D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Marko Räsänen

Re: Initial thoughts

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:31 am

CarlWestman wrote:On top of that, the x0x21x played at 38 never sounds right on my guitar! I've checked the tuning and it's fine. Perhaps it's because I'm not getting the rhythm right.
It could be caused by uncompensated nut, which causes problems especially with some 3rd strings. When you tune the 3rd open, it will be sharp at the 2nd fret. Just play open 5th and 2nd fret 3rd to see if they sound in unison. If not, you'll have tune the 3rd string slightly flat to compensate for A major / A minor pieces. Using thinner 3rd string (lower tension, or carbon) probably will help with the problem as well.
CarlWestman wrote:Ostinato does not appeal to me. It feels like a colorless technical exercise with until you get to the descending bass of measures 7 and 8. And of course it hurts my pinky finger. The fingering is also challenging on this one, from the extremely challenging reach from G# to E to the difficulty in moving fingers 1, 4, and 3 around in measure 3.
The ostinato is as much an exercise for the right hand as for the left hand. If those stretches seem so difficult for you that you cannot practically play it, I would suggest to put a capo on 2nd fret to reduce the strain for the left hand. The reach shouldn't be extremely challenging, just slightly challenging. You don't want to break your hand!
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:00 pm

I completely agree Carl, this is a hard lesson. I did start on it this summer, though, and I can tell you that the awkward fingerings become easier over time, and I can see the logic on Bretonneuse. Stick with it. The Tarrega study is great for working on that stretch. It comes eventually, though those who have small hands may have difficulty holding that G# for 2 beats.

I cannot do 44c Damping exercise either, but I've put it into my daily warm up to work at it. :reflechir: I tried plucking one finger at a time first: p-m, i-a keeping the others on the strings until I could get the tactile feel of it, then tried plucking pm, ia together. That helped a little, but still difficult.

Here are my offerings. A little slow on Bretonneuse. A few wrong notes on Ostinato, but I nailed the stretch! after much agony:

[media]https://youtu.be/rSxerNio9gY[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/XolEiNiFfvE[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/RLFUFtukVKk[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/Ofnep7ke1jM[/media]
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:24 pm

Hi Rick! I need to step away from the computer so I will listen to your postings another time. But I appreciate your feedback, and I wanted to quickly share that I too thought of getting that 44c in by playing the notes sequentially at first, then try to gradually shorten the time between then to the point they're being played simultaneously. Not that I got far doing that, but it seemed to me a decent approach. It seemed to be the only option I could think of that would keep my other fingers muting the other strings.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:42 pm

In my opinion it's also very important to try to relax the right hand as soon as you feel any tension building up. The muscles flexing 'm' and 'a' fingers share a tendon, and therefore flexing 'a' finger from the middle joint will flex 'm' finger as well, unless the motion is stopped by the use of (opposing) 'm' finger extensor muscle. That means the flexor and extensor of the 'm' finger will be fighting against each other, which will create tension into the hand. The trick is in learning to relax the extensor muscles as soon as they're not needed to keep the finger still. It takes practice, but keeping the hand as relaxed as possible will help. So does practicing m-a alternation.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:15 am

For the 44c, you might try this to get comfortable with the exercise as mentioned.
I'd call this approach the: "snap your fingers prep" :-)

Before executing 44c, do a quick finger snapping exercise slowly (steps 1 & 2)
1) Hold up your strumming/plucking hand in front of you--thumb-side facing you, pinky facing the ground--and put your p and m fingers together in preparation to "snap-your-fingers". Do this as you would to snap-your-fingers in a traditional way, but just use p and m.
2) Snap the p and m fingers very slowly several times and pay attention to how the thumb and middle finger move and the X shape they make in your hand after snapping the fingers
3) Per exercise 44c, plant the 4 fingers (p i m a) accordingly, place a slight bit of pressure/weight from the i and a fingers onto their planted strings, but lighten up the pressure/weight of the thumb and middle fingers just a bit.
4) Remember the finger motion from snapping the p and m finger and the X shape they make, now try to perform the same motion and set the two strings into motion while i and a continue to mute their strings for two counts
5) Use i and a to set their two strings into motion and immediately afterwards, plant p and m onto their strings to mute for two counts
Repeat step 4 & 5 -- very very slow to build the muscle memory
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:49 pm

