D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Zafar Haq

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Zafar Haq » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:00 am

Hi, Classmates,
If some one like to use flexible multi purpose metronome on window 7 computer.
Here is a link:
http://www.mm-systeme.de/mum/28.html

Claude Huddy

Post by Claude Huddy » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:55 am

Hi Jay
Thanks I have now listened to your post although it is very quiet - not on hearing aid yet but I may have to get one over the next year or two if sound stays low
Alright, I'm grumpy because you have done a better job on the cockroach than me, yet another of our group, I heard only one slight change in tempo but all notes were there in correct sequence and unlike mine at the correct values
Look forward to next postings mate

Claude Huddy

Post by Claude Huddy » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:33 am

Sorry Jay
I see now you had the audio files which if I tap on it goes to another site but I can't play it ie no sound - so I still haven't heard your posts - now I have to worry whether I have dyslexia or going senile, this course will be useful!

Hi Rajesh I typed my comments on your post to Jay above by mistake
Comments still stand though

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:40 pm

Hi, Classmates,
LA CUCARACHA study video with correction.
Here is my rerecorded LA CUCARACHA study assignment , correctly playing "F#" instead of "F natural" in measure 5 and 11. :)
[media]https://youtu.be/k_daSBuY3dA[/media]

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:18 pm

Hi all,
Here is "La Cucaracha." Still a work in progress. I struggle most with the pinky stretches from the second finger and have to shift my hand a bit to grab notes cleanly (sometimes hitting too closely to the fret). Not my favorite piece. Will we have to play this at 144 bpm for our examination text year?

[media]https://youtu.be/VPsUYzQU7fY[/media]

Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:11 am

Madeleine,

At the beginning of the clip, your left hand's thumb was visible from behind the neck. When you repositioned your to hit the first F#, it was no longer visible. I think you should have your thumb at that position from the beginning. For one thing, you will not need to reposition!

Claude Huddy

Post by Claude Huddy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:45 am

Hi Zafar
All the right notes clear as should be, your persistence will pay off mate

Madeleine, you have the right approach to your practice and the more we play the easier you will accommodate the stretches. I'm not sure how the exam works at the end of lesson year, I assume we re record listed exam music and play as close to the written music as possible. Will be a stretch for me to achieve better accuracy and speed but there are quite a lot of hours of practice between now and then. What seems impossible now will be easier by then as we look towards year two. We are lucky to be part of a group of students who provide good support and credible advice to get us through. I like how our group has a range of musical skills and expertise while I myself deliberately make mistakes in all my posts to demonstrate what not to do. Alright not deliberately.

Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:46 am

Claude,

Please ignore this comment if you did it deliberately. But I think you should keep your posture consistent from piece to piece (the angle of the neck, the tilt of the soundboard, ...). For a good example, look at Jeremy's clips. Without the titles, you would not be able to tell which piece is which (even the wrinkles on his shirt stayed the same!). By the way, did you changed guitars, or was it the inconsistency in the white balance of the recording?

Claude Huddy

Post by Claude Huddy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:00 am

Chu
That is a good point on my posture. I certainly do not consciously try to position myself exactly the same in each session. I think I hold my guitar at the same angle in which I am comfortable but that may vary. I will take more notice in future. I do use an iPad propped up on my music stand but I don't always place the iPad at the same place or angle of focus. Don't tell Jeremy but I would be happy if I was progressing as well as he is right now.
:D

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:30 pm

I've been away for last 10 days so not ready to post yet. Difficult to make detailed suggestions until I've played these pieces through, but:

Everyone seems to be making excellent progress. Zafar, I'm really impressed with how far you have come, great tone.
Claude, I see something I feel when I play and it's a feeling I want to get the piece over quickly. It ends up sounding rushed and at times the fingers are trying to keep up with brain so there is a fast bit, slight pause, fast bit. I've found that slowing way down and forcing fingers to hover above the strings works for me and then slowly increase speed to point where no errors and then practice at that speed for a while.
Chu, I'm also becoming very sensitive to resonance on 5th & 6th. Same solution as yourself, resting thumb on the strings.

I hope to catch up in week after Christmas.
Wishing you all a great Christmas
Best wishes
Colin

PaulAshley

Post by PaulAshley » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:47 am

Unfortunately I'm way behind due to family and holiday business. I've barely had time to even look at a computer, which is pretty odd for me! After Christmas I should be able to get back at it.

Hope you all have a happy holiday season.

PaulAshley

Post by PaulAshley » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:59 am

Chu Bun wrote:Paul
Pretty solid, clear sound and even rhythm. Just a few nitpicks, in a couple of the "uneven" groups (I don't know what you call these groups of two notes one short and one long that form a beat) the notes were not held to their full duration. And even though the left hand pinky is not used in this song, it should be positioned closer to the fretboard to keep the palm more parallel with the neck.

About new strings, I changed my strings 2 weeks ago, and they still stretch like crazy. Wasting 10 mins or more on tuning every time I practice.
Thanks for the input. I do have a problem with the pinky on both hands; it seems to have a mind of its own, and an up-tight one at that.

I'm giving Lundi Matin a try and using the left hand thumb is not easy. I'm thinking it's more of an exercise in hand control rather than musicality since the sound produced by the thumb stroke is so different than that of the rest of the strokes. Or at least it is when I try it.

Claude Huddy

Post by Claude Huddy » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:22 am

Hi Paul and Colin
Good to see you back
Colin everyone is right about my rush guess it is because I try many takes to record that I want to finish the post as soon as. That and I am not a passable player yet, but I will be.
Look forward Paul to hearing your different guitars.

2015 here we come!!!!!$$

Kushtrim Avdiu

Post by Kushtrim Avdiu » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:03 pm

[media]https://youtu.be/Y6OIhHgdfA4[/media]

Kushtrim Avdiu

Post by Kushtrim Avdiu » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:03 pm

[media]https://youtu.be/t5IarOSIpCE[/media]

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”