D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Zafar Haq

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Zafar Haq » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:23 pm

Hi, Fellow Classmates,
Here are my study video assignments for Lesson 2.
My self assessment for myself.
1. No change in playability from previous month. Same slow tempo,pauses, delays etc. :(
2. Music sheet reading ability improved.
3. Performing physical hand exercises, improve the finger and hand blood circulation, Over all better feeling of wellness.In exercise 20, my right hand middle finger was not responding at all to apply free stroke from its rest position. I recorded my exercise 20 video on Oct 13 with out middle finger activity.Today, you can observe that middle finger at least performed the free strokes in exercise 20 assignment. :)
4.I'll try to record UNE SOURIS VERTE study video again.Not happy with the result.

Here is C Maj Study assignment
[media]https://youtu.be/b6wZUA_NVfY[/media]

Exercise 20 Study assignment
[media]https://youtu.be/4oLVrc8qmkk[/media]

J'AI DU BON TABAC Study video
[media]https://youtu.be/yC6DXgs2is8[/media]

UNE SOURIS Study video
[media]https://youtu.be/T3q6dX0M8Y8[/media]
I'm ready for your comments, advice. :)

TomRichmond

Post by TomRichmond » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:52 pm

Hi Zafar,

I'm curious about your posture, which looks pretty good to me. What I'd like to know is how you are elevating your guitar. It looks like you might be using a footstool for your left foot, but you also have a blanket between your guitar and your leg. And the guitar projects slightly upward toward yourself.

Thanks for the feedback, just curious how others are doing it.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:11 pm

Hi, TomRichmond,
good to see you.
I'm happy, you ask my posture question.
Nothing special.
This guitar is quite shinny and slippery. I found two non slippery towels and one grey color sheet also provide some surface friction to guitar. These three items placed on my left thigh under guitar to keep the guitar at its fixed position without slipping.
Yes, I have home made wooden stool under my left foot. Again, stool is quite rigid and foot is comfortably balanced with out worrying. I heard that commercial stools loose its support, the rubber lamination on top of the stool etc. How about your practice?
See you soon.

Mikko Helenius

Post by Mikko Helenius » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:38 am

Hello everyone!

Here are my lesson number 2 videos:

C-major scale
[media]https://youtu.be/QCDkwFNf_ls[/media]

Exercise no. 20
[media]https://youtu.be/P_rahfaxgWQ[/media]

J´ai du bon tabac
[media]https://youtu.be/Gh10yftN9iw[/media]

Une souris verte
[media]https://youtu.be/Q7RQg8LdyME[/media]

Mikko Helenius

Post by Mikko Helenius » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:48 am

To Paul Ashley:

You should try to play the tabac song as you did the souris verte. Your wrist was in segovia like angle in the first video that made your sound a bit thin and sharp. But on your second video your sound was already much better! Maybe you could also practise playing only repeated I, m, a on free strings that your volume nor the sound would not change between fingers.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:29 pm

Hi, Mikko Helenius,
Well played.
Few of my observations,
1.In C Maj Scale Mr.Delcamp video demonstrate by playing using rest strokes. We students at D01 level, follows Mr. Delcamp and the music sheets provided by the Delcamp forum. Mr.Delcamp also advice students to watch for damping on descending in C Maj scale study.
2.Try to improve lighting and guitar position, so I, myself and rest of students watch your studies and learn and be able to express our comments and advice if any.
3. Try to record when it is quite in your surrounding. Your audio quality is good. Just improve the visual part.
4.I can not see your right hand clearly in exercise 20.
5.J'AI DU BON TABAC study video, you played it very well. Just try rest strokes (apoyando function is mentioned in music sheet) instead of free strokes. Teach me how to coordinate both hands for smooth playing with out pause or break.
6.You played UNE SORIS study video very well, played the repeat where applicable in music sheet. You are playing one octave higher instead of lower octave. We new students need to be on same page to play,understand and comment. Try rest strokes to follow Mr.Delcamp demonstration video as well the music sheet demand.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:22 pm

Hi, Rajesh Dhungel,
Today, I have the opportunity to watch your lesson 2 study videos. My comments are all positive.
1.Audio recording quality is low. Try to move your mic closer to guitar sound hole. With full volume, I hear hiss and low audio.
2.Excellent playability. Temo is fast. Rhythm, melody, both right and left hand coordination work very well.
3. C Maj scale try dynamic effect by playing gradual loudness on ascending and gradual decrease in loudness as you return back to " C" quarter note. :)
4. Just to ask personal question.
Any body in your home, play music or I say musical family, or in your school or college you were taught any music lessons. How about your music sheet reading skills. How you practice so both hands work and respond in coordination. :)

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:26 pm

Hi, PaulAshley,
This morning I watch your study videos.
Well done.
You are playing better. Your tempo, Rhythm, melody are all good. Video audio quality is good. I can see both hands.
In UNE SOURIS VERTE, try to damp strings where music sheet demand.
For both hand physical exercises, I provided links to exercises. These exercises do wonders, I'm witness to myself after performing regularly these exercises.

