D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:28 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D01.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D01.
Page 54: G major scale and C major scale, numbers 4 and 5. Be sure to damp the notes properly in the descending passages. To damp the notes in the descending passages: lean the fingers of the left hand against the vibrating strings.

Finally, we'll look at six simple tunes, pages 21 to 25
Anonyme : La cucaracha
Anonyme : C'est la cloche du vieux manoir
Anonyme : Le coucou
Anonyme : Alouette, gentille alouette
Anonyme : Vent frais, vent du matin
Anonyme : Lundi matin
Anonyme : Cadet Rousselle

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
Anonyme : La cucaracha
Anonyme : Alouette, gentille alouette
Anonyme : Lundi matin
Anonyme : Cadet Rousselle

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

La cucaracha
Alouette, gentille alouette
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Rajesh Dhungel
La cucaracha
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Paul Ashley
Cadet Rousselle

Chu Bun
La cucaracha
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Zafar Haq
La cucaracha
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Claude Huddy
La cucaracha
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Jay Gutknecht
La cucaracha
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Bert Stendahl
La cucaracha
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Madeleine Pashkofsky
La cucaracha
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Jeremy Gillard
La cucaracha
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Kushtrim Avdiu
La cucaracha
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Sasa Durakovic
La cucaracha
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Haris Karachristianidis
La cucaracha
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Agnel Joseph Noojibalthila
La cucaracha
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Jose Ramon Martinez
La cucaracha
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Zhihao Wang
La cucaracha
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle

Colin Bullock
La cucaracha
Lundi matin
Cadet Rousselle
:( + ♫ = :)

Zafar Haq

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Zafar Haq » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:52 am

Hi, Classmates,
This month lessons are released as expected. :)
I, pledge for myself the following.
1. Keep practice to improve my tempo and rhythm.
2.Keep my left hand fingers close to frets and not allow them to fly away.
3.Submit my home study assignment one by one as they are recorded.
Will post the music sheet break down soon.
Last edited by Zafar Haq on Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:10 pm

Hi, Classmates,
Here is a music sheet break down for " Alouette, gentille alouette" home study assignment.
1.Time Signature: 4/4
2.Tempo: 112
3.Strokes: Apoyando (Rest Strokes) begin with Index finger.
4.Measures: 9
5.Phrases: 2
6.Dampings: 4
7.Repeats: Yes,First time we will use "Fine" at the end of measure 4 and "D.C al Fine" at the end of study.An Italian symbol"Da Capo"(meaning from the beginning) on music sheet saying repeat from the beginning until "Final".We are going to play the whole study first.Next repeat and play the first 4 measures only.
8.Special effects: No
9."#" symbol: On top of measure close to time signature tells that one note is sharp.This sharp symbol is placed also on measure 4 and 7.
10.Tie Symbol: Yes,Tie is used at measure 1,3.Tie is used to extend the duration of note played to a note where tie ends.
11.Lyrics: No

Here is a music sheet break down for "LUNDI MATIN" home study assignment.
1.Time Signature: 2/4
2.Tempo: 104
3.Strokes: Apoyando (Rest Strokes) begin with Index finger.
4.Measures:17
5.Phrases: 4
6.Dampings: 8
7.Repeats: No
9.Tie Symbol: Yes,Tie is used in measure 2,3,7. Tie is used to extend the duration of note played to a note where tie ends.In measure 2 quarter note at "G" will extend its duration of additional 1/8th note.We will not play the next 1/8th "G" note.
10.Lyrics: No
Hope It may help. Lets begin my practice for these two home study assignments. :)
Last edited by Zafar Haq on Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:19 am

Thank you Zafar! You are too dedicated. :)

Happy playing everyone. I look forward to your submissions!

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:44 pm

Thanks Zafar, I'm looking forward to hearing your next submissions, you were making excellent progress and producing a very nice tone on the last one I listened to. I will also be interested to see whether you have managed to get the guitar more upright, as I'm sure this will really bring your playing forward.
Disappointed to see that you have said no effects, I was hoping for a little, no a lot of distortion to hide my fluffed notes!
All the best with your practice
Colin

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi, Classmates,
Here is breakdown of "LA CUCARACHA" music sheet home study assignment.
1.Time Signature: 3/4
2.Tempo: 144
3.Strokes: Apoyando (Rest Strokes) begin with Middle finger.
4.Measures: 16
6.Dampings: 7
7.Repeats: No
9."#" symbol: On top of measure close to time signature tells that one note is sharp.This sharp symbol is placed also on measure 4 and 7,10,13.
10.Tie Symbol: Yes,Tie is used at measure 12.Tie is used to extend the duration of note played to a note where tie ends.

