D04 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Marko Räsänen

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:11 pm

Hi Cat,

There's a few reading mistakes (I think) in your Dowland recording:

The last beat of m1, m5 etc: the middle note in the chord is an 'a', not 'c#'

The bass note in the first the beat of m12 is an 'f#', not 'b', so it seems that you have a tendency to play some notes one string higher than you should, although the fret position is correct.

It's also very important for this piece to mute the open bass strings, so that they don't sound much over their duration, because the harmonic structure of the piece will suffer from that. Therefore I suggest that the next time you study this piece, play it very slowly and concentrate on the right hand damping. It's not too difficult to do, but it takes some dedicated practice.

You managed to bring out the melody quite nice, despite the rhythmic mistakes that Mark mentioned. Good job!

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:54 am

Mark and Marko,

Thank you for the detailed feedback! This is very helpful. Yes I agree that I tend to neglect the damping of bass notes in this and other pieces. Once my finger is healed, I should be able to concentrate more on the right hand.
Thanks again!
Cat

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:12 pm

Playing catch-up. My submissions for 05, with one more to go for this lesson.

Tarrega - Estudio, en mi minor
[media]https://youtu.be/jPUs6LStzOY[/media]

John Downloand - Mistris Winters Jumpe
[media]https://youtu.be/-l_LlxcV2x8[/media]

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:44 pm

Satyajit,
:bravo:
Both pieces sound lovely! You captured the "feeling" of both pieces in your performances. The only thing that would make them sound more
"professional" would be to grow those nails a bit on the right hand if you are able to. This would allow those strings to "sing" a bit more.
I enjoyed listening to these performances. :casque:
-Cat Livingston

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:24 am

Thanks Cat! Playing catch-up. I need to look up a few videos on RH nails.

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:11 pm

Fernando Sor - Exercice opus 35 n°22
[media]https://youtu.be/0q1KETVnfJ8[/media]

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:43 am

Good job, Satyajit!

The upper voice separates nicely from other voices, and your tempo, although it could also be faster, is good for this piece.

This piece is rather demanding for the left hand for fourth year students because of the barrés. There were some dead notes in your playing, but if you don't have much experience with barre, that is to be expected. It will get better and easier after some years of doing it.

You made some mistakes because of having to look at the score. I would suggest to move the music stand to the left side, so that you don't have to move your head when switching your focus between the fretboard and the score. It will allow better tracking of where you are in the music, and eventually you'll keep your eyes on the score most of the time, looking at your left hand only when you need to for extra security (typically during position shifts).
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:55 am

Thanks, Marko for the inputs. Yep, had to keep looking to the left. The Alternating between barring and not-barring got the index finger pretty sore. Mine has a deep ridge towards the base of the index, so sounding the barred-E and B is a hit and a miss as of now. I hope it gets better with practice.

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:26 pm

Satyajit,

Nice work! You have a nice "feel" for this piece. This is a fairly long piece compared to the ones
we have learned leading up to this lesson. My index finger got a bit sore and stiff as well! I had to take breaks. I think this is a good piece to use as practice in strengthening the left hand finger to create clear sounding bar chords. Your playing of this piece sounds musical and the notes played with the barre chords will sound more "clear" with time. I am happy to see that you are still working your way through these lessons and are making such good progress. It inspires me to do the same.
:) Cat Livingston

George Karpenkov

Post by George Karpenkov » Sun May 03, 2015 12:47 pm

Great work everyone! One question on "Jump": how do you guys keep rhythm? With so much rhythmical division counting becomes unfeasible for the fastest notes, is there any way to guarantee a steady rhythm?
For such pieces I just usually try to mimic what I have heard, but it's probably not the best solution.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue May 05, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi George!

I would suggest to learn the piece melody in your head first without the guitar. Tap the rhythm with your foot (6 taps for measure) and try to sing / hum the melody. It also helps to listen to others' performances first. What I often do with a new complex piece, is to listen to Professor Delcamp's performance of the piece and try to follow the sheet music with my eyes at the same time. The key is to start practice slowly so that you do not incorporate any rhythmic mistakes or inaccuracies into your playing.

I don't believe in actually counting with numbers myself. I rather "hear" the beat inside my head when I play.

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Fri May 08, 2015 4:25 am

Greetings all,

Here's a recording of the Tarrega E minor study and Sor B minor study

[media]https://youtu.be/H3VpkMwu7k4[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/pw2Rngyxhxo[/media]
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri May 08, 2015 5:02 am

Very nicely played both studies, John! :bravo:

Perhaps Tarrega could be a tad slower and more expressive. The voicing in Sor study was especially good!
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

George Karpenkov

Post by George Karpenkov » Sat May 09, 2015 2:00 pm

Hi All,

I'm running severely out of time, with 2 more lessons to finish in a couple of weeks.
So I think I'll have to post what I have now, and then potentially come back later.

Dowland, John Mistris Winters Jumpe

I know that the tempo is quite off =/ I've found the rhythm to be very complicated in this little piece.
[media]https://youtu.be/OTN2W-mI_AM[/media]

Sor, Fernando Exercice opus 35 n°22, en si mineur, Segovia n°5

I've actually really liked this piece, but it's difficult to keep all the transitions smooth.
[media]https://youtu.be/HdpOQm17GY0[/media]

Tárrega, Francisco Estudio, en mi minor

I've actually found this piece easiest by far, but it is quite possible I have missed something.
[media]https://youtu.be/VEmP9xNb2T0[/media]

George Karpenkov

Post by George Karpenkov » Sat May 09, 2015 2:03 pm

@John:

The Sor piece was really nice, wow! At a high speed as well. And you've memorized the piece as well?

Tarrega's estudio has a few split-second hesitations here and there, and is less smooth.
Can't really say much beyond that.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”