16 pm

I'm really struggling with this one but here is the best take of this I've been able to get so far. I'll admit up front that this is done primarily with free strokes because I'm having problems doing it with rest strokes.

[media]https://youtu.be/O1LXEHPgDIU[/media]

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”