D05 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Marko Räsänen

Re: D05 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:18 pm

Eric de Vries wrote:
Eric de Vries wrote:I see people making glissando's in renaissance pieces, etc. etc.
I'm talking about glissando's, not about slurs.
Sorry, I thought you were talking about etc. etc. :mrgreen:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

ChrisCapener

Post by ChrisCapener » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:30 am

Eric,

Well done and thank you for your postings. I wish I could achieve the mood you create , relaxed and fluid yet focused. I am still too tense and concerned about mistakes -which of course just means you make more of them.

Her's my first offering, so far I have focussed only on this to try and get as good a result as possible, but I am pleased to be moving on to the other piece now :)

[media]https://youtu.be/DRJ1ZDYddW4[/media]

:merci: :bye:

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:02 am

Nice effort Chris, this is a piece that has a mix of technique areas that get exercised:
scales, string damping resonances, slurs, slides/glissando, trills, and harmonics

I'm still working on getting my version ready for recording/submission, but here's a few items for feedback on your video.

The transitions in m8 & m9, m26 & m27 are a little bumpy and missing some of the middle and lower voice notes inter-mingled in the scalar passages.

Watch out for some of the dissonant guitar resonances that can ring out during the runs in m1 & m2 and other places. During the first pass its better. On the repeat of the A section of m1 & m2 the resonances are more detect-able. The palm-side of the hand can help dampen those resonances while the im fingers play the scales.

In m16 the opening slur is b# to c versus d# to e.

The arpeggios in m24 are played with more of a stacatto-like attack versus bouncy and legato using the indicated slurs.
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:41 am

Hi Chris,Bravo on the job is set up, you just improve it :bravo: , the only doubt is left hand, I recommend this video :contrat: :bye:

Moderator edit: The video can be found in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=95839

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:55 am

Happy Birthday, Eric! :delcamp_fiesta: :smorfia: :ivresse:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:34 pm

Happy Birthday :ivresse: :ivresse: Eric :bye:

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:39 am

:applauso: Cheers and Happy Birthday Sir Eric de Fries of the nobility :-)

Here Here and a raised pint :ivresse:
2015 Cordoba Solista

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:23 pm

:bravo: Eric, and congratulations :mouton:
I enjoyed listening :casque:. They are all very good 1. week recordings (I know you know the pieces already;-) Are you moving on to the next lession, or might we expect a polished version of one(/more) of the pieces before the end of lesson 02?

:bravo: Chris. Keep it up! You have most of the individual phrases under control, with a bit of hesitation in between. Did you memorize it? I suggest working through the piece 2 phrases at a time (x reps.), focusing on keeping the right rhythm in the transition between the phrases (see Marko's comment to Eric). Of course spending most time on the phrases you find most difficult :guitare:
Alhambra 11P

EricKatz

Post by EricKatz » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:18 pm

Thanks Marko, Giuseppe, John and Havard for your kind birthday wishes!
Håvard.Bergene wrote: might we expect a polished version of one(/more) of the pieces before the end of lesson 02?
I hope so

ChrisCapener

Post by ChrisCapener » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:14 pm

John - Thanks for the comments, I agree with your points. I knew I made some of those mistakes but had already tried loads of 'takes' :lol:

Belated Congrats to Eric !

Giuseppe -thanks for the video link, I'm going to watch it tonight.

Hi Havarde - yes I had memorised it , nearly :D

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:05 pm

Unfortunately I will not be able to record this week (not even touch a guitar) :( .
Alhambra 11P

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:22 am

Well, I finally got some time to record and have some videos ready

The Tarrega recording turned out better than the Luis de Narvaez.

I couldn't seem to get a clean take of the Narvaez from beginning to end. I had practiced all the parts, spent extra time on areas that gave me trouble, and had a final run in practice that was pretty good. I get to recording time and then there'd always be one spot somewhere that would make me cringe :ride:

Tarrega piece
[media]https://youtu.be/D_JwT9tvoN4[/media]

Guardame las vacas
-There's an incorrect note played at about 0:46 of measure 20, it should end on a low E, flubbed that one :nerveux:
[media]https://youtu.be/sjYDEXVWA90[/media]
2015 Cordoba Solista

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:03 am

Hi John,

Great submissions, very enjoyable to listen to! :bravo:

I thought you especially did a good job with Narvaez! I must confess that I wouldn't have noticed the wrong note at 0:46 if you hadn't mentioned it, as it was harmonically ok. The only other place where you stumbled was the scale run in m. 29-30. I agree that it's a difficult piece to get 100% right and clean. You probably still need some practice with chords starting at m. 33, as you slowed down significantly for that final part, unless you did that on purpose?

With Tarrega study, I didn't get that minuet feel, mostly because of the way you phrased it (e.g. in measure 2 you had a long break between the first and second beats, making the first line 2 phrases instead of one; and similarly for the 2nd line, etc.).

In m. 7 I think you play the last note as b instead of a#. Measure 8 sounds rhythmically a bit odd, because you give the grace note full 16th note duration, making the measure one / 16th note longer. The problem is even worse in m. 26, where I think there's some hesitation after the grace note. It sounds quite off to me.

Having said that, you nailed all the difficult parts, and those few issues I noticed should be easy to fix. :bravo:

One additional tip for m. 14. You can play the 2nd beat chord without changing position, by playing g# at 4th string, like it's notated.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Giuseppe Gasparini

Post by Giuseppe Gasparini » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:23 am

Hi John,Guardame las vacas I liked it a lot, :casque: in the minuet, I think the breaks between sentences, too much long :bravo: :bye:

Stewart Doyle

Post by Stewart Doyle » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:51 pm

Hi everyone, and even more belated birthday greetings to Eric.

I've got to the point in the week where other commitments mean I won't get chance to record anything until the weekend, although I should be able to manage some short practice sessions. In the interim I thought I should see how others were getting on. So far I've just listened to your Tarrega pieces.
I saw the timing of your video Eric and was amazed, until I realised that you had omitted the repeats. I'm not sure if it was deliberate? I find it useful to keep the repeats as it makes it easier to spot where an error is consistent and when it's just an odd mistake. (As someone who makes lots of mistakes, it's great to have another chance to show you can play it really - when no one is watching! :) )
I then saw John's video and assumed he'd omitted the repeats too. No, just played at an impressive tempo!
Chris, I appreciated your comment earlier about the value of seeing a range of abilities and speeds. I suspect when I do get round to recording, my tempo may be useful to those wanting to hear it a little slower....
Sorry, I'm already out of time, but :bravo: to all three of you!

Stewart

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”