D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Steven Galvin

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Steven Galvin » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:48 am

John & Salvatore

thank you for taking the time to help me

"repetitions and muscle memory" is right - it's so satisfying when you practise and over time you "get it"

&

"count the beats out loud" is right - it's a great bit of advice. I started counting - it's hard on the "and" beat.

More practice!

Pyit Phyo Aung

Post by Pyit Phyo Aung » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:31 am

Dear All,

My apology for being very late. I struggled playing.

Here are my videos.

Warm regards,

Aung

D01-Lesson1-Cordes-A-Vide-Opening-String

http://www.vimeo.com/142765711

D01-Lesson1-Old-Mac-Donald

http://www.vimeo.com/142765714

D01-Lesson1-Au-Clair-De-La-Lune

http://www.vimeo.com/142765713

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:01 pm

Pyit Phyo Aung wrote:Dear All,
Aung
very clear and confident, some slight buzzes but they will go with practice.
I remember struggling with Old McDonald, surprisingly hard.
One thing you could pracice is moving your thumb to the centre of the back of the neck. It will help with finger pressure and if placed behind the 1st and second finger it will help with stretches later. It also helps with a more comfortable wrist position, less strain. Try to keep the left hand knuckles parallel to the strings.
Well done
Colin

Pyit Phyo Aung

Post by Pyit Phyo Aung » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:07 am

Thanks very much for your time and great advice, Colin.

Yes, I keep on making mistakes especially on Old McDonald piece. :) Will practice to correct thumb and left hand's positions.

Cheers,

Aung
Colin Bullock wrote:
Aung
One thing you could pracice is moving your thumb to the centre of the back of the neck. It will help with finger pressure and if placed behind the 1st and second finger it will help with stretches later. It also helps with a more comfortable wrist position, less strain. Try to keep the left hand knuckles parallel to the strings.
Well done
Colin

Z. Quentin

Re: Claire de... video

Post by Z. Quentin » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:27 am

Salvatore Lovinello wrote:I thought it may be useful to post a video of me playing at least one of the assignments so that my technique can be better evaluated.

[media]https://youtu.be/hPvndajiAJ0[/media]

Moderator node: Adjusted students post to embed youtube content
Nice Job! I'm also a beginner and I appreciate being able to see others' videos to help me learn~ Happy practicing to You!

Z. Quentin

Post by Z. Quentin » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:36 am

Colin Bullock wrote:
Aung
Well done
Colin
I am reply eavesdropping, but Thank You for the advice! I will keep this in mind as well~

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:55 pm

Steven Galvin,

You wrote: "count the beats out loud" is right - it's a great bit of advice. I started counting - it's hard on the "and" beat."

I'm sorry I didn't pick this up earlier. When I start a new and unfamiliar song, or any song I'm having a problem with, I often start with a metronome set to very very slow. For example 40 bpm. If the shortest note is an eighth note the eighth note gets one beat of the metronome, a quarter note gets two beats of the metronome, a half note gets 4 beat and so on. As I become proficient I slowly increase my tempo.

So... In the above example, with my shortest note being an eighth note, setting the metronome at 40 bpm my tempo is actually 20 bpm. If I want a target tempo of 80 bpm I set the metronome to 160 bpm.

Sal

Binh Nguyen Khac

Post by Binh Nguyen Khac » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:42 am

Hi, please explaine these symbols to me (on page 6 number 1.)
What do these symbols mean?

1. 1e 2e
2. Number 2 is above a "flower"
3. a line that conects B note to a flower
4. \i above a flower

Thank you.
http://www.upsieutoc.com/image/WEzi

Agnel Joseph Noojibalthila

Post by Agnel Joseph Noojibalthila » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:54 pm

Dear Sir,
I finished my lessons till Lesson 7 in last years class.
But I haven't finished the remaining 3 lessons.
Do I have to enrol and resubmit everything again?
I have finished practising 8 & 9.
I would like to put up my posts and move on to D02.

