D04 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D04 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:51 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D04.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- page 111 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) EXTENSIONS
Play this left-hand exercise trying to leave your fingers in place on the strings as long as you can, as I show you in the following video. If the stretches between your fingers feel too much for you, you can make it easier for the left hand by using a capo so that you play on the higher frets which are closer together and your fingers will not have to stretch so far apart. Avoid bending your left wrist, as this not only hurts, but also hinders the mobility of your fingers. Aim for the position (of the guitar neck, your elbow and your shoulder) which will allow you to play without bending your left wrist, as shown in the following video. You will be able to play this exercise more effectively if you place your left thumb below your ring finger, i.e. below the third fret.

Improvisation work - D04
- pages 127-128
These exercises in improvisation are to be done several times a week, for several months.
Vary the volume (mf, pp, ff, p ...), timbres and rhythms. Never play the same thing twice, because it would cease to be improvisation, and would become composition.
1/ improvise on a single note (A) for 20 seconds.

2/ improvise using only two notes (G - A) for 20 seconds.

3/ improvise using only three notes (G - A - B) for 20 seconds

4/ improvise using only four notes (D - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.

5/ improvise using only 5 notes (D - E - G - A - B) for 20 seconds.

6/ improvise using only 6 notes (D - E - G - A - B - C) for 20 seconds.

7/ improvise using only 7 notes ((D - E - F - G - A - B - C) for 20 seconds.

Finally, we'll look at 4 pieces, pages 24, 30, 64, 68, 69 and 92.
- page 24 Anonyme - The sick tune
This piece is made up of phrases of 4 bars. The second and fourth phrases are divisions on the first and third phrases [i.e. embellished repetitions of those phrases using notes of shorter duration]. The third string is tuned down a semitone, so that the guitar tuning corresponds to that of the Renaissance lute for which this piece was composed.

- page 30 Losy, Jan Antonín - Capriccio, en la mineur
There are three beats to the bar, and the classical harmonic rhythm is that of one harmony per bar. At the end of each of the two sections of the Capriccio, the harmonic rhythm changes to the length of a half note (minim) and thus we get 3 harmonies (3 chords) in 2 bars, this change being known as a hemiola. A hemiola consists of the insertion of a triple rhythm into a duple rhythm, or conversely of a duple rhythm into a triple rhythm. The hemiola is used at the conclusion of the two sections of the dances of the Renaissance and Baroque period. In my PDFs I indicate the presence of hemiolas by dotted lines above the bars.

- page 64 Giuliani, Mauro - Valse opus 58 n°3
In this waltz, each phrase begins with an upbeat (or anacrusis) on the third beat. The ascending octaves and the use of dotted notes in the rhythm (dotted eighth note/quaver followed by sixteenth note/semiquaver) give this waltz a very lively feel.

- page 68, 69 Carcassi, Matteo - Valse opus 11 n°9
This waltz is made up of contrasting elements. The first section is played pianissimo, and the melody is in the bass. The second section begins forte. In the third section the melody is in the upper part, and is played with rest stroke (apoyando), the accompaniment being played with free stroke (tirando). On the second page, the crossed lines are an indication not to slide the fingers along the fourth string, so as not to cause unwanted noise.

- page 92 Tárrega, Francisco - Andantino, en la mayor
Bar 15 is particularly difficult. In order to play this succession of thirds successfully, leave your fingers on the strings and slide them from one position to another, as I show you in this video, where I play bar 15 slowly and then faster.

When you start working on a new piece, start by working very slowly, concentrating on precision. The essential thing is that you should play the music perfectly, that your rhythm should be precise, your sound well controlled, and your playing musical and expressive.
Speed will come with your new skills acquired in time through work. You should not worry about speed when tackling a new piece. At the beginning, such a preoccupation would only hinder you in your progress. It is only once you have mastered the piece within the comfort of a slow tempo, that you can start to think about playing progressively faster until finally you reach the right tempo.

The work I'm asking of you is difficult and requires you to be both organized and disciplined. It is certain that you will struggle to get your fingers to perform the exact movements required for the exercises. In order to succeed in this, you need to make the same movements several dozen times daily. The goal of these exercises is to strengthen and stretch your finger muscles, to make your fingers stronger and more agile. Put in plenty of work, every day, on the difficult parts, focus on them and play the easy parts only occasionally.
To get the best out of your practice time, split it up into 15 minute sessions, and leave your hands to rest for at least 30 minutes between sessions. If your hands hurt, leave them to rest for an hour, the time it takes your body to eliminate the lactic acid in your muscles, which is the main cause of muscle pain.

