D01 Classical guitar lesson 03

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Bert Stendahl

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Bert Stendahl » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:41 am

Even tempo, that's good. :bravo:
Madeleine Pashkofsky wrote:Hi all,
Here are my other two exercises, albeit very late. I became busy with work and holiday activities. These are both still a big work in progress and I have much more practice to do on them!
Never Mind the Bollocks

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:17 am

Hi, zhihao-wang,
Well done.
I watched and listen and compare it to music sheet note by note of your study videos this morning.
Tempo, Rhythm,Melody sound good to me.Lighting,video quality,audio quality and level are audible.
One observation about your right hand wrist and fingers. Try to make wrist relax and keep fingers straight on to strings.In your videos, I see right hand wrist and fingers bend to reach the strings.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi, Madeleine Pashkofsky,
Well done.
I, watched and listen to both of your home work studies.
Tempo, Rhythm sounded good to me. I compared your playing with music sheets. All notes were played.Video, lighting, audio quality are all fine.No other comment.Just slightly pan your recording device to cover your left hand.

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:08 pm

Thank you Bert and Zafar for your very helpful comments. It can be a challenge getting a satisfactory image in the video so I will work more on that. Thank you Zafar for pointing this out.

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:41 pm

Good work. :D Hands look placed well, and relaxed. All correct notes as far as I can tell. Be care about note durations and rests; in "Leccion 5a" at the very end of the first line, there is a quarter rest after that C note. I think you played during that rest. You need to wait a quarter beat there.
Also, on "Si Si Re" I would encourage working on the timing a bit more. You've got it already, just needs to be a bit tighter, as some of your notes are a bit lagging and not landing exactly on the beat. But that is not an easy piece! Very good also with consistency in your tone and on the muting. :bravo:
zhihao-wang wrote:Hi all, here is my homework. Any comments will be appreciated. :merci:
Good moring to all
[media]https://youtu.be/WwUg_SP590g[/media]

Leccion 5a
[media]https://youtu.be/8YC8ltL1Xb4[/media]

Lo NOUS MARCHONS SUR UN ETROIT CHEMIN
[media]https://youtu.be/twMTGSDoc3U[/media]

si si re
[media]https://youtu.be/aF_rUaA15ys[/media]

zhihao-wang

Post by zhihao-wang » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:15 am

Hi Zafar Haq and Madeleine Pashkofsky

Thanks for your helpful advices.

Exactly. The plucking hand's position and timing(or rhythm) are two weak points of my playing. I will practise on them more. Hope I can do better in the next homework.

Zhihao

Mikko Helenius

Post by Mikko Helenius » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:39 am

I have not been able to comment others so actively during this lesson but I am trying to find some time soon enough. Anyway here are my versions, and I am happy to take any advices/criticism. Sorry, about the RH that is out of the picture in the three first videos.

LO NOUS MARCHONS SUR UN ETROIT CHEMIN
[media]https://youtu.be/TcoUfQ40KTE[/media]
SI SI RE
[media]https://youtu.be/Yi1QuVx6CKQ[/media]
GOOD-MORNING TO ALL
[media]https://youtu.be/gvvAM3E06WU[/media]
LECCION 5A
[media]https://youtu.be/NuVbCkm3-WQ[/media]

Mikko Helenius

Post by Mikko Helenius » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:14 am

Here are some comments:

Zafar: I think you should lift your guitar up, closer to your belly and chest, also the guitar headstock (perhaps) could be closer to your own head. Also Chu might benefit for angling the guitar head stock closer to your own since then less efforts are needed for supporting your LH on the side.

Sasa and Claude: You should focus more to get the right rhythm it far more important than high tempo. Start very slow and eventually try to increase the tempo little by little until it is fast enough. Also, Sasa you posture resembles sometimes more western than classical style.

Paul: Your tone on the treble strings sounds quite sharp. Are you pressing the string down towards the sound board and not pulling? If so you could try to use more flies or attack more diagonally to get the tone softer.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:38 am

Mikko Helenius wrote:I have not been able to comment others so actively during this lesson but I am trying to find some time soon enough. Anyway here are my versions, and I am happy to take any advices/criticism. Sorry, about the RH that is out of the picture in the three first videos.
Mikko
Are you having problems with the LH stretch in 1st position? I appreciate it is easier to play in V, but if it isn't a hand injury or congenital problem it might be worth persevering.
One of the things that attracted me to this course is that although the pieces are very simple and basic they are designed to introduce and develop specific techniques, which makes them harder to play but will pay dividends in the future if we have the stamina to keep going.
As you are not following the exercises I will find it difficult to make meaningful comments other than at top level eg timing.
Hope you decide to stick with it.
All the best
Colin

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:02 am

zhihao-wang wrote:Hi all, here is my homework. Any comments will be appreciated. :merci:
Zhihao
Agree with Madeleine and Zafar, it will come with practice.
In Leccion 5 you appear to miss the damping of the G, end of bar 4 and elsewhere.

Mikko Helenius

Post by Mikko Helenius » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:23 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Mikko
Are you having problems with the LH stretch in 1st position? I appreciate it is easier to play in V, but if it isn't a hand injury or congenital problem it might be worth persevering.
One of the things that attracted me to this course is that although the pieces are very simple and basic they are designed to introduce and develop specific techniques, which makes them harder to play but will pay dividends in the future if we have the stamina to keep going.
As you are not following the exercises I will find it difficult to make meaningful comments other than at top level eg timing.
Hope you decide to stick with it.
All the best
Colin

Hello Colin,

I would say that the stretches in Leccion 5a from the fifth position are far more difficult than any stretch in the first position in these pieces, so no hand problems. Fingerings are only suggestions in any given sheet music, it is the notes that matters. I do not think that there are any strict rules about how you have to play here in Delcamp. I want to practise playing in other positions than the first one with these simple tunes, so I play these pieces in my way. Except if it is a real technical exercise as si si re that I play as suggested.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:07 pm

Bert Stendahl wrote:City people can be picky!
Bert
I hope that was a pun from the wilderness folk!

Got your mp3s going. Can only comment on Leccion 5 as this is as far as I've got in my catchup. Are you putting in the rest at the end of the 1st half?
Sounds good overall, some notes stronger than others but smoothness will come with practice.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:09 pm

Jay Gutknecht wrote:Here are my lessons for this week.
Jay, can't hear your mp3s as systems says they are no longer available! Have you removed them?

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:26 pm

Claude Huddy wrote:I agree Chu Bun
I am wondering what to do about it - I try to not watch my left hand thinking it will be the best approach but of course while I was learning this I did not watch what my left hand was doing when fingers were not in use
Plan A is to consciously watch and keep control - speed and accuracy will be my main worries
Thankyou for your comments and I am open to any suggestions to improve
Claude
I wouldn't worry about speed at this point. Work at a speed where you can get the fingers into position on time. Try to get LH so that the fingers hover over the correct position for each fret and try to keep them there, less movement the better - easy for me to say, but doing different story!

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:28 pm

Hi folks, just starting on 03 so hope to post next week. Didn't want to listen and comment until had an opportunity to try the pieces before hearing how they should be played.
Sounds as though everyone is making great progress

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”