D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:17 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D02.
- page 76 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) GAMMES - SCALE - SCALES – ESCALAS numbers 12, 13, 14.
When changes of position are needed, you will be using the "position shift" technique. Position I is the left hand position where the index finger (1) is placed behind the 1st fret, position V is the hand position where the index (1) is placed behind the fifth fret, etc. The position shift involves moving the left hand along the neck, from position to position, from fret to fret. In the scales we're looking at today, notice that my first finger never leaves the first string, I use it as a guide for my hand. Position shifts are shown by oblique lines linking two fingering indications given for the same finger.
The following videos are for numbers 12, 13 and 14 on page 76. Concentrate your practice on the passages highlighted in yellow, and do your best to perfect the position shift technique.

Next we'll work on three pieces :
- page 11 Juan BOBROWITZ (1785-1845) DANSE POLONAISE
- page 25 Joseph MEISSONNIER (1790-1855) ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
- page 56 Fernando SOR (1778-1839) ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44 :arrow: http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/v ... f=41&t=670

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 25 Joseph MEISSONNIER (1790-1855) ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
- page 76 number 13 Scale of C major with crescendo and decrescendo
- page 56 Fernando SOR (1778-1839) ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

David Yang
ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Bill Davis
ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Archit Junnarkar
ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Brian Hunker
ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
Scale of C major
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44
:( + ♫ = :)

David Yang
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by David Yang » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:42 am

Music begins where language ends.

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:42 am

Hello all,

Please find my videos for review. Any constructive criticism is welcomed. Thank you for taking the time to view my videos. I wasn't sure if I was going to post on time. This year has been flying by. I look forward to seeing your posts for this lesson.

Thanks, Bill

ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO
[media]https://youtu.be/x-W_Jor9MvA[/media]
Scale of C major
[media]https://youtu.be/kZwrEixkgRY[/media]
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44
[media]https://youtu.be/Zbxg97L8KLM[/media]

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:00 am

David, you sounded very nice. You kept a very good tempo and played the pieces very well. :bravo:
You did say in lesson 1 google+ was your posting choice. I have to admit it's a bit challenging to get the video to play. It looks like it will play but it takes a little manipulating for me to finally get it to start playing. I am not sure why the delay but it eventually plays. Maybe it's my iPads. Have you considered vimeo? It's very close to YouTube like functionality. Thanks! Bill :casque:

David Yang

Post by David Yang » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:46 pm

Hi Bill, I like your clean playing. Almost every note sounds clearly, and there's little buzz. I have some trouble avoiding buzz when changing chord. Regarding the video, Vimeo is also completely blocked here. Google+ remains the last choice for me at this time. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:30 am

David Yang wrote:Hi Bill, I like your clean playing. Almost every note sounds clearly, and there's little buzz. I have some trouble avoiding buzz when changing chord. Regarding the video, Vimeo is also completely blocked here. Google+ remains the last choice for me at this time. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Thank you David! I find myself relaxing too much and not pressing hard enough and I get the buzzing sound. I try to remember to be more firm and plant my fingers before striking the strings. Still a work in progress :chaud: As for google+ I am more than happy to be patient since this remains your last choice. I am glad you can post your videos because it enriches my learning experience to see and hear others play. :merci:

Archit Junnarkar

Post by Archit Junnarkar » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:19 pm

Hello,
Greetings to everyone :D and congratulations to everyone on completing five lessons. We are half way there in no time.

Well, the pieces in this lesson sounded really easy to me until I started my practice. Playing at a slower tempo and holding back notes to induce delay was really the most challenging part for me. These are my submissions for this lesson. Feel free to post your comments. Thanks to all my fellow students for all the comments and constructive feedbacks they have given me so far.

[media]https://youtu.be/MwTS7b1kHCQ[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/UlPTVHRsjCY[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/wH6mmW52nm0[/media]

Archit Junnarkar

Post by Archit Junnarkar » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:48 pm

David
Very well played, you seemed very confident throughout your three performances. You were spot on with the every note you played, there were no discernable buzzes anywhere. I thought you played at the same tempo throughout, if only you could have induced some delay by holding back notes a little like how Prof Delcamp has played, it would have really added that cherry on the top. None the less taking nothing away from you, you were brilliant. Good work !

Well I must admit I have myself struggled a lot on these pieces especially in holding notes back and inducing those silent moments In ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO.

Bill
Perfectly played and notes were precise. Nothing that I could catch, but did I ever catch anything in your pieces :roll: , well you have been a perfectionist all the time. I would just add the same point I mentioned above for David, that the delay in notes would really add a lot flavor to your performance. And I don't think it is going to be difficult for you. Nice work !

