D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Stephen Jessup

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Stephen Jessup » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:06 pm

Well done Zafar on Oh! Suzanna. Keep up the progress :) I suggest working on the timing a bit and clarity of some notes being played. Well done! :bravo:

John Hughes

Post by John Hughes » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:56 pm

Nathanael, I think you had a nice pace in your videos.

Jeremy Gillard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jeremy Gillard » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:11 pm

Jose Ramon Martinez
Polyphonie:
Everything sounded good. As has been said, you can try to encorporate the dynamics as indicated in the music. One other thing I noticed is it looks like you are not alternating the E whole notes using your i and m fingers. Just something to work on. (If you were not doing that. Hard to tell) Nice job!
Danse Davila:
Good job! Sounded good.
Oh Susanna:
I would suggest slowing down a touch to smooth things out.

Rajesh Dhungel
Polyphonie:
Just make sure you let the notes ring for their proper time values. Some of your whole notes were cut short. And try and watch those dynamics markings! :)
Danse Davila:
Sounded good. The only comment i can make is to try and relax your left hand a bit. It looks very tense to me. When fingers are not fretting strings, they should be loose and not tight.

Edna Lopez
Polyphonie: Some of your strikes of two notes at the same time were a bit off. (one of the notes was coming in slightly before the other) No worries. That's what this exercise concentrates on. Other than that, very nice.
Danse Davila:
Try and follow the i and m markings as indicated. When you are going accross strings you seem to loose your alternation. But it sounded good anyways! :)
Oh Susanna:
Same comment as Danse Davila. Try and follow the i, m and a markings as indicated. I can see you did not use your a (ring finger) at all. It's good to work out all 3 fingers as you will need them going forward.

John Hughes
Polyphonie:
Excellent job. Just don't forget those dynamics markings!
Danse Davila:
Good job. Just keep working it and you will smooth it out. Sounded great.

Nathanael Benassi
Polyphonie:
As has been said, make sure that the strings are in tune. You played it well but your guitar let you down there! :)
Danse Davila:
Nice alternation of your i and m fingers. A few off notes but you were working it well. Nice job.
Oh Susanna:
I would slow it down a bit until your fingers are playing all the right notes in time, then speed it up. Everyone wants to go fast, but going slow with the right notes sounds a lot better.

Stephen Jessup
Danse Davila:
Sounded good. I can see you love left hand muting. That can work on these basic tunes, but will be harder in the future. :)

Zafar Haq
Oh Susanna:
Good work Zafar. I think with more time you will be able to smooth this one out.
It's the player, not the guitar...
But, the guitar helps!!!

Bert Stendahl

Post by Bert Stendahl » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:27 pm

Hi all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never Mind the Bollocks

Stephen Jessup

Post by Stephen Jessup » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:03 pm

Hi Jeremy,yes I realise it will be harder left hand muting once the repertoire gets a little more difficult, and I will certainly be (and am) working on right hand muting :)

Well done Bert on the polyphony exercise, sounded good - good dynamics, even plucking - good job :bravo:

Rajesh Dhungel
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rajesh Dhungel » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:26 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:Hi, Rajesh,
Well done,
All notes played in your study assignment "DANSE D'AVILA",with proper tempo, Rhythm, melody.I already talk about your right hand wrist bend.Good video,audio(slight hiss), lighting,posture. Keep it up.
thanks Mr Haq :merci: :bye:

John Hughes

Post by John Hughes » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:14 am

[media]https://youtu.be/vaa0HcZrrTQ[/media]

Here is my attempt at Oh! Susanna

John Hughes

Post by John Hughes » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:35 am

Zafar Haq wrote:Hi, John Hughes,
Well done.
All notes played.
Good slow tempo, practice rhythm for not mis sync with high and low notes.Good melody on DANSE D'AVILA study assignment.
Good posture,lighting,video audio quality.I'm too practicing for this mis sync problem.My fingers are not sync when playing high and low notes simultaneously.
Forgot to mention,just practice to play loud and soft sounds in study assignment POLYPHONY exercise 1 and 2. :)
Thank you Zafar ! I've been very focused on counting and have been practicing at a very slow tempo . My right hand is really uncoordinated and rest strokes are a great effort.

Warley Lima

Post by Warley Lima » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:09 am

Good morning everyone, I am sending the lesson one.I had a little trouble the lesson: OH! SUSANNA, but I managed to finish it. I'll change the strings of my guitar this weekend, I believe that in the next lessons the sound will be better. Suggestions are always welcome.
Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stephen Jessup

Post by Stephen Jessup » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:18 pm

Hi John, well done on Oh Sussana! You look to me like you are progressing well with rest stroke technique with right hand. Keep up the good work. It will all smooth out more and more as time goes on and with practice :)

Warley, good job! It's always more difficult to tell through a recording, but it all sounded good to me. I thing Danse d'Avila and Oh Sussana need a bit of smoothing out in places, but still sounded good! Keep it up :bravo:

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:34 pm

Hi, Bert Stendahl,
Well done,
All notes played in study assignment "POLYPHONY"part 1 and 2 together.
Good tempo,Rhythm.Good effort in playing dynamic effects.Clear sound.Keep it up.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi, John Hughes ,
Well done.
I like slow tempo melody.Feels good to my ears.
All notes played.Good tempo,rhythm,melody.Good video audio,sound,posture,lighting.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:57 pm

Hi, Warley Lima,
Well done, playing all study assignments.
I notice the following.
1.Microphone is placed too close and recorded sound is strong feel.Try placing it little further.
2.Need to add dynamics effect in study assignment "POLYPHONY" exercise 1 and 2 by playing notes loud and soft shown in the music sheet.
3.You have better control of your both hands, just keep the tempo even.
4.OH! SUSANNA played well.
5. "DANSE D'AVILA" played well. Just watch measure 8 and 19, 1/8th note subdivision,need some attention.

Warley Lima

Post by Warley Lima » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:13 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:Hi, Warley Lima,
Well done, playing all study assignments.
I notice the following.
1.Microphone is placed too close and recorded sound is strong feel.Try placing it little further.
2.Need to add dynamics effect in study assignment "POLYPHONY" exercise 1 and 2 by playing notes loud and soft shown in the music sheet.
3.You have better control of your both hands, just keep the tempo even.
4.OH! SUSANNA played well.
5. "DANSE D'AVILA" played well. Just watch measure 8 and 19, 1/8th note subdivision,need some attention.
Hi Zafar Haq, thanks for attention, follow the advice you gave me.

Warley Lima

Post by Warley Lima » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:18 pm

Stephen Jessup wrote:Hi John, well done on Oh Sussana! You look to me like you are progressing well with rest stroke technique with right hand. Keep up the good work. It will all smooth out more and more as time goes on and with practice :)

Warley, good job! It's always more difficult to tell through a recording, but it all sounded good to me. I thing Danse d'Avila and Oh Sussana need a bit of smoothing out in places, but still sounded good! Keep it up :bravo:
Hi Stephen Jessup, thanks for listening, try to soften in the next lessons.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”