D02 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:28 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D02.
- page 75 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES – ESCALAS
numbers 9, 10 and 12. Be sure to damp the notes properly in the descending passages. To damp the notes in the descending passages: lean the fingers of the left hand against the vibrating strings. Work on controlling the volume by playing crescendo and decrescendo.

Next we'll work on two pieces by Carulli:
- pages 22-23 Ferdinando CARULLI (1770-1841) ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE consists of three sections of eight bars each, the third section being identical to the first. Thus it has an A-B-A structure, also called ternary form.

- page 50 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) VALSE en la majeur
There are numerous repetitions, so vary the tone colour to avoid monotony. To obtain different tone colours, play:
- over the soundhole (the sound volume is at its best here and you get a good balance between the bass and treble notes);
- over the fingerboard (the sound here is softer, closer to the that of a clarinet, and the basses are softened);
- near the bridge (the sound here is more metallic, and becomes close to that of the harpsichord, the basses are strengthened and the trebles weakened).

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 75 number 10 Scale of E minor with crescendo and decrescendo
- pages 22-23 Ferdinando CARULLI (1770-1841) ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
- page 50 Ferdinand CARULLI (1770-1841) VALSE en la majeur

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

Scale of E minor with crescendo and decrescendo
ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
VALSE en la majeur

David Yang
ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
VALSE en la majeur

Archit Junnarkar
ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
VALSE en la majeur

Bill Davis
ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
VALSE en la majeur

Brian Hunker
ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE
VALSE en la majeur
:( + ♫ = :)

Linda Shepherd

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Linda Shepherd » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:25 am

Morning Everyone,
Hope you had a good Christmas. I've just gathered together this 'week's' material and I'm lookiong forward to working through it. I am running about a month behind, so I will still be posting in lesson 3 - Toye is now there. Hopefully I'll get the Solares there before too long.

I have found a very helpful site with exercises explained in numerous videos. Look for classicguitarshed.com
Allen Matthews is contactable and responds to questions even if you are not a 'paid up' student. The resources are free and extremely helpful. I hope this will be of use to some of you.
I'll be back soon...
Best wishes from a stormy Charente in France. :bye:
Linda

David Yang
Student of the online lessons

Post by David Yang » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:08 pm

Hi Linda, enjoy the holiday. Wish everyone a happy New Year :ivresse: and make big progress in guitar playing. My homework is as below:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1161 ... 5701439168

ARPEGGI DI TRE NOTE

VALSE en la majeur
Music begins where language ends.

Ben Spurr

Post by Ben Spurr » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:32 pm

David, you played well. Sounded like a few of your transitions were a little bit rough, particularly on the three note piece, however it could be my internet connection. You are progressing well.

David Yang
Student of the online lessons

Post by David Yang » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:04 pm

Ben Spurr wrote:David, you played well. Sounded like a few of your transitions were a little bit rough, particularly on the three note piece, however it could be my internet connection. You are progressing well.
Hi Ben, that's my problem. My left hand has difficult to follow some chords with accuracy and ease, so that there're some buzz when changing chords. More practice is needed with correct hand position. Thanks for pointing it out.
Music begins where language ends.

Linda Shepherd

Post by Linda Shepherd » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:03 pm

HI Everyone,
I've started looking at the Arpeggi de tre note, but I am confused by the manuscript. What is the significance of B C D & E on the bottom of page 23? Are they simply different endings for the piece? It is not clear in the lesson notes.
Thanks

Laertes

Post by Laertes » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:56 am

@Linda,

they are just different patterns to use with the chords of the piece. Have you noticed that all the bars have the same right hand pattern pim-pim-pim-pim? (except bar 16). You can just play the same chord progression using patterns B, C, D or E for all the piece instead of A pattern (the one shown in the score).

Archit Junnarkar

Post by Archit Junnarkar » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:40 pm

Well, after having recorded my pieces, like always I closely listen to them again but this time I realized that the strings on my guitar are DEAD especially the bases :(
I was too lazy to replace them during practice and now am equally lazy to re-record my pieces all over again with the new strings. But, next lesson onwards, I will have new strings on my guitar !

So, here are my submissions. Please feel free to post your comments.

[media]https://youtu.be/qKMZ5XW0po0[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/_4VwK6otZpU[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/jBsAF5ukVVY[/media]

Archit Junnarkar

Post by Archit Junnarkar » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:43 pm

David
Very Good work on your pieces. I liked the way you play with such ease and confidence. Hats off to the 'damping' you have done. I really struggle on that part every time and skip it altogether many times, but it is very important to follow the sheet and you have done exactly that. Nice Work !

