D03 Classical guitar lesson 06

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:44 am

Oh ya. I have some good calluses but my fingertips are still tender. Not much to avoid that except playing and tine. Mine get numb.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:15 pm

I don't get how am I so bad at these trills, I think this has been the most difficult lesson for me this year. Congratulations everybody on your coordination with the ring and pinky for the trills. And especially Haris your trills were wow excellent!
[media]https://youtu.be/YxGD7xDY6tc[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/Vvw9U_NawJ0[/media]

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:53 pm

Beatriz Martin wrote:coordination with the ring and pinky

Just that damn pinky!

So looking at your video it looks like you're pulling it UP off the string, perpendicular to the fret board, instead of pulling parallel to the fret board and plucking the string. This is a common mistake. The correct way is sort of like doing a rest stroke with your left hand. You pull and pluck the string along the fret board and your finger rests on the next string (except when its a pull off on the first string). You don't need a lot of energy in it to get a sound. Scott Tennant's book (Pumping Nylon) explains it very well with pictures, which I probably shouldn't attach due to copyright issues. But you can find his work online.

Keeping working on descending slur exercises and concentrate on the pull offs with your pinky (4-3). One exercise that is brutal, but I do it every other day, is this one from Power Slurs http://www.************/slurs.html. I guarantee that if you start doing these exercises about 5 minutes every other day you will get stronger.

Keep at it Bea!
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:21 pm

Bea, I can't understand if you have to improve your slurs technique or the applied strenght (or both).
I would advise you to devide the slurs in 2 parts: ascending and descending. Play them very slowly, but make sure you can hear them clearly. Rick's advice is very good for descending slurs, but for ascending slurs you have to keep the finger purpendicular to the string you hit. Practice some minutes everyday slowly but accurately in the beginning.
Also practice many times the change in the sth measure.

I found this lesson very difficult too and the fact that I did not like this piece made it more diffcult.. I practiced everyday for my fingers to become stronger and I submitted the lesson at the end.
Thank you for comment!

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:07 pm

Thanks a lot for the comments Rick and Haris. I need to practice slowly at first like you say.
Rick Beauregard wrote:Keeping working on descending slur exercises and concentrate on the pull offs with your pinky (4-3)
Thanks for this advice Rick, I need to kill these exercises.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”