D04 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Satyajit Kadle

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:44 am

Scarborough Fair - Anonyme
[media]https://youtu.be/eOBgzbDe2gw[/media]

One of my all-time favourites. :)

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:21 pm

:bravo: Catherine. :merci: for your comment in the Students Corner. I think Scarborough Fair is the piece I've played the most of all lessons at Delcamp. I have a session with it at least once a month to keep it going. Definitely agree with Mr Delcamp about its therapeutic powers. Enjoyed listening to all your recordings. :casque: No doubt you'll be able to continue with the following levels!

:bravo: Satyajit. Good playing. Unfortunately out of tune. When using the capo, take extra care to check the tuning.
Alhambra 11P

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:46 am

Thanks for the feedback, Harvard. It is out of tune with the D and G strings.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:27 am

Good job Satyajit!

Aside from tuning, pay attention to the duration of the melody notes. You cut them short a few times, such as G in the beginning of bar 14. The melody should be played as legato as possible, like you were singing it.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:50 pm

:D Nice work on Scarborough Fair Satyajit! I agree with the comments above. This piece goes well with your style and will sound gorgeous with a little bit of polishing.

Thank You for the encouraging comments Havard!

I practiced for a couple of hours yesterday and was planning to record and post a 2nd version of the Paganini piece incorporating the feedback I was given and the scale but I accidentally closed door on my middle right hand finger. :evil: It looks like my finger will be OK but my recordings will likely be delayed for a week or two. Fortunately, I did have the lesson 5 pieces ready to record for feedback, so I will try to be patient.

I hope that everyone is recovering from the holidays, illness, and all of that other winter stuff. I am looking forward to hearing some more recordings in this group.

:bye: Cat Livingston

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:00 am

Thanks for your feedback, guys. Cat, sorry to hear about your mini 'm' finger accident. Hope it's not too sore.

Sorry, a little off topic, but thought I'd share and get inputs as well.
I've realized that my guitar goes out of tune when I fret higher. If it was sounding perfect when open, it's sharpening on higher frets, and Scarborough fair is an example.

..Which lead me to a number of online reads:
http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repa ... nation.php

And a few threads here as well:
viewtopic.php?t=67822
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=64845#topic11

It appears that intonation is a pretty vast subject by itself.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:43 am

Intonation issues are fairly typical with classical guitars, and especially when playing with capo there is nearly always need to adjust the tuning. I had a go with Scarborough Fair last night, and noticed that when my guitar was in tune at the lower frets, with capo at 5th fret, my 3rd string was flat. In the end the tuning is always a compromise. I generally use an electronic tuner only to set the 6th string correctly (and for other strings after changing strings, when they're still stretching a lot).

Here's a method I picked up from the Luthier section that has been working really well for me:
After setting the 6th with the tuner:
1. Adjust 1st string open against 6th string 5th fret harmonic.
2. Adjust 4th string fretted at 2nd fret against 6th string 12. fret harmonic.
3. Adjust 2nd string fretted at 3rd fret against 4th string 12th harmonic.
4. Adjust 3rd string fretted at 7th fret against 4th string 12th harmonic.
5. Check 3rd string 12th fret harmonic against 1st string fretted at 3rd fret. If it sounds out of tune, do a compromise in 3rd string tuning between this step and the previous one.
6. Adjust 5th string 12th fret harmonic against 3rd string 2nd fret.

The problem with tuning especially 2nd and 3rd string open is that depending on their stiffness and diameter the nut compensation may not be ideal for them, and when they're at the correct pitch open, they can be sharp when fretted. As the guitar pieces typically have the key signature of E, A or D major/minor, it's especially important that those octaves will sound in tune (open 5th against 2nd fret 3rd, etc.).

