D03 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Marko Räsänen

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:15 am

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:But I think that the link for your uploaded piece in 1st post will point to the 1st upload, even if the next ones will be better.
I'm not sure how Stefan does it (we've divided the classes between the two of us, and D03 "belongs" to Stefan), but as the primary use of the index is to determine that the students have fulfilled the requirements for the end of year exam, I haven't been updating the index with improved versions. Posting of improved versions based on the feedback from others is of course encouraged.

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Haris Karachristianidis
Student of the online lessons

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:06 pm

Last year when I uploaded an improved 2nd version, 1st post pointed to 1st version and the moderator told me that it will remain so. Anyway, it is not important.

Katherine Chu

Post by Katherine Chu » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:32 am

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:.... In Spanish forum they upload each piece many times anf improve it with help of the comments each time.
Eh... well, that is not completely true. But yeah, as Marko said, posting of improved versions based on the feedback is always a good thing to do.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:46 am

Why do you say that Chu? I did not say that everyone in the Spanish forum does it. But some of the students upload pieces more than once. I mentioned it as something that is good.

Katherine Chu

Post by Katherine Chu » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:40 am

heheh.. yeah, sure it is positive, if used in a positive way. But some take too much freedom in uploading videos. What I mean is that instead of reviewing their work themselves (before posting them), they just rely too much in others to do that... which is not good. :(

And then the thread ends up with a bunch of test versions of the pieces, making it harder to read, and adding extra work for the moderators too :chaud: .

Katherine Chu

Post by Katherine Chu » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:48 am

oh, by the way, Duang. My comments are not directed to you. I think your pieces are pretty decent, with just few minor mistakes. So it is really up to you if you want to resend an improved version.

:bye:

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:32 pm

Here are my videos for this lesson.
Thank you for comments! :)

[media]https://youtu.be/ORfr0rtrmLg[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/vblKUXTOynw[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/Dn4dYwPatxU[/media]

Katherine Chu

Post by Katherine Chu » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:17 am

Very nice Haris. I only have few comments:

- On the prelude no 4, you played a C on the last beat, and should be a C#
- On the Valse, next time you might try doing damping for the rest notes that are on some beats, like on beat 1 and 2 (someone actually made the same comment to me :lol: )

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:59 am

Katherine Chu wrote:Very nice Haris. I only have few comments:

- On the prelude no 4, you played a C on the last beat, and should be a C#
- On the Valse, next time you might try doing damping for the rest notes that are on some beats, like on beat 1 and 2 (someone actually made the same comment to me :lol: )
Katherin, I think after your comments I have to make new recordings. :D
You are right about your 1st point, I forgot about the # on C...
Could you please explain which exactly notes I should damp? On beat 1 I damp the free G, should I damp more?

Thank you for comment!

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:35 pm

Haris,

I believe Katherine may be referring to measure 19, first beat where the first time you played it, you didn't damp the bass D note where there's the rest. But other than that you did a very good job with the damping in Valse!

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:08 pm

Thank you Marko, at measure 19 I don't damp D, as I don't damp any of these notes at these measures. I also do not damp any melody note eg in measure 1 which all have the same duration. Should all these notes be damped? I think it wouldn't sound nice.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:46 pm

Haris,
In measure 1, I would damp the bass e on beat 2 (with p), the bass g on beat 3 (with i), and possibly higher voice b with m when entering the next measure (the higher voice e gets played again at beat 1 of measure 2, so no need to worry about it. But I don't think damping the b is mandatory there, as it more or less drones through the first two parts of the piece.

As far as I can tell you do damp the bass note d with your right hand thumb on the first beat of measures 19, 20 and 23, and then later when the same pattern occurs on the 4th part. It's just the first time you play measures 18 and 19, you leave the d from measure 18 ringing during the first beat of measure 19. Maybe you and I understand damping differently? :D

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:57 pm

Thank you Marko!
In measure 1 I damp bass e by just lifting a little the finger 2 and I damp the harmonics of free bass e with finger 1. Like you, bass g on beat 3 (with i). I did not think of damping b with m till now, but will try it.
No we are not thinking damping differently :-)
Should we damp e when we play the exact next note b or when the rest sign comes at the beginning of next measure? (that is what I did exept the times you mention.)

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:11 pm

Thanks Katherine for the comments. I see your point on making a new recording. Thanks again. :casque:
Duang

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:20 pm

Haris Congratulation! :bravo:
I like your tempo on Prelude, it's so steady.
The valse one is the one that I would love to make recording but need a lot of work to get it sound right first :oops: :chaud:
Duang

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”