D03 Classical guitar lesson 03

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
CarlWestman

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by CarlWestman » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:57 pm

Hello all!

Last week I was gone to visit friends and family for the US "Thanksgiving" holiday. And in 2 days I depart again for a working trip ... I do hope to contribute some constructive critiques (or more likely, downright praise and appreciation) for those who have already posted. I had recorded all but Greensleeves before my trip last week, but didn't get around to combining the audio & video until today. I recorded Greensleeves yesterday. My tempo is slightly faster, which you can consider a mistake if you like, but I did it on purpose. I felt 1:20 was just too slow for that piece, both to play and to hear - just my taste. I have heard other versions and perhaps the tempo of those versions is how I have internalized the tune. Anyway I love the tune and am so glad it showed up here (at last! Took til level 3, kind of surprised me, thought it would be earlier).

The slurs were hard for me. For some reason I find that the first time youtube plays it, the first note is really muffled. If it sounds nearly absent to you, please press repeat (it's only 5 seconds) and see if it isn't a little better. I know it's far from perfect, though.

My Paganini was a little choppy, oh well. I liked the second half of that piece, up the neck, but not the first part so much.

The F-scale, again, seems to me we could have that at level 1, or 2 at the latest.

Slurs
[media]https://youtu.be/y5Sa8fpoDAk[/media]
F scale
[media]https://youtu.be/YITq3xV1vqw[/media]
Valtz
[media]https://youtu.be/eBC8Qg80lTc[/media]
Greensleeves
[media]https://youtu.be/oOdvo6IFRck[/media]
moderator: Fixed Youtube links

Mariano Martínez Gallego

Post by Mariano Martínez Gallego » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:42 pm

Hello CarlWestman
Linked, left hand fingers should support rope 1.
Escala, avoid looking left.
Valzs. equal time.
Greenslees. Very pretty.

Good exercises Carlwestman.
Mariano.
Mi paso más

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:27 am

Hi thanks for the comments Paul, Haris and Mariano.
Mariano, I didn't try appogiatura, learning the piece is already hard, in the future I will try it.
Haris, I agree with you in Vals I should make the notes last longer. In regards to the sound I am trying to play a bit louder so it is working but sometimes I forget it during my practice and I play softly. I need to remind myself to play louder to make it a habit.
Paul, you are right my slurs need a bit more work.

:bravo: Haris, your recordings are very good. In exe 30 once you finish a slur, do not lift the finger but let it rest on the first string until you finish the four fingers, that's how delcamp does it.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:41 am

:bravo: Carl for your recordings.
Re exe 30 Mariano already told you not to lift the fingers, once you move a finger to the first string you leave it there until you have finished the four slurs.
In Valtz, I wondered why you use apoyado with the right hand. I don't think apoyado is needed for Valtz. Also this might make it harder for you to play the piece.
The Greensleeves tempo is good, particularly I don't like the tempo in delcamp video. I was wondering if that was the actual tempo because it makes this piece pretty boring and maybe that's why I didn't enjoy it. Or maybe because of the fact that all students has to learn, take a exam of this piece when learning guitar, am I right or not?

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:06 pm

Halil - Your recordings still aren't playing. Sorry if this was subsequently addressed. I saw something about forum maintenance.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:27 pm

Bea,

I enjoyed hearing your pieces as always! You play well, though this time, something in the recording environment seemed different. Maybe a different room in your house with more echo? Your strings sounded more metallic than normal for some reason. Perhaps your guitar has dried out in the heating season? It just sounded very trebly at times.

On the specific pieces - your F major was excellent, though the note durations in the first few notes seemed a bit off. But your graceful movement along the first string was admirable ... you went from position to position quickly and skillfully. Ex 30 was slow but precise. You were right about how I needed to keep my fingers there apoyando without moving them off. I thought i tried that initially and could not get the finger independence necessary to do it, but after I saw your critique of my submissions, I tried it (again) and was able to it, though only very softly.

I loved your pacing on the waltz. Very lively and steady, no hesitation. I agree with the above comments on muting the bass strings. This one also sounded quite staccato, but to a degree, that's to be expected due to the nature of the tune. Muting the bass notes just adds to that sense IMO.