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 127 Delcamp, Jean-François Improvisation - 4/ Improvise using only 4 notes (D G A B) for 20 seconds.
- page 24 Anonyme - The sick tune
- page 64 Giuliani, Mauro - Valse opus 58 n°3
- page 92 Tárrega, Francisco - Andantino, en la mayor

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

Improvisation - 4/
The sick tune
Valse opus 58 n°3
Andantino, en la mayor

Rick Beauregard
Improvisation - 4/
The sick tune
Valse opus 58 n°3
Andantino, en la mayor

Duang Turongratanachai
Improvisation - 4/
The sick tune
Valse opus 58 n°3
Andantino, en la mayor

Haris Karachristianidis
Improvisation - 4/
The sick tune
Valse opus 58 n°3
Andantino, en la mayor

EmmanuelVankerschaver
Andantino, en la mayor
:( + ♫ = :)

Haris Karachristianidis

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:22 pm

New pieces, some of them very nice and new challenges!

I have one question about Jan Antonin Losy - Capriccio: In measure 22 we have to keep finger 4 on d for the whole measure till d of next measure. Should we just keep the position (but release pressure) till next d without letting it sound more than its value?

Thank you!

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:31 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:Should we just keep the position (but release pressure) till next d without letting it sound more than its value?
Yes, exactly!
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:13 pm

Thank you Marko!

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:04 pm

This is probably the most challenge lesson for me so far in terms of simply the volume of music to learn for the month, let alone playing the music well. I worked on these this summer. Capriccio is tough to play at tempo, but still a beautiful piece played slower. I never got bored with it. I'll try to get it more to tempo. The Sick Tune is also a nice piece with some challenging fingerings and nice harmonies. My challenge on this one was damping. I had a hard time with VALSE Opus 58 getting the notes clean in measures 2 and 4. Also I never got it up to 144. 109 is my personal best so far with any accuracy at all. I'll work on getting it up there. I didn't spend a lot time on the Carcassi VALSE. I need to revisit that. The Tarrega ANDANTINO is a nice little piece. The main challenge I had was the boxed section (of course) and getting those upper fret notes clean. Practice that a lot. Nice little study.

Here are my videos of the assigned pieces. I am in the middle of moving so I may not get to recording these again, but I will try in a few weeks maybe.

[media]https://youtu.be/WChsp8hIHPg[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/O7UmPwv2XXw[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/5fVG13BMF-E[/media]
[media]https://youtu.be/jz3EGe_bOX8[/media]
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:12 pm

Rick, you are very fast, I can not comment yet because I have not seen most of the pieces. I will comment soon.
Last edited by Haris Karachristianidis on Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:53 pm

Haris Karachristianidis wrote:Rick, you are very fast, I can not comment yet because I have not seen most of the prices. I will comment soon.
Rick Beauregard wrote: I worked on these this summer.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:47 am

Yes, Rick, I remember that from lesson 1. I meant you are very fast at posting. :D
I wish I had practised D04 in Summer because I see that this years lessons are quite demanding.

I can only comment on the Sick Tune, which I like very much and you play it beautifuly! :casque:
Very nice interpetation, you color the piece and you change the timbre. Also nice tempo.

I play mostly Sick Tune and Capricio till now because I like them! Capricio has one small difficulty which I have to overcome: when I play with finger 3 or 4 on the d string I often accidentally damp the melody on g string. I have to learn to position my fingers more vertically...

:bravo:

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:03 pm

Aha, Haris, yes I have the same issue and need to work on more curvature of the fingers to avoid this. I also have some damping issues in spots. I was playing some of the notes with my thumb, and not able to damp the notes because the eighth notes were too fast. So I am in the process of changing my right hand fingering to play these couple passages with i-m instead of p. For example measures 10 and 13. I play the first part of the scale (A, G) with m and I, then the F and E with p. That way p has time to damp the open A string. changing to p also provides a little more dramatic feel. Having done work on these this summer I can now spend time on fine tuning, which is seldom possible going month to month.

I always try the pieces with the fingerings provided. But then, after I've learned the piece, I experiment with different fingerings. Sometimes I find an easier way, or a way on a higher fret where it sounds sweeter, when appropriate. I don't change things if it looks like Prof Delcamp is going for a particular technical point or development, like the G# stretch in Ostinato. Sometimes my fingerings stick, other times and often I end up going back to the original suggestions because I find it is better once played to tempo.