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:54 pm

Archit Junnarkar wrote:Hello,
Greetings to everyone :D and congratulations to everyone on completing five lessons. We are half way there in no time.

Well, the pieces in this lesson sounded really easy to me until I started my practice. Playing at a slower tempo and holding back notes to induce delay was really the most challenging part for me. These are my submissions for this lesson. Feel free to post your comments. Thanks to all my fellow students for all the comments and constructive feedbacks they have given me so far.
:bravo: nice work Archit. I liked these pieces but they were harder than they sounded. Keep up the good work! Bill

David Yang

Post by David Yang » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:52 pm

Archit Junnarkar wrote:David
I thought you played at the same tempo throughout, if only you could have induced some delay by holding back notes a little like how Prof Delcamp has played, it would have really added that cherry on the top.
Hi Archit, thanks for your advice. I like some intended delays in your playing. They makes the piece sound more interesting and lively :bravo:

Brian Hunker

Post by Brian Hunker » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:03 pm

Hi Everyone.

Apparently I'm running late for my participation with this Lesson 5. Some issues here at home have prevented me from making my recordings. But I should have remembered to check in anyways so to contribute feedback on all of your efforts! Anyway, here it is better late than never. Overall everyone continues to improve by leaps since Lesson 4. Great work everyone!

David:

I thought your sound was great. I like that you dig into each note and project a lot of sound. I think you are certainly on the right track with that. Although, you might also want to try to soften the tip joints in your right hand just a bit. This can help make it easier to produce softer tones, with less nail projection, when needed. But certainly I think a committed and deliberate sound is most important and you have done well with that.

I think your thumb articulation is getting really good. I noticed a good mix of confident rest strokes and free strokes with the thumb.
Also a bit of really good vibrato in the left hand. Well done!

Your timing was perhaps too exact on these pieces. I would say that the next step to improve these would be to loosen the timing a bit. You might benefit from practicing them WITHOUT the metronome. As I have been trying elevate my own sense of timing to something more musical, it has helped me to visualize gently rolling hills or the physics of a slowly moving roller coaster. That and also listening to recordings of more great players. Anyway, excellent work. Good luck in the next one!

Bill:

I thought your tone sounded great and your timing was very musical and your phrasing sounded deliberate and expressive. Particularly the Andante Affettuoso sounded nicely polished! Nice vibrato at the top of the C scale as well!

I like the way you created variation by playing over the fretboard during the Sor Allegretto. I have to work on that. I'm getting too scared to move out of the basic playing position.

I think you might benefit from concentration a bit on the thumb articulations. I just went through some serious thumb practice trying to sort out the free stroke vs the rest stroke, thumbnail usage, etc. It really helped me in this lesson where some of the melody goes into the 4th and 5th strings.

Obviously the scale practice requires a lot of focus on the left hand. But the m-a alternation presents some serious new problems in the right hand. Watch out for any unnecessary tension in the right pinky, and any kink in the right wrist. I think some of this is noticeable during your m-a alternation in the C Scale. One thing your could do is try doing m-a on one open string or across all open strings to restore full relaxation when using the m-a alternation, then apply that relaxed movement to the scale.

Obviously these are just some suggestions to think about going into the next lesson. As far as this material goes, I think you nailed it! I think overall these videos show substantial improvement since last month so great job and keep up the good work, Bill!

Archit:

Again, wonderful sound from your guitar. I also think your timing was brilliant during the Andante Affettuoso! Very inspiring work on that. Your control and accuracy during the Sor Allegretto was also top-notch. You appear to be on-track with everything. Maybe see my above comments to David and Bill as I think they apply more or less equally to all of us in D02.

I did notice one thing in your C-Scale video. Your scale was well articulated, but you appeared to use i-m alternation. I believe the exercise called for m-a alternation. Not a big deal. I only point it out maybe to stress the importance of not abandoning the written music too soon. Maybe this is a good reminder to check the page each practice just to make sure you haven't missed something. I miss the simplest things all the time!

More important than these minor technical details is the fact that your playing continues to sound more and more musical every month, Archit. The way you seem to be getting better in terms of tone is really remarkable. Congratulations on developing this very good sound. Can't wait to hear what you do with the next month's material.

Brian Hunker

Post by Brian Hunker » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:26 pm

OK. Here are my submissions. Better late than never.

