D04 Classical guitar lesson 03

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
John Montes

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by John Montes » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:17 am

Hi gang,

Here's a 1st cut of Le Streghe, it still needs some polish, but here's a 1st week cut

Known issues
*flubbed the G bass note in bar 17
*flubbed a couple of notes in the descending A major arpeggio in bar 23 on the 2nd pass through this section @ 0:43
*flubbed the final A bass note in the descending A major arpeggio in bar 23 on the 3rd pass @ 1:50

[media]https://youtu.be/RAutWIP0ac4[/media]
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

WilliamTee

Post by WilliamTee » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:54 am

Hi John,

Nice work on Le Streghe, you nailed the arpeggio.

Cheers
Yamaha CG162C
D'Addario EJ45

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:33 pm

John,

Wow-I'd already call the Paganini 'ready for the streets' as the minor errors you mentioned were not performance-breakers and they certainly would not be noticed by non-players.

But-since we're here for critique... :contrat:

To take this piece to the next level I think you could be more mindful of the shortened duration of the bass notes. There's lots of rests in there, if you notice. To me it sounds like your bass notes are usually dotted half notes rather than just two beats followed by a rest. It may not sound like a big deal but I think it's important for two reasons. One-it really adds to the bouncy feel of this very light-hearted piece. And two-I think other than the arpeggios it's the most challenging aspect of the piece. It's defiantly the last thing I'm trying to fix before my upload (although I'm still 'batting 500' on the arpeggios and suspect I'll flub a few notes in my version). Speaking of the arpeggios, I find the D major ones harder than the A major ones. Anyone else? Also, I barre for the A major ones rather than used the indicated fingering, which I find much too cumbersome at tempo. Also- related to both the bass notes and the arpeggios I noticed that in measures like 19, 21, and 23 the bass note is followed by a considerable amount of rests/silence. It's hard to do but keeps the bassline really tight and punchy. Getting good at this will be really helpful if/when we work on some two (or more) voice Bach pieces. I hope to capture all of this when I finally upload my performance! :oops: Lastly in the minor section to my ears you are rushing the sixteenth notes and also very slightly measures 37,38.

This sounds like a lot of feedback for what is otherwise a really good performance, especially with a piece that is much more tricky than I first gave credit. So... :bravo:

Mark

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:52 am

:bravo: John,

Your Paganini piece sounds amazing for 1 week! Like Mark said, you could perform this on the street and no-one would notice the mistakes.
I cannot think of anything to add to your own observations and Mark's detailed suggestions.
:D Cat

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:59 am

Here is my rendition of Paganini Le Streghe. I am still struggling a bit with this piece. I am nowhere close to playing it fluently. I decided to post it since this week is looking quite busy with guests and travel, etc. I will post the Prelude tomorrow. Thank you so much for watching.
:) Cat
[media]https://youtu.be/FRoRtwt5LKU&featurer[/media]

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:16 am

Great observations Mark, I wasn't paying attention to any of the symbol markings on the bass line during the readings earlier this week.

I paid more attention to them in a practice session earlier today, it sounds a lot better and more bouncy, I could envision a whimsical lad/lass skipping up and down the street :-)

I was getting better results on the arpeggios using the following right-hand fingerings
Measure 7 Amaj: (p/i) m i m i m (p/i) , used a left hand mini-pinky bar on fret 5 for the high 'e' and 'a' notes
Measure 23 Amaj (descending): (p/m) i a m i p p
Measure 15 & 31: D maj: (p/i) m i m i m i -- no thumb for final D bass note, used index and got a treblier/louder rest stroke kind of sound on the descend

I didn't like the suggested left hand fingering for the A Maj in bar 23 either, I use a partial cejilla/bar with the left hand index on fret 2 after the high 'a' and 'e' notes have sounded and let the right hand do its magic

May re-post this piece over the weekend
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:24 pm

Cat,

I actually enjoyed that very much. I think you play it better than you give yourself credit for. The only real insecurity seems to be during the minor section-so I'd practice that part on its own a few times. I'll make the same observations about the length of the bass notes-keep them tight at just two beats for most measures. Otherwise-sounded good!

Mark

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:26 am

Thanks for the feedback Mark! I have noticed that Paganini uses short, crisp bass notes in most of the pieces I have learned by him thus far. I hope to have time to post a more polished version of the Paganini and Morn pieces before lesson 4 but meanwhile, here is my video of the Carulli prelude.

Carulli, Ferdinando - Prelude opus 114 n°7
[media]https://youtu.be/YOTw7y3UmhU[/media]

WilliamTee

Post by WilliamTee » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 am

Hi Cat,

Good progress on both Le Streghe and Carulli.
For Le Streghe, it would be better if you damp the bass as Mark suggests. I also noticed minor mistakes on Carulli at bar 15 and 16.

Happy practicing!

~Will
Yamaha CG162C
D'Addario EJ45

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:35 pm

D4,

Hi all. I usually play this better when the camera isn't rolling. Many of the arpeggios aren't very clean-and there was an obvious memory lapse in the minor section. I think I got the punchy bassline OK for the most part-and I mention that cause it was the main point of feedback I offered most of you. I just wanted to get this piece uploaded-I really liked it for a while but need a break from it! :chaud:

Mark

[media]https://youtu.be/hOFLh66nD4k[/media]

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:41 pm

Cat,

Good job on the Carulli. I think the main point of this piece is to get a volume balance, which you do. (maybe the 'a' finger is just a TAD louder). What could maybe be improved is to make the first note of each measure have a bit more "oomph" since they are stem-down quarter notes.

Watch measure 16, the first note is a low F. I think you play A. It's a tricky chord change!

Mark

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:10 am

Mark,
:bravo: Good job on Paganini's Le Streghe.
Now I see what you mean about the "bouncy" quality to the piece when the bass notes are shortened. Your minor section sounds beautiful in certain spots. Once you get the arpeggio transitions smoothed out, it will sound superb. I know what you mean about needing a break from a piece after awhile.
:D Cat

George Karpenkov

Post by George Karpenkov » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:46 pm

Hi guys,

I'm still late!
This is my "Petite Etude"

[media]https://youtu.be/6h5lONmRcws[/media]

The sound quality is getting worse and worse compared to the previous videos, now I'm convinced there's something with the phone =/

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi George,
Your Petite Etude sounds very good. I like the tempo and expression. You the notes are very clear. It's nice to listen to.There is just one error. In measure 8 at the end of the first section, you play a G and E note. The sustain symbols over the high and low E notes indicated that they are played at the beginning of the measure. After the second section the high E and G are played though. I looked back at Professor Delcamp's video as a reference. The recording quality sounds fine to me, especially for the purpose of feedback.What kind of phone are you using to record? I am using Quicktime on my Mac but have an I-Phone and am interested in learning to use that to record.
-CAT

George Karpenkov

Post by George Karpenkov » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:52 am

Hi Cat,

I have Google's NEXUS5. I like using it, because my whole setup for recording takes 10-15 seconds, vs. 10-15 minutes on laptop (turn on/start the program/prune the video size/...).
The recording quality is not terrible, but it's quite bad compared to my earlier recordings from the previous year, taken with the same phone, so I wonder whether there's a hardware or a software problem...

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”