I made a few changes to VALSE Opus 58 No 3. In measure 7, I use 2-3 instead of the suggested 4-3 on the D-B and E-C# chords, sliding up on 2. Likewise on the way down in measure 8. This works nicely to just go to 3-2-1 on the E chord in measure 8, and making 4 available for A 5th fret in the next chord. Also in measures 10, 11, 12 and 13, I use 2-4 on the D-B chord instead of 3-4. This sets up nicely for the chord in measure 14 without a fingering change, though it may make the stretch to the bass note slightly more difficult. Finally, one last change I am still not sure about. I play the last B note on the open string instead of on the second string. It just works smoother for me. But I use both.

Let me know what you think and if I am missing something with these changes.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:38 am

Rick Beauregard wrote:Aha, Haris, yes I have the same issue and need to work on more curvature of the fingers to avoid this. I also have some damping issues in spots. I was playing some of the notes with my thumb, and not able to damp the notes because the eighth notes were too fast. So I am in the process of changing my right hand fingering to play these couple passages with i-m instead of p. For example measures 10 and 13. I play the first part of the scale (A, G) with m and I, then the F and E with p. That way p has time to damp the open A string. changing to p also provides a little more dramatic feel. Having done work on these this summer I can now spend time on fine tuning, which is seldom possible going month to month.

I try to learn to dump the upper bass string with the back of my thumb simultaneously as I play the lower bass string. But it needs precision and I don't know if I manage to record this way.
Also I dump basses in 2 cases with unused fingers for fretting of the left hand. When I return home I post which these measures are.

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:42 pm

Hi
Here are my submission for lesson 02. Thank you for listening :D
Duang

[media]https://youtu.be/0zSFviB5l_M[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/p7d2yr7yr2E[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/1L1V-eMzWxw[/media]

[media]https://youtu.be/igDKZMxmM9A[/media]

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:56 am

Congratulations for getting through this difficult lesson Duang. You worked hard on this and it shows.

Sick Tune: Almost perfectly executed in terms of getting the notes correct. You maybe missed the low E in measure 8. With practice you can then work on adding some different timbres and varying the dynamics. As far as technique, I notice your left wrist turns occasionally and your little finger is far from the fret board. This is a common bad habit and makes reaching some notes more difficult. Study the correct left hand position and work on that. You can use chromatic scales to help train your hand to stay in the correct position. If I mentioned this before, sorry :desole: , but I will keep reminding you anyway! :D

Tarrega Andantino: Again, notes almost perfect. I think you added an extra eighth note in measure 15 before the difficult thirds. But otherwise very good. Needs a little quicker tempo. Practice those thirds above the 12th fret over and over again to get the speed up. Also, I couldn't tell if you were damping the basses, though they sounded fine. You may have been damping with the back of your thumb, which is fine if needed. But it is easier with the thumb once you get the hang of it. Turning the thumb to damp with the back of the hand, which I do at times, sometimes takes my hand out of position.

Giuliani Valse: Very nicely done. This piece took me forever, a lot of practice. I think you know it so now you just need to work on tempo and a little more festive feeling.

Your improvisation was very nice.

A difficult lesson! Lots to learn. Did you work at all on Capriccio or the Carcassi Valse? I am getting close to being able to record those, but I am moving this week from California to Northern Washington and may not get around to it for a while. I really like the Capriccio, sort of an early exercise for Bach in the future. The Valse is a good exercise.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Duang Turongratanachai

Post by Duang Turongratanachai » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:37 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
As far as technique, I notice your left wrist turns occasionally and your little finger is far from the fret board. This is a common bad habit and makes reaching some notes more difficult. Study the correct left hand position and work on that. You can use chromatic scales to help train your hand to stay in the correct position. If I mentioned this before, sorry :desole: , but I will keep reminding you anyway! :D
Thank you very much Rick for your comment. Please do keep on reminding me :D because I always keep on forgetting :oops:
I have not worked on the other pieces but they are on my "list to practice" which I think I would end up with a very long list :lol:

:merci:
Duang

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:07 pm

Rick,
Your Valse is very good! My only comment is some dampings I think you did not in measures 7,8.
Andantino is also very good! Nice dampings.
I like especially the way you color the pieces: small tempo changes, small breaks and different timbre.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:19 pm

Duang,
You play all pieces very nicely!
I think you need only a little effort to increase a little the tempo and avoid some hesitations in some more difficult parts.
I like very much the sound you produce, I think you have found the perfect nails shape for your fingers and you have a correct right hand technique.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”