Please don't mistake my absence from this board as a vacation from the guitar in general. I have been working a LOT on these pieces and on classical guitar in general. This month I read several fantastic books on guitar technique. In addition to the Delcamp assignment, I am currently practicing very small exercises and etudes from books by Duncan, Noad, Sagreras, Tennant and Glise. While each of these methods have their own strengths and weaknesses, I feel more confident having gained some knowledge of ALL of their arguments as far as WHAT aspects of technique should be developed WHEN.

I don't know, if I am expressing this correctly. What I mean to say is BUY BOOKS and then READ THEM MORE THAN ONCE. They only cost a couple dollars (at most maybe $20) each and they really helped me do better with these Delcamp assignments. Most of the feedback I've offered on all of your videos this month stems from concepts I've learned from one or more of these books.:contrat:

Thanks, in advance for any criticism or feedback! :mouton:
[media]https://youtu.be/w514zsNuESg[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/OXGHsbc5GhY[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/WTVPSdrCrJ0[/media]

David Yang

Post by David Yang » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:23 am

Hi Brian, I appreciate your valuable advises on right hand tip joints and timing. I try on my guitar and it really produces softer tones. I'll practice more as it definitely enhances skills to express more musically. I'll also accumulate understanding on music pieces and try variety on timing during my practice. It's fun. I see very good demonstrations of those tips in your videos. :applauso: to your diligent work on guitar learning, good luck and have fun!

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:10 am

Brian Hunker wrote:OK. Here are my submissions. Better late than never.

Please don't mistake my absence from this board as a vacation from the guitar in general. I have been working a LOT on these pieces and on classical guitar in general. This month I read several fantastic books on guitar technique. In addition to the Delcamp assignment, I am currently practicing very small exercises and etudes from books by Duncan, Noad, Sagreras, Tennant and Glise. While each of these methods have their own strengths and weaknesses, I feel more confident having gained some knowledge of ALL of their arguments as far as WHAT aspects of technique should be developed WHEN.

I don't know, if I am expressing this correctly. What I mean to say is BUY BOOKS and then READ THEM MORE THAN ONCE. They only cost a couple dollars (at most maybe $20) each and they really helped me do better with these Delcamp assignments. Most of the feedback I've offered on all of your videos this month stems from concepts I've learned from one or more of these books.:contrat:

Thanks, in advance for any criticism or feedback! :mouton:
Brian,
You did a wonderful job and the recordings sounded really nice. What are you using for the audio recording? You are on track to a new breakthrough in your playing. I am very excited for you. I have been using my ipad camera and a blue yeti lately (that was Stefan`s recommendation for audio. Thanks Stefan!) however, getting a good camera angle is bit troubling. I am going to build something to help me with that.

I agree with your suggestion to buy some books. If you are not too picky you can buy them used for a penny plus 3.99 shipping from amazon. lol. I picked up segovia diatonic major and minor scales book, twenty studies for the guitar by fernando sor from segovia edition, fifty easy classical guitar pieces, and then I have been doing more music theory studies to better understand how the fret board is pieced together.

The segovia diatonic major and minor scales gets you to practice scales with 7 fingering alternatives. It can be really challenging.

As for the thumb articulations, I agree. I have been slowly concentrating on this as well as the m-a alternation in my segovia scales practice. I find my challenge stems from short fingers and then secondly my nails sometimes snag but I think that is do to bad form, which I have been paying more attention too.

But I will admit that the last 3 months I have been so busy at work I have been barely able to post the videos and practice everything in the lessons.

Thanks for your feedback and very good critique. Keep up the good work Brian!

Archit Junnarkar

Post by Archit Junnarkar » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:49 pm

Brian

Thanks for your valuable comments. Your advises really help us a lot every time.

Well, on the C scale you mentioned, yes I played i-m alternation reason being I never looked at the notations in the sheet. I know this scale so I simply looked at the video once and recorded it straight away. It was only after you pointed out that I checked the notations. I agree to your point that we as students need to pay attention to these little subtleties and technical details if we really want to improve.

Well, coming to your pieces, I thought they were absolutely beautiful. I can see there is a remarkable difference in the way you play these days compared with your earlier posts. I think the effort you have been putting in, not just on the practice but also on the other aspects of learning this style, has paid off massively. You really seem to be a player from just another league. It just gives a good motivation to others like me to improve even more. Awesome work on your pieces ! Keep it going.

It seems that we (Brian, Bill, David and myself) are the only four left on D02 this time. Hopefully, we should have some more players catching up. Given the way we all are playing, I am really confident that this time around we are going to do really well in our Final Exam in May. We should settle for nothing less than distinction this time.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”