Nice job on Greensleeves. Do you have a new CG? I see the headstock of another in the background. If you've got a new solid-top guitar, be sure to keep it properly humidified. You want it at 40-60% RH; there are many ways to do it, you can email me for my experiences & ideas.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:28 pm

Bea, thank you for comments!

Carl,
Slurs: the 2nd notes are not very loud, try to put some more strength to the moving finger, press the fretboard more.
F major is very good.
Vals: All notes have a duration of 1/8 except in bars 8 and 16 which have duration of 1/4. Especially after bar 9 you play the 1st 2 notes each 1/8 and the 3rd 1/4.
Greensleeves: Very good. I like the tempo too.

:bravo:

P.S. Put your videos in the form of [media]https://youtu.be/oOdvo6IFRck[/media] eg for Greensleeves (http://youtu.be/oOdvo6IFRck) otherwise some admin will possibly correct it.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:41 pm

Haris - wow, those were great performances. Great recording quality too. Details:

F scale - amazing speed combined with fluidity. Well done.
Ex 30 - I see you did as I did, pull the fingers completely off. Have you tried it leaving them on the first string?
Greensleeves - what a powerful rendition! I loved how you returned to the start softly at 0:51. Great musicality there. If there was anything imperfect I could detect, it was a slight hesitation around 0:40 and a glitch in the treble note played around 0:58.
Waltz: you absolutely nailed that pull-off - well done!

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Haris,

w/r/t videos I find that even with high speed internet connection pages with lots of embedded youtube frames [e.g., the first page of every lesson] tend to load annoyingly slow, and posting the links alone reduces my contribution to this slowdown. I suppose others find it annoying to have to open a separate window or tab to play them. I'd be glad to go with the moderator's recommendation on this matter.

C

PS you are right on my note durations. It appears I took my cue more from M. Delcamp's recording than the sheet music - esp. the first time through the second half of the waltz, where the holds that third note a bit each time, or at least had a brief pause before going to the next measure. I see that he didn't do it as much on the repeat. Sometimes I notice if he departs from the written music, but I didn't catch it this time. Thanks for pointing it out. This is a common mistake I make, esp. noticeable when switching from say a series of shorter notes to longer ones, e.g., eighth notes to quarter notes. I sometimes hold that last eighth one too long, or pause, when I should immediately go to the quarter note.
Last edited by CarlWestman on Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stefan Srećković

Post by Stefan Srećković » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:53 pm

We're trying to keep it uniform somewhat. The trendsetter so far has been embedding clips into posts, rather than having links to them on a separate page. Sometimes it's easy to miss other peoples' contributions if they're only put up as links.

Honestly I don't mind either, whatever the majority is up for.

On your videos: You've become much more fluid since the last time I've listened your recordings. Tunes are starting to sound very mellow.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:00 pm

Carl, thank you for comments!
Stefan Srećković wrote:On your videos: You've become much more fluid since the last time I've listened your recordings. Tunes are starting to sound very mellow.
I agree with that, you play without nails and make a very good sound!
Last edited by Haris Karachristianidis on Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:48 pm

Duang, please edit your links because they open not as you have them now.

Exercise 30: It is good, you could try to put more strength to the left hand finger, to make the 2nd note of the slur sound louder.
Vals: Very nice and musical. I like it very much, but Mr Delcamp wants us to damp all basses and I think you don't make any damping in this piece. I damped all notes, which I consider more correct then damp only the bass, since all notes have the same duration, but I don't like how the whole piece sounds. Yours sounds very nice but the basses don't last 1/8th. Also, I think you make the same mistake that I did: In bar 13 in the slur you play sol-fa# instead of sol#-fa#. Am I wrong?
Congratulations for your playing and sound!

:bravo:

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:17 pm

Hi I don't know what have I done wrong. I have left my laptop at school so I have used my iPad to post my pieces but it does not seem to work properly. So I will try to upload one more time,

[media]https://youtu.be/lA6rY8yGbSU[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/3T0Yt9Aorgw[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/C3TtOmgCq_s[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/FhjjC1ckfu8[/media]

Hi again, Haris helps me to correct the links. Thank you so much Haris.
Hope they all work.
Duang
Last edited by Duang Turongratanachai on Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:42 pm

Duang, I sent you pm.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:05 am

Duang, I dont see any videos.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”