D03 Classical guitar lesson 06

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Haris Karachristianidis

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:35 pm

CarlWestman wrote:Do you think that is generally the case - that without nails, free stroke volume is harder to obtain?

CW
In my experience, yes. Also the clarity of the sound without nails is difficult to be achieved and I think speed too.
Last edited by Haris Karachristianidis on Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:40 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:Also the clarity of the sound with nails is difficult to be achieved and I think speed too.
Did you mean without? Or do you really mean sound clarity and speed is harder with nails?

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:47 pm

Yes, sorry, I meant without.
But as I said this is my experience. For me playing guitar without nails would not be an option, I think I would loose so much. But of course there are guitarist who play without nails and have very good results.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:02 pm

Duang, n39 and La Minona are beautifuly played! Nice sound!La Minona is very musical.

Carl, n39 in 3/4 is very good!

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:29 pm

Thanks Haris and Carl. :merci:

Haris, I think the La Minona is a bit slow. Yours one is a bit fast but very good and musical.

Carl, I like the speed of your La Minona.

:bravo: to you both :casque:

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:12 am

Hi everyone. I'm working on Lesson 6 now, and I have a question for our moderator. Why is it necessary to alternate left hand fingering on trills and mordants? I seem to be faster just using 121 or 3131 or whatever. Is it because it is faster?
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:44 am

Hi Rick, I skipped this lesson but since you are working on this lesson I am going to take the time to do it with more motivation. Good question! First I thought this finger alternation had some sort of purpose to develop dexterity in our fingers. But there must be a reason such as speed like you say. Hope someone will answer this question.

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:09 am

Great Bea. I think you should. It's important as being the first look at trills and ornamentation common in baroque. And I think there'll be a lot of baroque in our future so we may as well get it down now. I can do trills I just can't do that alternating finger thingy.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:19 am

Rick Beauregard wrote:Hi everyone. I'm working on Lesson 6 now, and I have a question for our moderator. Why is it necessary to alternate left hand fingering on trills and mordants? I seem to be faster just using 121 or 3131 or whatever. Is it because it is faster?
I already had some discussion with Carl. See my response at the first page of this thread :D

In essence, yes it will become faster / stronger than using single finger once you master the technique.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:15 am

I'll take your word for that. And keep on trying. I've always seen them interpreted that way but never knew why they bother when two fingers work perfectly well. My videos may show occasional slippage into habit.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:54 am

Here are my best efforts for now on Lesson 6. Like most of you I am having a hard time doing the trills right. For years I played them wrong, without alternation of the fingers, and frankly they sounded fine to me and fast. But I'll give it a go to learn the "right" way. :contrat:

[media]https://youtu.be/r_PT40W9K-Q[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/UqQXH3FkFj8[/media]
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:13 am

Very nice Rick, your trills are pretty good. I am not near this point yet with the trills. I need few days, will probably post Sunday or next week. Your trills sound much louder than mine, i can barely hear when i hit the string with the pinky.
I have a question about mordants. Is mordants the opposites of trills?

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:47 pm

Thanks Bea. That pinky is always the weakest finger and it needs the most practice. At first it seems impossible, but with time it will become stronger. To have good trills you need to practice your legatos or slurs/hammers/pull-offs. There are good exercises in this D03 class for that, and there are many others. It is tough on the hand, but you have to practice this every day. It is kind of like weight training. In fact there's a great book on hand development by Scott Tennant called Pumping Nylon. I highly recommend it. I also found these slur exercises called "power slurs" http://www.************/slurs.html.

Meanwhile, work the slur exercises form Delcamp into your weekly routine. I do the power slur exercises three days a week and rest in between and on weekends (this is critical, rest in between). They are brutal at first but improvement is rapid. Once you can do a powerful, clear, rapid hammers and pull-offs, trills and ornaments will be more powerful, guaranteed.

I'm not sure I'd say mordants and trills were opposites exactly. Trills have three notes, thus the name. I think mordants have four, but I think that can vary and mordants can have many more notes played rapidly. This is not an authoritative answer, just my observation. I defer to someone more schooled in music theory. There is also a link from Marko in a previous post I made earlier on ornamentation. I'll find it and repost it here.

Happy slurs. Don't slur your words!
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:15 am

:) Thanks for the links Rick, yes I've heard of that Pumping Nylon, apparently it is very famous.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:29 am

The tip of my left index gets very tender from pressing and slipping from F# to A high back and forth when doing the trills in La minona de cataluna. Did this happen to you Rick?

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”