I know I'm lagging way behind but I don't want to give up on my dream.

Jessica Thomas

Post by Jessica Thomas » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:00 pm

I don't think I'm going to complete these lessons due to a combination of being too busy and general lack of motivation to play guitar. I'm hoping my guitar mojo will come back to me but at the moment I just see it as a chore. I take it I will need to "re-apply" next September if I wish to continue with the course?

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:18 pm

Binh Nguyen Khac wrote:Hi, please explaine these symbols to me (on page 6 number 1.)
What do these symbols mean?

1. 1e 2e
2. Number 2 is above a "flower"
3. a line that conects B note to a flower
4. \i above a flower

Thank you.
http://www.upsieutoc.com/image/WEzi
Hi Binh,

1. From the first post of this lesson:
- The tempo. To measure yourself the time, you count the time aloud, as indicated in the score.
'e' is French for 'and'.

2. - 4. See page 4
- Damp the preceding note with the finger indicated.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:31 pm

Agnel Joseph Noojibalthila wrote:Dear Sir,

If you wish to complete D01 by posting all the required pieces / exercises, you will need to enroll, and study D01 again with this year's class, and record again the required pieces. It is not allowed to resubmit recordings used in previous year. Alternatively you can enroll, and study D02 this year, as there is no obligation to complete the previous levels before beginning to study the next one, as long as you start the next level from the first lesson.

What you cannot do, is to submit your recordings for lessons 8 & 9 at this time of the year, as the previous year lessons are now closed, and we're currently only at lesson 2 with the current school year. In my opinion the best thing for you to do, is to not submit the remaining lessons of D01, and move to D02, trying to catch up with the group.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:49 pm

Jessica Thomas wrote:I don't think I'm going to complete these lessons due to a combination of being too busy and general lack of motivation to play guitar. I'm hoping my guitar mojo will come back to me but at the moment I just see it as a chore. I take it I will need to "re-apply" next September if I wish to continue with the course?
You can re-apply any time during the year, but the September is the "cut-off" point where any recording submissions you've made before it don't count for the next year's exam, the current lessons are locked and archived, and is also the time when most people start studying as a group with the goal of completing at least 7 out of 10 lessons to be eligible to take the exam.

You can take a break now for few months, then try to catch up with the lessons schedule. If you have some experience with other instruments, and especially with guitar (steel string, electric, or nylon), you'll probably won't have much trouble in doing so, at least when speaking of D01 course.

Or you could decide not to care about the exam or feedback from others, and not post your videos, which will enable you to study completely at your own pace, as "an observer" of the lessons.

The third option is to re-apply the next September.

As you haven't posted any recordings, and can re-apply at any time, I will now remove you from the Students' group. You are still welcome to post into the lesson topics, but in order to start submitting your recordings, you will need to re-register yourself at the registration thread first. There will be no need to publicize the lessons again this year, if you decide to re-register. Just let the moderators know in that thread.

I hope you'll find your guitar mojo! :D
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Agnel Joseph Noojibalthila

Post by Agnel Joseph Noojibalthila » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:35 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote:

If you wish to complete D01 by posting all the required pieces / exercises, you will need to enroll, and study D01 again with this year's class, and record again the required pieces. It is not allowed to resubmit recordings used in previous year. Alternatively you can enroll, and study D02 this year, as there is no obligation to complete the previous levels before beginning to study the next one, as long as you start the next level from the first lesson.

What you cannot do, is to submit your recordings for lessons 8 & 9 at this time of the year, as the previous year lessons are now closed, and we're currently only at lesson 2 with the current school year. In my opinion the best thing for you to do, is to not submit the remaining lessons of D01, and move to D02, trying to catch up with the group.
Ok I'll enrol with D02.

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:09 am

Agnel Joseph Noojibalthila wrote:
Marko Räsänen wrote:
Ok I'll enrol with D02.
Ok Agnel -- You are registered, enjoy the D02 lessons.
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”