D04 Classical guitar lesson 06

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Catherine Livingston

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 06

Post by Catherine Livingston » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:46 pm

Marko,

Thanks so much for the detailed and helpful feedback! I will on the harmonics technique. There might be a youtube video out there that demonstrates this technique if I get stuck.
:merci: Cat

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Fri May 01, 2015 8:00 am

Napoléon Coste - Barcarolle opus 51

[media]https://youtu.be/dnYn1AbDdwA[/media]

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Sun May 03, 2015 12:56 am

Satyajit,

You played the Bacarolle by Coste very well! I know you have probably moved on because you are catching up but if you wish to improve this piece in the future then you could work on your trills a bit more. I also need to work more on trills/mordants. We haven't had much practice with these up to this point. Trills are emphasized heavily in lessons 8 and 9. There is a very good exercise in lesson 9. You were able to execute the harmonic using the right hand in measure 14 the first time before the repeat, which I wasn't able to do. There are quite a few position changes in this piece and you handled them smoothly. I am looking forward to hearing your other submissions for this lesson.
:bye: Cat Livingston

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Mon May 04, 2015 12:42 pm

Thanks for your feedback, Cat! Yes, trills and mordants need more practice. I did notice the Zarabanda in lesson 9, will get to it probably after I finish the mandatory lessons and practicing for the exam. I'll be posting on lessons 6 and 7 as I finish.

George Karpenkov

Post by George Karpenkov » Tue May 12, 2015 10:20 am

Hi guys,

I'm confused by the rhythmic notation in "Lu Primm'ammore". Maybe I'm confused by many voices being present on the score at once.

1) The time signature is 6/8
2) Thus each bar is divided into two subsections, of 3/8 each.
3) In the first few bars, in the second subsection the upper voice plays 1.5 * quarter, and the lower voice plays 3/8, occupying exactly half of the bar.
4) But in the first subsection of the bar something weird happens: we have two quarters, which already occupy 2/4 = 4/8 more than half of the bar, and on top of that there's another eighth. How does it all fit? O___O

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Tue May 12, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi George, You're right in that you should count 6/8. The quarter notes are to be played as if playing 8th notes... that's the only way I'd interpret it. Even I had wondered about this. The time signature says 6/8 and the rhythm M. Delcamp plays supports it.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue May 12, 2015 1:42 pm

There are three voices. Looking at measure 1:

1) the bass voice plays the low G that lasts for the whole measure.
2) the middle voice plays quarter g - 8th f# - 8th e - f# - d
3) the upper voice plays 8th rest - quarter b - dotted quarter b

Each voice counts 6 8ths.

Hope this helps! :bye:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

George Karpenkov

Post by George Karpenkov » Thu May 14, 2015 4:15 pm

Thanks Marko! That clarifies it!

Exercice opus 35 n°13, en do majeur
[media]https://youtu.be/jg7MVAYYFuQ[/media]

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Fri May 15, 2015 2:39 am

George,

Nice job with the Sor study! Your tempo/timing is good, you play the right hand pattern smoothly and you played through the difficult passages at the end without a hitch.
:)
-Cat Livingston

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Fri May 15, 2015 6:30 am

George, the tempo was very consistent and rhythm was correct. Well done!

However you had some extra movement with your left hand. Basically you lifted fingers from frets where you shouldn't have. For example measure 1: You should keep fingers 2 and 3 fretted for the whole measure. Actually finger 3 should be kept fretted until the end of measure 6. Finger 2 is lifted in measure 3 where it needs to fret 'f'. You also lift finger 4 in measure 2 too soon making the high 'g' only half of its intended duration and cutting the melody short. In measure 2 you should keep fingers 3 and 2 in place for the whole measure, fret 4 at the first beat and lift it just as you play the open 'e', and then fret the 1st finger for 'c', all the time keeping 2 and 3 fretted.

If that seems hard to do, it's an issue with finger independence and you should concentrate on practicing it. The ability to move individual left hand fingers while keeping others fretted (and the notes sounding) is the basis for polyphonic playing, and D05 and onwards are filled with pieces requiring you to be able to do that. Scott Tennant's "Pumping nylon" has some excellent exercises for development of finger independence. :bye:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

George Karpenkov

Post by George Karpenkov » Fri May 15, 2015 8:12 am

Hi Marko,

Thanks, that's a very insightful comment! I did actually work through those exercises in the "Pumping Nylon" book, but clearly not enough.
I'm struggling with the similar issues in "Lu primm'ammore" (which is surprisingly easy to play if no fingering mistakes are made)

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Sat May 16, 2015 9:58 am

George, well done with the Sor exercise, very smooth!
I'm going to revisit all of these post the exam, need more practice with finger independence.

Fernando Sor Exercise 13, Op 35
[media]https://youtu.be/wSeqTeM5ZsU[/media]

Francesco Roggi Lu primm'ammore
[media]https://youtu.be/PikisJC7edA[/media]

George Karpenkov

Post by George Karpenkov » Sun May 17, 2015 3:13 pm

Francesco Roggi, Lu Primm'ammore

Not really polished, but will have to do.

[media]https://youtu.be/AmgHhhoGPms[/media]

George Karpenkov

Post by George Karpenkov » Sun May 17, 2015 3:16 pm

Satyajit, nice work!

My notes seem to be cut very abruptly compared to yours: so good job on making the transitions sound smooth! (though I'm still trying to figure out whether it is cased by the recording quality)

Catherine Livingston

Post by Catherine Livingston » Tue May 19, 2015 3:13 am

Satyajit and George!

Congratulatons! I am impressed at the pace at which you have been posting videos this month!

Satyajit, It seems to me that you are on the right track with these pieces and the fluency will come with more practice.

George, You are off to a good start. The Roggi piece would sound better if it were played more legato. Focus on sustaining the notes a bit longer. I know you are catching up right now and you are doing an amazing job all things considered.

John .M. posted the lesson 9 piece to fulfill the 7 lesson requirement. There is only 1 piece required in lesson 9 and to me it is less difficult than some of the pieces in lessons 7 or 8. Good luck!

:bye: Cat Livingston

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”