D03 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Haris Karachristianidis
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:00 pm

Thank you Marko for helping!
Marko Räsänen wrote:The notation itself doesn't really specify whether the slide should be heard or not
That answers exactly my question. :)

In Paganini's peace there are resonances in bar 4 that have to be damped in my opinion.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:31 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:In Paganini's peace there are resonances in bar 4 that have to be damped in my opinion.
Haris, it will probably depend on the guitar how strong is the 6th strong resonance for 'b' (corresponding to 7th fret natural harmonic). One option would be to play the 'b' in bass voice with index finger and keep the thumb resting on the 6th string. But as the index finger needs to damp the 2nd string 'b' as well as play it, you would need to use m&a for the melody on the 1st string. Or alternatively play the 2nd and 5th melody note with a light rest stroke to take care of the muting of the 2nd string on beats 2 and 5. In his video professor Delcamp doesn't damp the 6th string resonance in bar 4, and doing so is probably not worth the effort, especially if you play the piece with a brisk tempo. The resonance from 6th string will be damped in bar 5 the latest when the bass 'e' is played.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:40 am

Beatriz Martin wrote:How's everybody doing with the Paganini piece? ...I feel I am learning guitar for the first time. I've hardly played anything on these frets and my fingers don't feel any flexible. I have trouble pressing the strings especially with the pinky that many times I fail to put perpendicular to the fretboard and so it fails to press properly on the string. I've been learning it for 5 days and just a bit of time every day so I feel this is going to take me a long time. I figure I need to start exercising my fingers on all of these frets to get agility.
Funny you should ask - I was going to pose the same question! Like you, it has been awhile since I spent much time at this end of the neck - and certainly never covered this much territory. Usually it would be a few notes in the high e string coupled with a bass note. Most of this was late book 1 - early book 2 Sagreras. But this piece really makes you learn some notes on strings 2 and 3 as well.

Anyway, I'm at the point where I can play the first half OK and have it memorized. I'm on the cusp of having the second half memorized, but I've got a ways to go in terms of how smoothly I play it. Lots of hesitation b/c I'm not 100% sure of the next note. Hopefully those will come together.

The Carulli isn't near as hard, but the repetition can really lull me into complacency, such that I sometimes mess up which bass note to play (A / 5th string is played so much, one forgets to change, and then change back).

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:26 am

In Carulli's I still have some trouble doing that barre in bar 7, it is hard to do it without touching slightly the first string with the 1st finger. Also, I need to practice more changing positions in other parts.
In re to Paganini's when you do the bass notes, do you mute them right after playing them or let them ring for a bit? ...I find that it I mute them right away it sounds too staccato, I enjoy letting them ring for a bit. What's your suggestion?

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:36 am

Marko Räsänen wrote:
Haris Karachristianidis wrote:In Paganini's peace there are resonances in bar 4 that have to be damped in my opinion.
Haris, it will probably depend on the guitar how strong is the 6th strong resonance for 'b' (corresponding to 7th fret natural harmonic). One option would be to play the 'b' in bass voice with index finger and keep the thumb resting on the 6th string. But as the index finger needs to damp the 2nd string 'b' as well as play it, you would need to use m&a for the melody on the 1st string. Or alternatively play the 2nd and 5th melody note with a light rest stroke to take care of the muting of the 2nd string on beats 2 and 5. In his video professor Delcamp doesn't damp the 6th string resonance in bar 4, and doing so is probably not worth the effort, especially if you play the piece with a brisk tempo. The resonance from 6th string will be damped in bar 5 the latest when the bass 'e' is played.
Which resonance in 6th string in bar 4 are talking about? ...I don't see notes on the 6th string in bar 4.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:59 am

Beatriz Martin wrote:In re to Paganini's when you do the bass notes, do you mute them right after playing them or let them ring for a bit? ...I find that it I mute them right away it sounds too staccato, I enjoy letting them ring for a bit. What's your suggestion?
I let the basses sound as long a the melody note above sounds (as they have the same duration). So I mute them when playing the next melody note.
Beatriz Martin wrote:Which resonance in 6th string in bar 4 are talking about? ...I don't see notes on the 6th string in bar 4.
When I play free B string in bar 4 my bass E resonances. When I damp B in with the next note, free E is still sounding quite loud, so I have to damp it. As Marko said, maybe in other guitars it is not so strong.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:12 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:When I play free B string in bar 4 my bass E resonances.
sorry i don't understand :?, in bar four you play C# and B together, then B, G#, then B and B together, A and F#, where is the E?

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:59 am

It is "sympathetic vibration". The E string starts vibrating in resonance to the sound/vibration from the B notes. Unison or octave cause the most resonance. 5th can also cause some resonance. Maybe be B/E is a "reversed" fifth?
The effect is quite strong for certain notes on a certain guitar. On mine, the 5th A string vibrates like crazy when the higher A is played on the 3rd string.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:44 am

Thank you Chu.
Free bass E vibrates when I play free B in bar 4.

abel

Post by abel » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:35 pm

Hi everybody;
Is there any publication in this Forum D03?
bye

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:41 am

Hello all,

I seem to be getting my mistakes down on the to-be-recorded pieces. Sometimes as few as one, but have yet to be perfect ... in hitting the right notes (let alone in playing them well ... oh well). But it is interesting what a little work would do. The Paganini piece, which is probably incredibly basic for Paganini, seemed out of reach a couple weeks ago, but it's coming along well and making sense.

But there is one thing that puzzles me, besides M. Delcamp's abrupt change in tempo the second time through in measures 7-8 (around the 0:27 mark in the video). It's that the second time through around measure 4, it originally sounded qualitatively different to me (around the 0:14 mark). But I could not come up with anything - the notes are not flattened a half step or anything (which is what I thought was happening at first). And listening to the video several times, I can't detect much of a difference now. Perhaps my brain interpreted it in a way that "made sense to my brain" - such as if Bach had written it instead of Paganini, my expectations influenced what I heard. Could that be? Does anyone else experience that?

cw

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:31 pm

Dear all,
My two pieces for this lesson...Duang :casque:

[media]https://youtu.be/qajJ7IpBN5s[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/Jgot7RZYRxg[/media]

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:16 pm

Duang, nice sound on both pieces!
You have come to a good point, in my opinion with little more reading both pieces will be very good.
Also, I didn't see any damping in both pieces.

:bravo:

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:31 pm

Thank you very much Haris.
Hmm, I always forget about the damping, will keep in mind next time.
Do you think I could upload again if I make better recordings?
Thanks again,
Duang :bye:

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:25 am

Of course you can upload again. In Spanish forum they upload each piece many times and improve it with help of the comments each time.
But I think that the link for your uploaded piece in 1st post will point to the 1st upload, even if the next ones will be better.
Last edited by Haris Karachristianidis on Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”