Hopefully you'll have a speedy recovery with your m finger, Cat! I lost my right hand thumb nail almost all the way to the edge of the nail bed during the holidays, am still growing it back, it affects my right hand position, and I'm sometimes having trouble producing the volume and tone I want for the bass notes.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

EricKatz

Post by EricKatz » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:44 am

@ Satyajit
The tuning problems could also be caused by worn out strings!
Another possibility is that when you place a capo, the original correct tuning gets a bit out of order. So you'll have to tune again after installing the capo at the 3rd position. Since most clip on tuners are only apt for E-A-D-G-B-E, you could use the method Marko describes.

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:49 am

Thanks Eric, Marko for those inputs, will be trying out both.

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:26 am

After not practicing for a week and a half due to my injured "m" finger on the right hand, I decided to record the scale so I can complete lesson 4. I also re-recorded Paganini Ghiribizzo # 24 and used my "i" and "a" fingers and kept the "m" finger bent. It was a challenge, but I did it! Thanks you for the suggestions Mark and Sajayit :merci: It bugged me that I was doing a hammer on instead of a slide. Thanks for that suggestion Sajayit. :D I am re-learning the lesson 5 pieces with my new finger arrangement and will be posting my "rough takes" there soon. I hope to see some of your posts soon.
Thanks for listening.
Paganini Ghiribizzo #24 Take 2-
[media]https://youtu.be/gWA-6qvV2Rs[/media]
A Minor Scale
[media]https://youtu.be/IWsh7k6pWKg[/media]
:bye: Cat

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:29 am

Hi Cat,

You did a very good job with Paganini especially considering the alternative right hand fingering you had to use! You put the emphasis on all the correct notes to give it a playful "ghiribizzo feel", which will be further improved with slightly faster tempo, if you'll ever get back to the piece.

Some critique:
In bar 30 you played E instead of A as the 2nd bass note. I'm pointing it out simply for the reason that it may be a reading error instead a mistake during the performance.

Most of the bass notes in the piece are 8th note or quarter note duration, but you let some of them ring indefinitely. In my opinion the damping in this piece is easy, because all the bass notes can be damped before moving the thumb to another string, and not having to swing the thumb back after another bass string has been played. The droning 6th string is especially disturbing in bars 29 and 31 where they mask the high B bass note.

Having said that I also have some issues with sympathetic (harmonic) ringing of the 6th string especially, staring from the first bar where the pickup note E sets my 6th string in motion, and as my thumb is on the 5th string, I'm having trouble controlling that ringing. It seems that the slower I play the piece, the more annoying the harmonic ringing does get, so I guess I just need to play this piece really fast to take care of the problem :D

Your A minor scale was well executed, although I think you played most of it with i finger alone. Did you try to do i-a alternation?

Unfortunately I didn't manage to get these pieces ready for recording before the weekend, but I'll try to record them sometime during the weekend if I get a chance.

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:59 am

Hi Cat, very well done on the Paginini. You damp the bass notes well to give it the effect needed. Paganini's been troubling me with the higher notes :)

Here's the Novelette:
[media]https://youtu.be/HtKHph9BVJo[/media]

Mark Bacon

Post by Mark Bacon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:53 pm

Better late than never!

[media]https://youtu.be/ng_qEeAjjts[/media]

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:01 am

Satyajit,

You did a nice job with the Novelette piece! You capture the mood of the piece well. The only issue that stood out for me was when you slowed the tempo a bit and hesitated around measures 10-11. I also had this issue while playing this piece since that part is a bit out of the ordinary. I like the way this song is arranged almost like a sentence.

What are the specific issues you are having with the Paganini piece? The parts with the boxes around them were the most difficult for me.

Good luck with your practicing and I am glad you are staying with this class.

:) Cat

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:07 am

Mark,

Your Scarborough Fair sounds beautiful! You play this piece with good sensitivity and emotion. I am wondering why you don't feel comfortable with a capo? Fortunately for you the capo isn't used often in this class. :lol: Thanks for posting this piece :)
So nice to listen to,
Cat

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”