D03 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Duang Turongratanachai
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi Haris
Just within two weeks and you did the recording! I am still figure around the first four bars of Packington's Pound. I like your tone but as Mr Delcamp says that we could avoid monotony by playing on different parts of strings to get different tone colour.
I like your Salteren, the dynamic change is great!
:bravo:
Duang

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:50 am

Thank you Bea!
In bars 17 to 25 I mute E in sixth string with left hand finger 1. As I press the bass Si my tip of the finger touches free E.

Thank you Duang!
I play in different parts of strings to get different tone color. I start over the hole, in bars 17 to 25 I play nearer to the bridge, from 33 to 40 near the frets and then again closer to the hole. I would not like to add more coloring to that.
I liked this piece a lot (except the middle part), so I learned it quickly. Also some recordings in youtube like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1BNrQo ... _g&index=2 helped me understand the structure of the piece. In this version, which I believe is close to the original and close to this periods playing style, there is no coloring.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:12 am

Ok, Haris, that's what I thought you could be doing after I saw delcamp' s video again. I think he mutes those notes with the left hand too.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:12 pm

Haris - GREAT job on Packington's Pound. Such great tone and recording quality ... very impressive. The tempo is slower than that of M. Delcamp, but if it's cleaner that way, so much the better. There were a couple spots early on in the recording where your bass could be stronger, but these are all very minor things.

On the strumming, you varied it nicely, but I thought I could detect a small change in the strum pattern around 11 or 12 seconds in. It sounded fine but it might not be what was intended.

I'm still trying to learn Packington's Pound - some of the string of 16th notes are a bit fast for me, and I need to be able to transition out of them better, such as to that G/D at the start of measure 14. It's tricky because a) it's my pinky - always a weak point, and b) the pinky is raised immediately prior for the C note, so you have to get it down very quickly after that, and it's not so easy.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:05 pm

Carl, thank you for comments!
On the strumming the change in strum pattern was intended, prof. Delcamp plays this pattern in his video.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:47 pm

Merry Christmas to all my classmates and moderators! Have a nice holiday!

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:41 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:Merry Christmas to all my classmates and moderators! Have a nice holiday!
Thanks Haris.
Merry Christmas to you and all too.
All the best! Duang :wink:

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:21 am

Hi. Here is my attempt for lesson 4!!!

[media]https://youtu.be/YdDjkxwxRZc[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/jkgpZrSY3w0[/media]

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:57 am

Duang, congratulations! Both Saltaren and Packington's Pound are very good! Very nicely played!

Only one observation: In bars 2, 4, 10, 36, 44 Si is in the melody line and in my opinion should be distinguished from the other notes of the bar (Sol#, Mi) which belong to the bass line. So I think the 2 bass line notes should not be as loud as the melody line. If you agree with my opinion, this is very easy to fix.

Congratulations again!

Last edited by Haris Karachristianidis on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:48 am

Very good with your recordings Duang!
Happy new year to everybody!

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:09 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:Duang, congratulations! Both Saltaren and Packington's Pound are very good! Very nicely played!

Only one observation: In bars 2, 4, 10, 36, 44 Si is in the melody line and in my opinion should be distinguished from the other notes of he bar (Sol#, Mi) which belong to the bass line. So I think the 2 bass line notes should not be as loud as the melody line. If you agree with my opinion, this is very easy to fix.

Congratulations again!

Thank you so much Haris for pointing out about the melody. I have always not concentrated on these things which would make the piece more musical!
Duang :D

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:19 pm

Beatriz Martin wrote:Very good with your recordings Duang!
Happy new year to everybody!
Thanks Bea.
Happy new year to you too :D
Duang

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:00 am

I am going to try posting this weekend, I have been busy with my family on the holidays, so I haven't put enough time into practice. Hope everyone will have a happy 2015 and hope to learn more guitar :ivresse: :guitare:

abel

Post by abel » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:24 pm

Hello;
Happy new year everybody!
Thanks Bea.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:30 pm

I too have been busy with holiday and travel to see relatives. I will probably post a little late - I try to record when no one else is home, and right now we have a full house! I may even record a bit past the posting of lesson 5 ... my son goes back to school next Thursday, and my daughter a day or two later.

Still, I'm getting good practice in here and there, and have returned to practicing the piece with headphones on, listening to M. Delcamp play. It's a balancing act between being able to hear myself and hear the example being played through the headphones. I'm playing it at 90% speed and keeping up fairly well, closing in on getting that difficult & fast passage clean and at speed (well, 10% slower but that's pretty good for me).

I suppose my other comment on my progress thus far is that I find it very hard to finger the A chord for Saltaren as indicated. Physically - not a matter of speed or dexterity. So I am considering just going with fingers 2, 3, and 4 there instead of 1, 2, and 3.

Duang, I'll check out your video shortly!

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”