D03 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Katherine Chu

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Katherine Chu » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:22 am

Oh sorry Haris, my mistake :lol:
You do damp the notes on the valse. I thought you didn't cause I didn't see your finger doing the damping. But now that i HEAR it again, yeah, you are right!.... I should know better not to trust my eyes! :lol:

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:26 am

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:Should we damp e when we play the exact next note b or when the rest sign comes at the beginning of next measure? (that is what I did exept the times you mention.)
I would let the high e ring until the end of the measure, unless I wanted to emphasize the b note for some reason, for example to make measures 1 and 2 sound different from each other.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:13 pm

Duang, thank you for comment!

Katherine, don't blame yourself, I should record video in a better angle, so you could see better the right hand.

Marko, thank you for reply, but I made a mistake in sentence "Should we damp e when we play the exact next note b or when the rest sign comes at the beginning of next measure? (that is what I did exept the times you mention.)". I meant d not e. I ask about measures 19, 20 in Valse. Sorry for mistake.. (We use the word Re instead of d, I have to get used to it.. )

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:20 pm

No problem, Haris! Those D's are quarter notes in the bass voice, so they should ring until the end of the measure, i.e. you should damp them at the beginning of the next measure, just as you did.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:03 pm

Here are my submissions - just a day or two late this time. Trying to catch up.

I found the Paganini piece to be exceptionally challenging. The Carulli was easy (to learn, note-wise) but I should have been able to get it more legato (I think I probably over-allocated my time to the Paganini piece).

Carulli:
[media]https://youtu.be/b4rjU404yy4[/media]

Paganini:
[media]https://youtu.be/7xI49VKIbcU[/media]
Last edited by CarlWestman on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:22 pm

Duang,

Good job on posting - and posting early. Are you going to upload again, or are you going to move on to lesson 6? Apart from the comments already provided, I would suggest trying to increase your tempo to be closer to the indicated range. Also, it would be nice to be able to see your left hand in the Carulli piece.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:38 pm

Haris,

Excellent job on Paganini, esp. in dampening - that's something I didn't realize was needed until relatively late in my practice period, so my early "muscle memory" did not incorporate it. In the spirit of Duang's submission I just played it to myself at a much slower tempo, and the dampening came easy. With another couple weeks maybe I could have built it up to full speed with good dampening. On yours, I might only inquire whether you dampened the bass notes even earlier than the 1/8 beat duration. It sometimes sounds that way, but it's too difficult to tell for sure.

During my practice I tried to play along with M. Delcamp's version at a slower speed, but his change in tempo near the end always messed up my timing. I could not play along with it at all unless I was going to copy his approach, which I didn't want to do.

On Carulli 114 n 4, I agree with the C# business, but that's already been addressed.

Carulli's valse - such a beautiful yet melancholy piece!! Thanks for posting that. I wish I had time to really learn it. You did a such a great job with it - maybe better than the other two! And it's so long, compared to what we're used to. Kudos.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:11 pm

CarlWestman wrote:Carulli's valse - such a beautiful yet melancholy piece!! Thanks for posting that. I wish I had time to really learn it. You did a such a great job with it - maybe better than the other two! And it's so long, compared to what we're used to. Kudos.
That is not strange because I liked very much Valse and I did not like the other two :) . The most difficult in Valse is to do the dampings and the length. I did not do dampings too before Delcamp lessons.
Carl, thank you for the extensive comments! I can't here your videos at work, so I comment later.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:20 pm

Carl Prelude is very good. It is legato except of 1-2 changes. I guess it is a recording issue, the basses are louder than the other strings.

Paganini's piece is very good too, with little more practice it will be perfect. One notice: If I understand correctly from seeing the video at around 0:03-0:05 you play continuously 2, 3 notes with i finger instead of altering i-m. This may slow your pace and make the piece more difficult.