John Montes wrote:For the 44c, you might try this to get comfortable with the exercise as mentioned.
I'd call this approach the: "snap your fingers prep" :-)
Thanks John, I'll give this a try.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:32 pm

Rick, your recordings are so great and so quick!!!
I have also had trouble with the 44c :?
Duang

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:09 am

Rick, you are very quick!
The recordings are very good! Especially the 2 pieces: Estudio ostinato, en la mayor Bretonneuse are very well played.

:bravo:

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:14 am

Thanks Haris and Duang. As I mentioned in my post, I have been working on the archived D04 lessons this summer, so not that quick, I assure you. But thanks for the comments. I am up to L3 now. Some great pieces to come! And hard ones. I originally thought I could finish D04 over summer and move on to D05, but I had a lot going on and ran out off time. I also think I am catching up with my level and finding it harder and harder. I think I'll just stick with this level. I hope my experience so far can be if use to you all.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:31 am

:bravo: Rick. Very good start.
Rick Beauregard wrote:Thanks Haris and Duang. As I mentioned in my post, I have been working on the archived D04 lessons this summer...
I am up to L3 now. Some great pieces to come! And hard ones. I originally thought I could finish D04 over summer and move on to D05, but I had a lot going on and ran out off time. I also think I am catching up with my level and finding it harder and harder. I think I'll just stick with this level....
I think you do not need to hurry. I think it is useful to better and fully mastered each lesson then as soon come to an end.
I think it's better to go back on L01 and doing a little more on Tarrega. To try to frame a bit, accelerate. It is, after all, an excellent exercise for the little finger of his left hand.
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:38 am

Rick Beauregard wrote:As I mentioned in my post, I have been working on the archived D04 lessons this summer

That is good to know, now I feel less retard :lol:

MauricioMedeiros

Post by MauricioMedeiros » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:25 pm

I will listen with more attention to your videos and give some feedback still this week, sorry for delaying it. I spent the last 4 days driving my brother in law around Belgium, and had no time for guitar playing... But I will catch up!

Here are (almost all) my recordings for this lesson. Had to do them in a rush with little training, so they are not very good, but I believe it is enough for some feedback. And luckily I still have most of the month to improve upon it :)

DELCAMP, Terminer - Fermare - Damp - Apagar (level 4)
[media]https://youtu.be/EBIB9pW8Wso[/media]

TARREGA, Estudio Ostinato (en la mayor)
[media]https://youtu.be/6WD6v96F7xE[/media]

FORET, Bretonneuse
[media]https://youtu.be/hEk8bXfYUY0[/media]

Mauricio

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:32 pm

Mauricio congratulations for your recordings! Very good sound, quick tempo, flawless playing.

Only, could you include your right hand in the video?

:bravo:

MauricioMedeiros

Post by MauricioMedeiros » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:55 pm

Haris, thanks for the kind words.

About the right hand, sure I can, just need to find some way to set up my iPhone... So far it is resting in front of the sheet music, and that does not allow much "fine tuning" :)

I am looking for some way to get better angles. I intend to do another set of videos of these music/exercises before next lessons are posted here. Probably by then I will have it sorted out.

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:09 pm

:bravo: Very nice Mauricio. Accurate and good tempo on Bretonneuse, and especially your use of dynamics and varying the timbre. My only suggestions, based on my personal preferences: try a little less choppy and little more legato on articulating the notes. Maybe slightly, slightly slower so as not to appear too rushed. Also, try ending on forte rather than piano, maybe alternating where you go soft and loud.

The Ostinato was great.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”