D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
ChrisCapener

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by ChrisCapener » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:53 am

Hi Eric,

Your Vaghe belleze et blonde treccie d'oro was very well played . I think this is the only piece where you had to look at your left hand !

The Melodie de Sor was not overpowered by the arpeggio, the listener could truly enjoy the melody and I can hear the notes where I was going wrong.

Thanks for ‘bonus’ posting of the exercises, I confess I didn’t try them but you have inspired me to try

:bravo: :merci:

ChrisCapener

Post by ChrisCapener » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:10 am

Thanks for your feedback John, here is the missing exercise

Regards to all

Moderator note: The students submission was moved to here where part #1 of the exercise and all other submissions are located

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:09 am

Good job, Eric :bravo:

I especially enjoyed the Sor piece (the one actually written by him). I was hoping to record it, as well as Sanz prelude, before the lesson is over, but have been too busy to do that. Still a couple of days left though.

I find the Sanz piece very difficult to interpret (we talked about it couple of years ago). I can hear that you concentrated on the bass note melody, but kept a steady tempo, and very little dynamics, so it ended up a bit bland. Not that I can do any better! I've tried all kinds of approaches with it: playing the chords as fast rolls while keeping some kind of steady tempo with the in-between bass notes, playing with equal note duration as you did emphasizing the bass and trying to build up speed, using extensive rubato and dynamics, etc. But so far none of the approaches have been really satisfying.

For Campanella I have found the i-m centered fingering (not surprisingly) much faster and easier than the one revolving around m-a alternation, but I do my practice with the latter.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:58 pm

Hi Chris :bravo: You have said it all :chaud: :bye:

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:02 pm

Hi Eric,I liked the search for interpretation of Sor 35-8 :bravo: :bye:

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:49 am

Eric de Vries wrote:The end of lesson 1 is near, so I took a sprint this evening. Yesterday I posted Vaghe belezze, now Melodia is here (without repeats). As a bonus I recorded Sor's Exercise N0.8, De Fossa's Campanella and Sanz's Caprichio.
Hi Eric,

I finally had some time to write more detailed notes, it's been a busy week and weekend. Thanks for sharing.

Vaghe -- Nicely done overall Eric, the only areas that stuck out critique-wise are measures 18 & 20.
m18- the second B note voice to sound the E5th harmony was missing in the first round and repeat section.
m20-The opening D-chord sounds like the half-barred treble voices are sounded but the bass voices (DAD) are not detected.

Melodia de Sor -- Nicely done overall. The only areas that stuck out critique-wise are measures 2, 10 & 30.
m2-The bass line was very quiet, not audible, perhaps pppp or ppppp.
m10-Just some bumpy note arpeggiations in the measure
m30-similar bumps as m10

Thanks for sharing the uploads for the other pieces, I enjoyed listening to them.

I actually have an older Mel Bay Tarrega Folio with about 10 pieces and one of them is labled Prelude in D minor. It is an exact mirror-image of the Fossa piece in the D05 book. It's made me want to research that piece in a little more detail to see if Mel Bay publishing has a discrepancy or if the Delcamp D05 workbook has an attribution error.
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Håvard.Bergene
Student of the online lessons

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:30 am

Hi all. :merci: for valuable feedback, and sorry for not participating last week.
:bravo: Mauricio, John, Stewart, Satyajit, Giuseppe and Eric.
You all got comments already, and I don't want to go into details already covered. I listened to all your recordings while working, and enjoyed it :casque:
Alhambra 11P

EricKatz

Post by EricKatz » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:35 pm

John, Chris, Marko, Giuseppe and Havard, thanks for all the compliments and the usefull feedback on the 5 pieces! :merci:

Here are the two technical exercises (speed exercise 105-106 and damping exercise 43-47).

[media]https://youtu.be/Zz_Akohj_7k[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/SkUfkuso9p8[/media]

EricKatz

Post by EricKatz » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:39 am

John Montes wrote:I actually have an older Mel Bay Tarrega Folio with about 10 pieces and one of them is labled Prelude in D minor. It is an exact mirror-image of the Fossa piece in the D05 book. It's made me want to research that piece in a little more detail to see if Mel Bay publishing has a discrepancy or if the Delcamp D05 workbook has an attribution error.
The famous Tarrega biographer Wolf Moser in his "Francisco Tarrega, Werden und Wirkung. Die Gitarre in Spanien zwischen 1830 und 1960" points out that many editions have made a mess out off names, numbers/titles and originality of Tarrega's works. He suggests "to purify all new editions of selected or complete works of pieces that since decades are known as works by other guitarists - Damas' Scherzo or the campanela-variation from Op.12 by De Fossa." (p. 237).

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:49 am

Damping
[media]https://youtu.be/kF76xWrPOzU[/media]

Speed exercise
[media]https://youtu.be/6YU_Kg1D4ns[/media]

Vaghe belleze et blonde treccie d'oro
[media]https://youtu.be/ftrE-9wUe_8[/media]

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:32 pm

I had a chance to record tonight, so here are the remaining pieces of the lesson. I think they all would have benefited from an additional week of practice, or more.

[media]https://youtu.be/6pVTc-OMlKM[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/SfOtWYVu32Y[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/JtfmKR52xxY[/media]
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:54 am

Hi Marko,It is still a good job and the pieces do not lend themselves to many variations :bravo: :bye:

Satyajit Kadle

Post by Satyajit Kadle » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:32 pm

In the Sor, the triplet slur has to be played with just one stroke of the right hand. Is this assumption correct? So hammer-on/pulloff pinky of left hand and pull off the index finger too while the right hand strikes just once?

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:39 pm

Satyajit Kadle wrote:In the Sor, the triplet slur has to be played with just one stroke of the right hand. Is this assumption correct? So hammer-on/pulloff pinky of left hand and pull off the index finger too while the right hand strikes just once?
Right, except that there is no hammer on. b is played normally, followed by pull-off of pinky, followed by pull-off of index finger.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:40 pm

:merci: Giuseppe!
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”