D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
CarlWestman

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by CarlWestman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:26 pm

Terrific, Bea! I enjoyed your playing. I am convinced that your CG efforts outside of Delcamp have really helped accelerate your development as a player. No doubt it has at times been quite a lot of pressure ... to play live - no chance to re-record and delete the bad takes!

I am sheepish to make any critiques because I am bringing up the caboose as it were, skill-wise, here in D03. I may be hitting a wall, for a number of reasons (time, ability, physical limitations/bothersome numbness in hands etc). But since constructive criticism is required and useful, I'll mention a couple of things. One is just mastering the piece in terms of hitting all notes cleanly and clearly. Sometimes they are accidentally muted, such as around 4-5 seconds in. Of course that was made up for by your really good handling of that difficult slur at 0:37 and 1:01, something that still trips me up fairly often ... but at least not always.

On exercise 54, I think your note durations are off after about 6 seconds in. The treble notes are held noticeably longer than the bass notes. You mute them well, though.

That's all I have to suggest. When my stuff is posted, I suspect the best advice I'll get is "keep practicing!" :oops:

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:33 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote: I notice too that artifact, I have noticed it in other recordings of D02 too. I don't know where it comes. It is not a sound that was recorded.
I play with nails but the sound is not from there. I play with my pc on because audio is captured in real time by Audacity. But this sound is not from my pc too. It is a software artifact that is produced in the process of editing. I use Audacity and Cinelerra. I have to find out... Thank you for mentioning.
It may be from your PC's interface with Audacity. I had such difficulty getting good recording on my PC (for instance, picking up fan sounds) that I went to an external recorder, the Tascam DR-05. Then I copy the recording file to the computer and trim it with audacity. But having a mic plugged into the PC desktop or part of the laptop - I could never get a good recording. I think sometimes I'd pick up fan noise; other times I think it was more electrical interference of some sort. Despite the artifacts yours are far better than what I could do; I'm not sure I'd change what I was doing if I were you, unless you want a perfect quality recording to give your children/grandchildren. It's plenty good enough.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:37 pm

Thank you Carl, I though too of electrical interference.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:19 am

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:I rescaled and reuploaded the 2 videos: opus 35 and exercise 54 and doubled this mono audio recording, so now in Fernando SOR EXERCICE II opus 35 audio comes from both sides.
I can still only hear the sound from left.

Regarding the audio artifact you and Carl were discussing, I didn't notice it in your lesson 1 audio only recordings, so I think it has to do with combining the audio with video. One possible cause for this could be that you're recording at 44.1kHz, like you normally would do recording for a CD. When the audio is combined with video, it will be upsampled into 48kHz (depending on audio and video formats, but at least generally this can be the case for high quality video/audio). If the upsampling is done badly, it can introduce audible artifacts like that. To prevent this from happening (and to generally play it safe) you should record the audio in 48kHz. If you're already doing that, my guess would still be that the culprit is the video editing program.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:19 pm

Marko, you are right.. Sound was coming only from one channel again.. I edited again audio and video tracks and so, finally the 1 audio channel I recorded can be heard from both sides. I found what my mistake was. Sorry, but it was the 1st recorder audio combined with video for this year.

You are right for the artifacts too! I was recording at 44.1kHz because I used the recorder as audio interface. So I recorded to Audacity in real time. The only choice recording this way was 44.1kHz. So I have to record to the recorders SD card with 48kHz from now on and import to pc..
Thank you for your invaluable help! I would never find the reason for this.. (Of course a new recording without artifacts has to prove this, but I am sure it will happen)

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:45 am

Hi Carl, thanka for your comments. I am looking forward to hearing/watching your recordings.

abel

Post by abel » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:05 pm

Hi Haris,
I have heard your recording and it is very goog.
greetings.

abel

Post by abel » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:11 pm

Hi Beatriz,
Your Fernando Sor piece is good-
go on!

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:59 pm

p. 102 n. 54 – http://youtu.be/YrhgSApP8Po
Extensions – http://youtu.be/Tt2HHibFiwc

Fernando Sor (1778-1839)
Exercise II opus 35
en do majeur
de "24 Exercices très faciles soigneuseument doigtés pour la guitare"
(audio only)

regrettably, this is the best I could do with this one, and it's not for lack of practice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:37 am

Thanks Abel for the comment.

Carl, good job with exercise 53! In extensions I think your are not supposed to lift the fingers until you are going to use that finger, for example, you lift the index from fretting the first fret on the sixth string before pressing the second fret with the middle.
I cant listen to your Sor on tapatalk, so will wait
until I am at the computer to listen to it.
Cheers!.

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:30 pm

Congratulations Carl. I like your exercise 54. The extensions, it sounds ok. Your Sor one For me it's a bit rush and the sound of the recording is not quite clear. But it 's great over all. :-)
Duang

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:47 am

Carl, I liked all your recordings!
You play easily the last note of the extensions which is the most difficult part of the exercise. I agree with Bea, that you should not have lifted your fingers that are not needed till you have to use them.
Dampings are also nice!
Opus 35 is good, I agree with Duang that its tempo is a bit quick for me, but of course this is personal taste. The basses are not heard clearly in some parts of this recording, I mean they are not as loud as they should.

To publish your videos on the forum use the code that you will see if you quote a post with videos.

Very good over all!!

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:14 pm

Beatriz Martin wrote:Thanks Abel for the comment.

Carl, good job with exercise 53! In extensions I think your are not supposed to lift the fingers until you are going to use that finger, for example, you lift the index from fretting the first fret on the sixth string before pressing the second fret with the middle.
I cant listen to your Sor on tapatalk, so will wait
until I am at the computer to listen to it.
Cheers!.
Thanks for the feedback, Bea. I agree that i have much to work on, but I didn't lift my index from the bass string. Are you referring to the first couple seconds on the video? (if not pls. reference the time). It is true that I had to work on not lifting my pinky early from the bass string in the later part of the video but I don't recall that ever being an issue for the earlier part. Perhaps I'm blind to it?

I was using a shorter scale guitar (JC-23) for the reaches ... and ended up using it for the Sor piece ... but I've decided I do not care for the sound. I think even my travel Rover sounds better, so it's going back. Too bad, it's made quite well in terms of the frets, finish and so forth ... better than the Cordoba I (Dolce) tried this spring. I think I'll just stick to the Rover or capo my full scale guitar when necessary.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:16 pm

Duang Turongratanachai wrote:Congratulations Carl. I like your exercise 54. The extensions, it sounds ok. Your Sor one For me it's a bit rush and the sound of the recording is not quite clear. But it 's great over all. :-)
Duang
Thanks, Duang. I agree, the sound is not very good. Same recorder, different guitar. My playing needs work, but the guitar just doesn't sound very good. Very plastic-y sound. It's going back.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:19 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:Carl, I liked all your recordings!
You play easily the last note of the extensions which is the most difficult part of the exercise. I agree with Bea, that you should not have lifted your fingers that are not needed till you have to use them.
Dampings are also nice!
Opus 35 is good, I agree with Duang that its tempo is a bit quick for me, but of course this is personal taste. The basses are not heard clearly in some parts of this recording, I mean they are not as loud as they should.

To publish your videos on the forum use the code that you will see if you quote a post with videos.

Very good over all!!
Clearly you all are seeing something I'm not, or I'm misunderstanding. Are you saying I'm not holding the bass note for the duration? Or are you saying something about the fingers on the treble string? If you're saying that fingers 2,3, and 4 should stay put until needed, I am probably guilty of that. My guess is that a) I didn't realize that was how it was supposed to be done, and b) I thought I should lift them lest the note value extend beyond its intended duration.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”