Here is a music sheet break down for "CADET ROUSSELLE" home study assignment.
1.Time Signature: 6/8
2.Tempo: 84
3.Strokes: Apoyando (Rest Strokes) begin with Middle finger.
4.Measures:18
6.Dampings: 4
7.Repeats: Yes.At measure 5
9."#" symbol: No
10.Tie Symbol:No

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi, Classmates,
In 2013, Archive,"#" symbol is explained in more detail. I,just copy and paste that explanation here for myself as well any of classmates need more info.
EmmanuelVankerschaver » Friday 29 November 2013, 18:07 pm

Hi Juan,

The sharp symbol on the F-line is in the right place. It's the key signature for the key of G, an impressive expression for stating that ALL the F-notes in the score default to F#.

In the G-major scale, the notes are: G , A, B, C, D, E and F#. When composing a piece using this scale, rather than using a '#' sign in front of each individual F note on the bar, the '#' sign is moved up to the key signature.
Using a natural F in this case would require the introduction of the natural sign...

Each of the other major and minor scales have their unique combination of sharp and flat notes. As for the '#' on the top line 'F', The flats ('b') and sharps ("#') will be annotated on the top half of the staff notes (A-G) but hold for any single occurrence of that particular note at the other octaves.

Both Allouette & Cadet Rouselle are using the G-scale. Even though in Allouette there is no F-note is indicates that when e.g. playing with multiple instruments the other people would play in that same scale.

Plenty of pinky-practice in Cadet Rousselle though: all the F-notes on the D-string should be played as F# (thus: pinkie on fret 4)

Hope this helps ...
Emmanuel

Rajesh Dhungel

Post by Rajesh Dhungel » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:55 pm

hello

Friends please practice the exercises well and thorough, for it unlocks the secrets of greater playability. :merci:

Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons

Post by Chu Bun » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:37 pm

I found the "cockroach" song to be the hardest one. I could not get anywhere near the 144 tempo with decent consistency.

By the way, do you now how monsieur Delcamp holds his guitar in place? In his channel, there is a video showing his whole body (D010 or something like that). He does not use a foot tools and I could not see any brace either.

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:18 pm

Chu Bun wrote:I found the "cockroach" song to be the hardest one. I could not get anywhere near the 144 tempo with decent consistency.

By the way, do you now how monsieur Delcamp holds his guitar in place? In his channel, there is a video showing his whole body (D010 or something like that). He does not use a foot tools and I could not see any brace either.
Same here. As usual with new pieces, I am ignoring the posted tempo. It doesn't make sense to try to play it at 144 bpm. I actually think it sounds better at a slower tempo anyway. I'm getting hung up on the note timing as written and trying hard to forget the version of the melody that has been in my head for years.

Jay Gutknecht

Post by Jay Gutknecht » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:33 pm

He uses a little attachment that sits on his left leg. If you watch alot of his youtube video's some you can see it. something like this but his is of better quality can't remember the name of it. Have seen them just like his.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:38 pm

Jay Gutknecht wrote:He uses a little attachment that sits on his left leg. If you watch alot of his youtube video's some you can see it. something like this but his is of better quality can't remember the name of it. Have seen them just like his.
He posts in D11 4august 2005, with a pic. I don't know how to quote it and post it here.
Well spotted, I hadn't realised until Chu mentioned it.

Jay Gutknecht

Post by Jay Gutknecht » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:54 pm

I agree Madeleine. As the moderator said before towards the beginning of the classes. Not to worry so much about speed as it will come with practice. Playing smooth, steady and correct finger placement is most important. It's one of my problems trying to play to fast.

Jay Gutknecht

Post by Jay Gutknecht » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:56 pm

Colin I have his youtube channel subscribed and watch alot of his video's love listening to him play. And when he post new ones I get an email.

Jay Gutknecht

Post by Jay Gutknecht » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:02 am

Also what i have noticed is his deep sound. When he places his hand at the end of a piece it looks like he doesn't have hardly any nails on his picking hand. I have experimented and read alot and watch youtube video's on nails and shaping but can't seem to get that mellow sound I like.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”