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:17 am

Hello all. I can't believe how fast Christmas and New Years went by here in the states. I think David is just in the midst of his Chinese New Year :cornet: and getting his post up so soon was strategic.

Please find my posts. I will say that for Valse and Gamme de mi mineur I didn't have any nails because I cliped them all down and then to make matters worse in my workshop I accidentally hit my m & a finger nails on the bench top belt sander while making cam clamps and it took them right down to the flesh. After playing with nails for so long I was thrown off by having to use the flesh of my fingers again. It really sounds muted and dead to me. It really was evident to me in Valse when playing the third section because plucking the strings so close to the bridge was harder because the string tension is so much tighter that it leaves little flex in the string. This is where having nails would really pay off and make it sound brighter and clearer. Also, apreggi di tre note was hard. :kap: :nerveux:

Anyways, your constructive feedback is most welcomed. See you all in L05. :merci:
Bill

appreggi di tre note
[media]https://youtu.be/KS2OgMdCrSQ[/media]

valse
[media]https://youtu.be/QSsIhwJkgw0[/media]

gamme de mi mineur #10
[media]https://youtu.be/EKmgIDFq4Uk[/media]

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:48 am

David Yang wrote:Hi Linda, enjoy the holiday. Wish everyone a happy New Year :ivresse: and make big progress in guitar playing. My homework is as below:
:bravo: David. You sounded very good. I think like most of us you had a little buzz but over all very good progress. Bill

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:05 am

Archit Junnarkar wrote:Well, after having recorded my pieces, like always I closely listen to them again but this time I realized that the strings on my guitar are DEAD especially the bases :(
I was too lazy to replace them during practice and now am equally lazy to re-record my pieces all over again with the new strings. But, next lesson onwards, I will have new strings on my guitar !

So, here are my submissions. Please feel free to post your comments.
Archit great job! :bravo: Just a few snags like me in valse. I think I noticed in valse bars 9-14 were we had to pluck the low e string two times in a row that you used you m finger for both strokes rather than alternating between either the i and m or the m and a finger. It worked for you if so. I used m & a because it seems like the way we have been learning, to use sequences not a single finger to pluck a string back-to-back. :casque: Bill

Brian Hunker

Post by Brian Hunker » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:55 am

David,

All 3 of your videos for this lesson were excellent. Your rhythm is very solid and the way you project sound from the strings is very strong. If there were a few buzzes they weren't many and certainly didn't stand out too much. Overall I think you represented the 2 songs with great musicality. Great job!

:bravo:

Brian Hunker

Post by Brian Hunker » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:10 am

Archit,

Again I think your videos sounded terrific! Really everything had a nice flow to it and particularly your phrasing of the Valse was very good. I found that piece to be very difficult and you made it look very easy. :chaud:

Looking forward to seeing/hearing your videos in lesson 5!! :bravo:

Also:
I don't know enough about classical guitar strings to identify when my strings start "sounding dead", but I did not think your guitar sounded poorly on these recordings. Is there any way you can describe what to listen for to know when strings should be changed? I've had the same set on my Cordoba for about 8 months and while I have played about 400 hours (50hrs/month x 8) on these strings they don't really look worn out. Perhaps I have been playing on dead strings as well!?!? :shock:

I suppose we are just starting to reach that point where we can look critically at the guitar and make improvements to it's condition. Previously if something sounded bad (as most things have) I just blamed my own two hands!!

Brian Hunker

Post by Brian Hunker » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:24 am

Bill,

I thought you did a great job, especially given your nail injuries. I could tell the tone may not have been everything you wanted during the Valse, but your tempo and phrasing of the notes was strong and showed that you did learn the right hand movements very well.

:daccord:

There was one part of the "B" section in the Valse where I think you misread one or two of the chords. I'm not sure exactly but I think you played a C natural where it should have been a C#. Whatever the thing was you did it exactly the same way though all the repeats. I did something similar on this piece before noticing the C# in the key signature. Maybe have a look and see if you notice what I'm saying. I could be wrong.

Regarding the finger nails, take heart! I'm continuing to realize that I require less and less fingernail length. And that excessive nail length is actually a big hinderance in many ways. I'll see if I can share a photo of my RH on this board so you can see I've filed my nails down to almost nothing and the control and the sound is way better. You might find the same thing as your nails grow back from the shorter length!!

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”