D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Archit Junnarkar

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Archit Junnarkar » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:15 pm

Laertes wrote:Hi Bill, David and Archit. I just wanted to point out that you should keep in mind the duration of the notes in your playing of the Ecossaise. The bass notes are quarter notes, so they should ring only for one beat and you have to stop them for the second beat with your thumb. See Brian's v.
Hello Laertes,
Thanks for pointing that out.
Well it's been a while since I have been ignoring damping, deliberately I must admit. I find it a little difficult but I know this is no excuse to make. I think damping is something that really adds a lot of flavor, particularly when some notes have to just stop from ringing. Well I am going to start working on them next time onwards :merci:

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:06 am

Brian Hunker wrote:Ok. Here are my Lesson 7 submissions.

I hope you are satisfied with my contribution to the Musical Game collaboration. I think it really turned out well and everyone played their compositional role perfectly. :bravo: everyone!
:merci: for your feedback.
Dido to what Archit said. Very well done. I didn't notice Delcamp damping those base notes. I learn as I go. Great catch Brian! :bravo: Bill

Bill Davis

Post by Bill Davis » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:07 am

Laertes wrote:Hi Bill, David and Archit. I just wanted to point out that you should keep in mind the duration of the notes in your playing of the Ecossaise. The bass notes are quarter notes, so they should ring only for one beat and you have to stop them for the second beat with your thumb. See Brian's video for he does it very clearly, just listen carefully to the bass notes and also look how he stops them with the thumb.

These bass notes are the most noticeable ones, but I think you are not stopping either other notes, for example the G on the 1st string 4th fret in the last bar of the second line.

Stopping the notes when they should not ring adds a great level of difficutly but it improves the music greatly. On the other hand please note that the mutings are not always indicated by the asterik sign (which is not a normal sign in music scores and only appears in Delcamp's scores, I guess as an aid to us the students) and you have to follow the silences and the duration of each note as they are in the score.
Good point Laertes. I never noticed the damping until Brian brought it up, but my post was in. So like Archit I too will have to listen more carefully and watch the sheet music a little better. :merci: Bill

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”