D03 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
CarlWestman

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by CarlWestman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:48 pm

Nice job Duang - I like how you varied your strumming on Saltaren, and the way you finished the piece too.

You did a good job on Packington's Pound. A couple minor twangs at the end and a small slip earlier, but I'm sure you know that. To my ear, though, the tuning sounds a bit flat. Unfortunately it's probably way too late to check it - it may have changed anyway by now. But it did sound a bit flat.

Haris, can you clarify your comment about how the melody line should be "distinguished"? It appears you mean that it should be played louder than the bass line, is that right? I do note that M. Delcamp plays the bass notes more softly in the measures you listed, though the sheet music does not specifically call for it, at least, not that I can tell. I did notice that he played the bass notes fairly boldly elsewhere in the piece, and not just in that middle section where it all is played quite boldly.

A final note - I did not realize until looking it up that, according to Wikipedia, "In the major Romance and Slavic languages, the syllables Do (Ut for the French), Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, and Si are used to name notes the same way that the letters C, D, E, F, G, A, and B are used to name notes in English."

I mention that because I am always a bit puzzled when you or someone else refers to notes like Si, Mi, Sol, etc. I knew they referred to notes, but I didn't know that was perhaps a more common way to refer to them outside of English-speaking countries. I thought it was merely an old-fashioned way of referring to them. I should have known based on the subtitles M. Delcamp often gives pieces (such as "en sol majeur"). I guess the English language forum lulled me into a sense of complacency.

Haris Karachristianidis
Student of the online lessons

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:16 pm

CarlWestman wrote:Haris, can you clarify your comment about how the melody line should be "distinguished"? It appears you mean that it should be played louder than the bass line, is that right? I do note that M. Delcamp plays the bass notes more softly in the measures you listed, though the sheet music does not specifically call for it, at least, not that I can tell. I did notice that he played the bass notes fairly boldly elsewhere in the piece, and not just in that middle section where it all is played quite boldly.
Yes Carl, Ithat is what I mean. Another reason for playing B louder than the bass line is its duration (3/8) unlike the basses that last each 1/8. To make B sound for 3/8 it has to be played louder.

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:01 pm

CarlWestman wrote:Nice job Duang - I like how you varied your strumming on Saltaren, and the way you finished the piece too.

You did a good job on Packington's Pound. A couple minor twangs at the end and a small slip earlier, but I'm sure you know that. To my ear, though, the tuning sounds a bit flat. Unfortunately it's probably way too late to check it - it may have changed anyway by now. But it did sound a bit flat.
Thanks Carl. I will be more careful on tuning next time. :casque:
Duang

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:36 pm

CarlWestman wrote: Do (Ut for the French), Re, Mi, Fa, Sol, La, and Si are used to name notes the same way that the letters C, D, E, F, G, A, and B are used to name notes in English."
I have a problem with this, whenever someone mentions the notes in as do, re, etc, i have to stop and think which note is in English.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:45 pm

Here are my recordings. As far as know I made a mistake in Packington's Pound bar 13 on the last note.
[media]https://youtu.be/Xtb5gdnX08I[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/tFzXSmhZf44[/media]

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:55 pm

Congratulations Bea! Very nice sound and nice interpretations.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:09 pm

Nice job Bea!

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:21 pm

Congratulation :D :D
:bravo:
Duang

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:36 pm

Thanks everybody, now to practice lesson 5, good luck!!

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:00 am

Sorry I'm late. Kids just got back to school this past week the holidays and I was able to turn more attention back to this lesson.

Here's a video for Saltaren - I didn't end it quite the way I wanted, but I guess it's OK. I also hoped to vary the sound more, but I found it hard to consistently sound all the strings with each stroke of my finger. Oh, and enjoy one of my cats going nuts over a bully cat that appeared outside, and that her brother ran out to take on.

[media]https://youtu.be/CR6qg1fT3ME[/media]

For Packington's Pound, a tune I really enjoyed (much like I enjoyed Greensleeves), my best take turned out to be with the camera off.

Ugh, the embedded youtube thing doesn't seem to work. Try this link directly:
http://youtu.be/CR6qg1fT3ME
or use the included mp3.

edit: Fixed the YT link for you, Carl.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:26 am

:bravo: Carl,
In Packington's Pound, I think it would sound better if you slowed down, so that when you play the eight notes it wouldn't feel you are rushing like it sounded in for example in bars 13, 14. So that's my suggestions, practice more slowly, take your time. :bye:

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:56 pm

Congratulations Carl :bravo:
I like your Saltaren and I enjoy the scene of the cat! :D
The Packington's Pound seems a bit too rush so it's hard to hear each note clearly.
Duang

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:10 pm

Congratulations Carl, both versions are good!
For Packington's Pound some minor advice: Some notes should be played more legato, examples are: C in bar 1,C in bar 7, C in bar 9, C in bar 11 etc. As I see, all notes that need to be kept more are C, so keep them pressed a little more.

:bravo:

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:47 am

Thank you all for the feedback. I knew my take on Packington's was faster than M. Delcamp's. It is becoming a common issue, quite unexpectedly - when I start to learn a piece I can't imagine playing it up to speed, let alone too fast. But apparently that can happen. It will take some work to restrain myself. And for some reason the quality of recording wasn't up to my expectations either. I had just changed strings - the old ones were getting "sticky" and sounding just from my lifting off of them, so I felt I simply had to change them. The new ones were perpetually going out of tune by the end of the piece, that may have had some effect too. Even now, a week later, I have to tune up the treble strings a quarter step with each new day.

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:38 am

Here are my belated recordings for Lesson 4. Not perfect. Funny how the camera makes it harder to play. :roll:

[media]https://youtu.be/VEdWH0FKCFM[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/dGcPJOufCUA[/media]
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”