I know your opinion about nails, but I think your sound which is nice would improve if you let short nails and continued to play with the same technique (with flesh+nails). You could only try it for a small period (if you have not already tried it).

:bravo:

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:48 pm

Congratulations Carl! Both pieces of yours are very good. I like your timing. :bravo:
CarlWestman wrote:Duang,

Good job on posting - and posting early. Are you going to upload again, or are you going to move on to lesson 6? Apart from the comments already provided, I would suggest trying to increase your tempo to be closer to the indicated range. Also, it would be nice to be able to see your left hand in the Carulli piece.
Thanks for your comments Carl. I think I will try recording again but I'm not going to upload. Just to see my own progress. :D
CarlWestman wrote:Haris,

Carulli's valse - such a beautiful yet melancholy piece!! Thanks for posting that. I wish I had time to really learn it. You did a such a great job with it - maybe better than the other two! And it's so long, compared to what we're used to. Kudos.
Haris, I agree with Carl with Carulli's valse. I wish I had time too. Longing for School's holidays so I could have more time :wink:

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:16 pm

Haris,

You must have very keen eyes! I hadn't noticed that, but nothing I did unconsciously would surprise me on that piece. Surely you don't think I intended those facial expressions! :) Just an indication of the concentration I had to muster to just get through the darn thing.

w/r/t nails it's ironic you mention it, because late in my practice time, near the point of recording, I had some nails, but was constantly catching them on the strings as I moved around. After some time trying to overcome that, I decided to just trim them, and the problem went away. Having said that, I have noticed that on my Rover, a little bit of nail goes a long way in getting the small, solid top to resonate nicely and project well. Most of the time I'm playing my full-scale guitar in front of a mic just several inches away, so strong projection isn't critical. I do recognize that nails give a different tone. I will see if I can do lesson 6 with a little growth in my RH nails, and see how that goes.

Again, many thanks for feedback.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:43 am

CarlWestman wrote: w/r/t nails it's ironic you mention it, because late in my practice time, near the point of recording, I had some nails, but was constantly catching them on the strings as I moved around. After some time trying to overcome that, I decided to just trim them, and the problem went away. Having said that, I have noticed that on my Rover, a little bit of nail goes a long way in getting the small, solid top to resonate nicely and project well. Most of the time I'm playing my full-scale guitar in front of a mic just several inches away, so strong projection isn't critical. I do recognize that nails give a different tone.
Again, many thanks for feedback.
That is my point, the different tone and the easiness of playing when you have the right length and shape and you have got used to, not the stronger projection. Nails that catch means that maybe they are longer than they should, or they have not the right shape, eg curved downwards or maybe you have not the correct angle to the strings. My nails catch too if they get longer (normally they are not longer than my fingertips).

These articles are a good starting point:
http://theguitarjournal.blogspot.gr/200 ... -long.html
http://www.thisisclassicalguitar.com/fi ... al-guitar/
http://www.aaronshearerfoundation.org/s ... our-nails/
I will see if I can do lesson 6 with a little growth in my RH nails, and see how that goes.
Good decision!

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:19 am

Congratulations everyone, very good submissions!
For a moment I thought I was going to skip this lesson. I didn't find so much time to practice this month. I wish I could catch up and be the first one to post like in the beginning. But here are my recordings anyways, I don't wanna get behind. I need to move to lesson 6.
I recorded with my laptop camera and I don't think the audio is good. I think I used to record much better with the cell phone.
[media]https://youtu.be/UNiKJ2xGsgs[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/9xvRu_6JgfE[/media]
see you in lesson 6 :bye:

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:40 am

:bravo: Bea, you play the pieces very well!
Ghiribizzo n1 is very good, speed will come with little more playing.
Prelude 4 is also good, but I would advise to not keep last of the 4 notes longer. All 4 notes and the 1st of the next 4 should have the same interval.

abel

Post by abel » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:46 pm

Hi Haris,
I have heard your pieces. They are very nice.
Congratulations.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”