Kushtrim Avdiu

Post by Kushtrim Avdiu » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi, Mikko Helenius
I agree with Zafar Haq's feedback, you are using free stokes only. I know its easier to play free stokes but in classical guitar rest strokes should be learned first.
On exercise no.20 you are using only the fingers p and i for all string. That is not the point of the exercise, if you watch Mr. Delcamp video on exercise 20 and you will se that ur are not using the right fingerings and damping.

Mikko Helenius

Post by Mikko Helenius » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:24 am

Thank you Zafar and Kushtrim for your comments. For me for me all else except the notes are only suggestions and I do not like to have too many "rules" :D . For me, the key for smooth playing is to learn the tune/piece by heart so that you can just relax and play. Because of this I had only watched the sheet music to ex. 20 then plead it by heart and you are right Kushtrim I falsely used only p and i fingers using p,i,m,a would have mode sense.

Rajesh Dhungel
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rajesh Dhungel » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:48 am

Zafar Haq wrote:Hi, Rajesh Dhungel,
Today, I have the opportunity to watch your lesson 2 study videos. My comments are all positive.
1.Audio recording quality is low. Try to move your mic closer to guitar sound hole. With full volume, I hear hiss and low audio.
2.Excellent playability. Temo is fast. Rhythm, melody, both right and left hand coordination work very well.
3. C Maj scale try dynamic effect by playing gradual loudness on ascending and gradual decrease in loudness as you return back to " C" quarter note. :)
4. Just to ask personal question.
Any body in your home, play music or I say musical family, or in your school or college you were taught any music lessons. How about your music sheet reading skills. How you practice so both hands work and respond in coordination. :)

No, I think it is practice and passion that makes all the difference. One thing while practising I never look at my hands, most of the time I look at the sheets. :merci:

Sasa Durakovic

Post by Sasa Durakovic » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:17 pm

Hello my classmates

Here are my attempts on lesson 2.

C Major
[media]https://youtu.be/q6gaik63RLU[/media]

Lesson nr.20
[media]https://youtu.be/PxArWz80Tz4[/media]

J ai du bon tabac
[media]https://youtu.be/AXsxwkoGj0w[/media]

Une souris verte
[media]https://youtu.be/NSuIBuQVnF0[/media]

I had some problem with Une souris verte and it don't sound quite right to me but, but.
I still have much to work with different things and my posture sometimes is bad when i think on my left or right hand position.
Sasa

PaulAshley

Post by PaulAshley » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:18 pm

Kushtrim Avdiu wrote:Hi, Mikko Helenius
I agree with Zafar Haq's feedback, you are using free stokes only. I know its easier to play free stokes but in classical guitar rest strokes should be learned first.
On exercise no.20 you are using only the fingers p and i for all string. That is not the point of the exercise, if you watch Mr. Delcamp video on exercise 20 and you will se that ur are not using the right fingerings and damping.
I'm having a tough time with the rest strokes and did a web search about them and discovered many discussions about their use. In a thread on this very site, one instructor, not wanting to discourage the students, I assume, said that he taught them second due to their difficulty. Nevertheless I will keep trying to work on them with these lessons, though not letting my inability to master them get in the way of getting other things working.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:25 pm

Hi, Sasa
Not bad, You played all studies well. Few observations.
1.In C Maj scale study video, You did right on ascending from low "C" to high "C" and clicked the higher "C" duration of quarter note. On descending, you again played a quarter note on open "b". In music sheet "b" is 1/8.Minor mistake. You may try practice the dynamic (Crescendo and Decrescendo) part by gradually increasing the loudness on ascending and gradually decreasing the loudness on descending.
2. In exercise 20, you did it well. Your thumb and three fingers planted on respective strings. You apply free strokes 4 times both on thumb and other three fingers as music sheet stated.
3.In J'AI DU BON TABAC, measure 3 and measure 19 "f" quarter note to be played twice. In your study video, I hear only one time "f" note sound both at measure 3 and measure 19. May other students observe it differently. Minor mistake. You played it well. Tempo good, Practice Rhythm, Melody good, Video quality good, audio quality volume good. Slight hiss observed.
4. UNE SOURIS study video, you played it well. You repeated the phrases as shown in music sheet.

theElss

Post by theElss » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:19 am

Hi everbody!

I am a student in the french counterpart of this course, and I just wanted to say hello. I have listened to what you have posted here, and I say :bravo: to everybody! Of course, some of you have another background than some others, having probably already played the guitar, but everybody is doing well. Keep going! (And maybe you can pass by and say hello in the french forum...)

Étienne

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”