D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Madeleine Pashkofsky

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:48 pm

Hi All,
Could someone please tell me what is meant by the Italian terms "bute" and "appoggiato"? These terms are listed in each exercise for this lesson. I was unable to find definitions online. Also, is there a reference document here on Delcamp that explains the terms used in lessons? Thanks.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:27 am

Hi Madeleine,

They both mean "rest stroke". Buté, I believe, is French, and appoggiato Italian. I'm not aware of any reference document. Just ask here, if something is not clear to you, or you cannot find the answer with search.

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:15 am

Thank you Marko. :)

Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:05 am

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:Bert, Ricercar is very good, but in my opinion it could be much better at lower speed...
Agree. It sounds rushed to me.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:11 am

Rajesh,

Some of the bass notes in Lecon 1 were played with free instead of rest stroke. Other than that, the pieces sound good, and the movements on both right and left hands are very smooth.

Claude Huddy

Post by Claude Huddy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:35 pm

:chaud: Hi All Colleagues

Zafar - good work on first exercise - sweet as maple

Chu - a good post for all presentations - whatever difficulties you have in practice, your results are smooth and complete - notes, fingers on frets and timing

Bert - although I agree with Chu your presentation may be too fast I liked the fact that I heard all your notes clearly - slowing down a touch will provide an improved sound for you

Rajesh - good postings - all notes recorded and clear - Your finger movements looked okay to me but my ear won't be as good as Chu's - not as smooth as could be but very close to mark and a little further practice will benefit

Madeleine - thank you for your advice on improvisation - unfortunately my lesson practice sounds closer to random improvisation than it should so I may enjoy the improvisations later

Hope to post something in next day or two :chaud:

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:47 pm

Hello classmates,
Here are my videos for Lesson 6 exercises. I like that we are working on a Sor piece this month. I used a more close-up angle for my right hand this time. I am playing on my new Cordoba C9 Parlor (very comfortable!). :)

Sor Lecon I Opus 60
[media]https://youtu.be/cJmyi8PNFF0[/media]

Anonyme Ricercar
[media]https://youtu.be/WT0G25wDPoE[/media]

Delcamp Scales No. 6
[media]https://youtu.be/14V47RUqUC8[/media]

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:48 pm

Claude Huddy wrote::chaud: Hi All Colleagues

Zafar - good work on first exercise - sweet as maple

Chu - a good post for all presentations - whatever difficulties you have in practice, your results are smooth and complete - notes, fingers on frets and timing

Bert - although I agree with Chu your presentation may be too fast I liked the fact that I heard all your notes clearly - slowing down a touch will provide an improved sound for you

Rajesh - good postings - all notes recorded and clear - Your finger movements looked okay to me but my ear won't be as good as Chu's - not as smooth as could be but very close to mark and a little further practice will benefit

Madeleine - thank you for your advice on improvisation - unfortunately my lesson practice sounds closer to random improvisation than it should so I may enjoy the improvisations later

Hope to post something in next day or two :chaud:
That's what improvisation is: random. :)

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:55 pm

Bert Stendahl wrote:Lesson 6A.
I think you achieve a very good tone in your picking approach, so bravo on that. I agree that you are playing too fast and this results in some incorrect notes and an inconsistent tempo. Try to play with your metronome and set it at a speed in which you can play all the way through three times with no errors. Once you can do that then increase the speed by 5 bpm and so on....

Bert Stendahl

Post by Bert Stendahl » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:15 pm

That guitar look shining and it sounds good too I guess. Why did you choose that one?
Madeleine Pashkofsky wrote:Hello classmates,
Here are my videos for Lesson 6 exercises. I like that we are working on a Sor piece this month. I used a more close-up angle for my right hand this time. I am playing on my new Cordoba C9 Parlor (very comfortable!). :)
Never Mind the Bollocks

Kushtrim Avdiu

Post by Kushtrim Avdiu » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:37 pm

Hi Everyone,
Here are my submissions for this lesson:

[media]https://youtu.be/Z6m024Ndzac[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/SfVEqKnZM_Y[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/jVQiO6XvG3E[/media]

Thank you
Kushtrim

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:47 am

Hi Kushtrim,

In your Ricercar your bass strings are seriously out of tune relative to treble strings, especially the 5th string. In Sor's Leccion 1 the 5th string seems ok, but the 4th string doesn't sound in tune relative to treble strings. It is one of my responsibilities as a lesson mod to remind the students to tune their guitars before recording. You don't need to re-record the pieces, or anything like that. This is just a reminder.

Marko
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Madeleine Pashkofsky

Post by Madeleine Pashkofsky » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:17 am

Thanks Bert. Yes it has a gloss finish and as a result can be hard to reduce reflections on video. I think it has a wonderful tone. I chose it because the scale length is 630mm and more comfortable for my hands. And I love mahogany. :)
Bert Stendahl wrote:That guitar look shining and it sounds good too I guess. Why did you choose that one?
Madeleine Pashkofsky wrote:Hello classmates,

Kushtrim Avdiu

Post by Kushtrim Avdiu » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:41 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote:Hi Kushtrim,

In your Ricercar your bass strings are seriously out of tune relative to treble strings, especially the 5th string. In Sor's Leccion 1 the 5th string seems ok, but the 4th string doesn't sound in tune relative to treble strings. It is one of my responsibilities as a lesson mod to remind the students to tune their guitars before recording. You don't need to re-record the pieces, or anything like that. This is just a reminder.

Marko
Thank you Marko

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:49 am

Madeleine,

Your guitar sounds very nice. After looking at the reviews, I narrowed down to either a C9 or a Francisco Navarro Student model. When I came to the store to test out the guitars, they only had some C7s and a Loriente Clarita. I really liked the Clarita, but it was almost twice what I could afford. So I ended up with the Francisco Navarro.

About your pieces,
Sor: many bass notes were played with free strokes, and as a result sounded softer than the treble notes. After a series of bass notes, the treble notes were often played with free strokes.
Ricerca: Same as above, soft free stroke bass notes. The open treble B in measure 6 and 18 were not damped.
Scale: should be played with i and m (not i and p).

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”