D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Duang Turongratanachai

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:01 am

Hi all,
Here are my submissions of lesson 02.
I have tried to record as a video and it takes me ages to calm my nerves down (nearly hundred times/piece) :chaud:
Hope I do the right thing when posting these clips, I have never posted video clips before... :?

Exercise P 87 No.9
[media]https://youtu.be/e3xl7jThUEg[/media]

Exercise P 102 No.54
[media]https://youtu.be/3RD6lS6lrDE[/media]

Sor Exercise II Opus 35
[media]https://youtu.be/yHnxj4uWu7g[/media]

Carcassi Valse Opus 59
[media]https://youtu.be/MhAjKFrD6-o[/media]

Moderator edit: fixed the youtube links.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:29 am

Very good Duang!
Congratulations for posting your first videos, they are really good and I enjoyed watching your left hand.
I liked your Sor piece and it was good to hear you playing Carcassi which is quite long but you played it very well.

Bea :)

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:31 pm

Thanks Bea. I have decided to record as video as you have suggest. I have to try very hard not to think about what I was doing to keep my hands stop shaking.. And one thing that I think would give me more confident is to memorise the piece so I don't have to worry about looking at the music!
The Carcassi one I think I need to concentrate more on the first 8 bars to make the sound more clean. :D
Duang

Halil Akaydin

Post by Halil Akaydin » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:45 pm

Hi Duang, nice job on your recordings. After you do a few more the nervousness will begin to go away. ;)

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:29 pm

Hello all,
just checking in, will post feedback momentarily on the videos submitted thus far. I have been practicing hard but am finding it quite challenging. I am battling a split open-thumb (RH/bass) as well as numbness in my pinky and ring fingers on my left hand. It could be from a number of things, but the only new thing is D03 and these hard stretches. It is painful.

On Sor's piece I am regularly botching the boxed area when I approach it, and then when I repeat it (immediately) I get it just right. I wish I could skip the first attempt! Mostly what I am doing is just lifting up my pinky finger, rather than dragging it a bit across that high e-string to get a nice pull-off sound. Also trying to get clean, good sounds at the end of measure 3 and beginning of measure 4, the C/E and B/D combinations. Anyway so far D03 is quite the challenge for me thus far.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:38 pm

Halil Akaydin wrote:My submissions for this month. Good practicing to everyone. :bye:
Halil,

That was really nice! #9 - wow. Very clean and hard to beat. Were you the one who wrote about putting 1,2,3 down first and then the pinky? Anyway I would like to know how you did it. It's so hard for me. #54 was very good. I thought at one point I heard the D ring out a little after the G or B, but I listened to it a couple more times and could not pinpoint it. So no problem there. Nicely done.

Sor's piece was generally very nice despite the slow tempo. I was really impressed with how you played the 2nd measure of line 4 the first time through. Almost trill-like (is that the term?). Anyway, the pace was a little uneven here and there, but I would be very pleased to be able to play it as well as you did.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:08 pm

Duang - very nicely done. You did yeoman's work in adding the bonus waltz! #9 was great; #54 was very good and I liked how your camera captured the strings so well, so we could see and hear the damping. You did forget to dampen the last note though. The Sor piece was very well done, if a bit slow. But more importantly, very clean - you hit all the notes and you kept a good consistent tempo. Bravo!

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:11 pm

Beatriz Martin wrote:Hi, can you guys, please give me feedback on this exercise? My hand and fingers don't hurts anymore, but i still need flexibility. Thanks
Kudos for posting early. I can offer few suggestions but will commiserate with you as I struggle with this painful exercise as well. The hardest part for me by far is when the ring finger (3) is on the bass G. My pinky just wants to turn in and seems magnetically repelled from the D#.

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:22 am

CarlWestman wrote:Duang - very nicely done. You did yeoman's work in adding the bonus waltz! #9 was great; #54 was very good and I liked how your camera captured the strings so well, so we could see and hear the damping. You did forget to dampen the last note though. The Sor piece was very well done, if a bit slow. But more importantly, very clean - you hit all the notes and you kept a good consistent tempo. Bravo!
Thanks Carl. I had more time for this lesson because it's school's half term break, next week it's normal school day :(
I think the damping is the hardest, I need to really concentrate and think all the time while playing which notes should be dampen.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:36 pm

Halil, I liked all your recordings very much! Exercises are perfect, although especially for exercise 9 I would prefer a video too. I like opus 35 very much, especially your personal input, the speed change and tempo. I agree with Pauls comment about opus 35, but this is not important and is very easy to correct.

:bravo:

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:53 pm

Duang, congratulations on your 1st video recordings! They are very good, if you didn't tell us about stress we would not think that you have any seeing these videos!

In exercise 9 you should be careful to change finger positions last moment, keep the fingers on fret, don't lift them when they are not needed. For example when you play Fa# with 2 you lift your fingers. You should let them there and lift them just before playing do with 1. This makes the exercise harder and you make better stretches.

Exercise 54 and opus 35 are very good.
I opus 59 I would suggest to play more legato, let the notes ring till next starts.

:bravo:

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:15 pm

Videos this time :)
Not the best recording angles but at least the sound from opus 35 is from my recorder.
I changed strings (tried La Bella 2001) and think that the problem with low volume of basses you mentioned in recordings of lesson 1 is resolved.

Thank you for comments!

exercises number 9 on page 87
[media]https://youtu.be/KiQpdjRV-ow[/media]

number 54 on page 102
[media]https://youtu.be/odB2aIrwpJU[/media]

Fernando SOR EXERCICE II opus 35
[media]https://youtu.be/E-59e7l0_AY[/media]
Last edited by Haris Karachristianidis on Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:29 pm

HI Haris,

Your submissions are excellent.

You exercise number 9 amazing. It looks like you don't even have to try to get the last stretch!!

Similarly, your number 54 is great.

I really, really like your Sor Opus 35. You play it very smoothly and lyrically. Well done!! (As an aside, for some reason, the audio was only coming out of the left side on this piece which is a pity because it takes away from your fantastic performance).

Paul

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:00 pm

Duang Turongratanachai wrote:Hi all,
Here are my submissions of lesson 02.
I have tried to record as a video and it takes me ages to calm my nerves down (nearly hundred times/piece) :chaud:
Hope I do the right thing when posting these clips, I have never posted video clips before... :?
Hi Duang,

Well done on posting your first videos. I must say that you didn't look at all nervous to me!!

Your two exercises were excellent. Well done.

Your Sor Opus 35 was very nicely played. One thing I did notice is that you didn't play the last line of the 2nd section the way it is written. If you listen to the recordings from Haris and Halil you will hear that the last line is actually different. Other than this, it was really good.

Keep up the good work.

Paul

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:14 am

Hi Haris
Your submissions are all excellent. On ex.9, it seems very easy when you play the stretch. :-)
Your Sor one was very smooth.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”