D03 Classical guitar lesson 07

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Haris Karachristianidis

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:07 pm

Rick, your aspar Sanz' Rujero is very good! You seem to play easily and very nice all ornamentations!

:bravo:

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:13 pm

So is the exam piece from this lesson? I didn't even study this Ghiribizzo 23 yet. Any ideas for learning it well? Thanks,

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:26 pm

Beatriz Martin wrote:So is the exam piece from this lesson? I didn't even study this Ghiribizzo 23 yet. Any ideas for learning it well? Thanks,
Damping is a challenge, and there are some big stretches in the last section, measures 25, 26, 27. There are no damping markings, but the bass notes are quarter or eighth notes and should only ring for one beat, or half beat, respectively, so damping is implied. You can play the B in measure 27 on the second string open, but it is fingered for the third string, 4th finger (the stretch in the highlighted section). This will give it a sweeter sound, but I think others (Haris or Duang, can't remember) played it open. Otherwise the piece isn't too hard to learn. With repeats its rather long. You play it all the way through, then repeat the last 8 bars, then repeat from the top up to the Fine. Oh and don't forget the grace note slur in measures 11, 15.

Good luck!
Last edited by Rick Beauregard on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:40 pm

Thanks a lot Rick for the advice, I just finished reading the comments and listening to everybody's recordings. I am gonna start working on this asap, good that we still have a month for the exams. I ll post my work in progress later on.
It'll be interesting to try to record an exam piece without getting nervous, I wonder how many times we will have to start the recording by saying our names and then stop in the middle and start again.

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:53 pm

Beatriz Martin wrote:
It'll be interesting to try to record an exam piece without getting nervous, I wonder how many times we will have to start the recording by saying our names and then stop in the middle and start again.
I had trouble with this recording my lesson for this piece because it was a bit long. I'd get it perfect, right until I realized I was almost to fine, then I'd muff.

I asked for clarification on recording your name etc. If we can do it once, then edit it into the beginning of our recording of the piece. No answer yet.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:01 am

Rick Beauregard wrote:I asked for clarification on recording your name etc. If we can do it once, then edit it into the beginning of our recording of the piece. No answer yet.
Good idea, otherwise we will be: my name is ... my name is... again and again :) Althought maybe what we are supposed to do is to practice until getting it perfect then on the last week try 3 recordings and choose the best one.

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:38 am

Reading some notes from Carl re the Paganini piece,
CarlWestman wrote:one of them is that reach with the pinky in measure 27. I realize you can release the index (finger 1), but you still have to hold down the G with finger 3.
until when do we hold the G? just until after playing the B with the pinky?

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:46 am

Rick Beauregard wrote:There are no damping markings, but the bass notes are quarter or eighth notes and should only ring for one beat, or half beat, respectively, so damping is implied.
Hi Rick, Marko said in page 1
Marko Räsänen wrote:It's not apparent from the notation, but I would say that all the bass notes are of quarter note / crotchet duration.
not sure what this means.
Rick Beauregard wrote:Oh and don't forget the grace note slur in measures 11, 15.
Rick, how do you exactly play the grace notes :? thanks,

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:25 am

He's probably right about the bass notes. It's one of those ambiguous things. I might interpret those connected to the eighth notes to be eighths since there is no down stem showing them as quarter. In any event the require damping.

For the grace notes, you pluck the note on the beat and pull off to sound the actual note (the one following it). The grace note has half the value of the note after it, so if it is in front of a quarter note it has the value of an eight note.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:37 am

I don't think I will record this piece again. I didn't like it, the recording for lesson 7 exists, so I see no reason. I will upload mp3 + photo and maybe video too.

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:05 am

Rick Beauregard wrote: I might interpret those connected to the eighth notes to be eighths since there is no down stem showing them as quarter. In any event the require damping.
Actually there would be rests in the bass line if they were eighths, so all of the bass lines must be quarter notes.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:19 am

But shouldn't there be a pause too if basses are quarters? There is one bass in every measure. I think they have he value of the upper note eg in measure 1 quarter and in measure eighth. There is only one melody line here, no bass line.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:59 am

Here are some thoughts regarding the duration of the bass notes in Paganini's ghiribizzi: http://www.dosamigos-homepage.nl/text_e ... anini.html
I like the advice of "clear separation of bass lines".
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:02 am

Thank you, but what does he mean by this? What is the duration?

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:01 am

He means that the durations needn't to be exact, as long as the bass notes are played clearly separated from each other, i.e. damped.

You need to take into account that early 19th century gut strung instruments had very little sustain, so the exact duration wasn't a similar issue it is nowadays. Therefore the notation didn't need to be exact. Play the bass notes as long as you feel musically appropriate. That's what Paganini would have done, I'm sure.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”