[PDF] Kenyon, Stephen - Song for Alison

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

[PDF] Kenyon, Stephen - Song for Alison

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:43 pm

I am very pleased to present to you my piece "Song for Alison". Some may recall the thread a few weeks ago;
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=117174
Well, in the end I wrote something and Bill (Intune) was kind enough to approve of it.
I wanted to keep it to two pages, so its a bit cramped.
Here is the score for A4 pages;
Song4Alison A4.pdf
And here it is for US letter pages;
Song4Alison US letter.pdf
Engraved in Graphire Music Press.

For the video please go here;
viewtopic.php?f=116&t=119392

A few words about the piece. Bill had specified the key and the tuning and the general mood. He also wanted it to be three minutes long ... :oops:
The main theme - Nobilmente - came to me while driving, and survived the perils of memory well enough, though the games I thought of playing with it while driving about (inversion etc) didn't in the end get included. Well that did but not simultaneously.
I had asked Bill for any special musical favourites they shared, and he sent a huge list - I was tickled that it included the Mozart Dies Irae which just might have crept in a bit at one point. Others deliberately placed I will leave, as I did for Bill and Alison, as Easter Eggs for you (kinda topical there now in writing this).
The writing process was quite protracted and Bill made several very useful suggestions and quietly pushed it into the shape its in now; all its remaining faults are of course mine. But I'm sure I've never tweaked and fiddled and tweaked again anything remotely as much as this before!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

Adrian Allan

Re: [PDF] Kenyon, Stephen - Song for Alison

Post by Adrian Allan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:26 pm

Nice piece and playing

On the score, what does "polp" stand for? Not heard of that one before.

Graphire Music Press - not heard of that, will have to see it offers any advantage over Sibelius.

I note that you prefer to use tenuto lines instead of accents, which is interesting. The whole idea of tenuto (I notice you also have a "ten") has to be one of the most ambiguous things in scoring.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: [PDF] Kenyon, Stephen - Song for Alison

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:15 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:26 pm
Nice piece and playing
On the score, what does "polp" stand for? Not heard of that one before.
Graphire Music Press - not heard of that, will have to see it offers any advantage over Sibelius.
I note that you prefer to use tenuto lines instead of accents, which is interesting. The whole idea of tenuto (I notice you also have a "ten") has to be one of the most ambiguous things in scoring.
Polp = with the flesh, though I notice its not a very literal translation. Thanks for pointing it out, there's always something!
GMP is unlikely to offer any advantages other than nicer font. It's just a scoring system and has not been worked on for about 18 years.
Yes the triply ambiguous tenuto! - well it seemed those places did not quite warrant the additional strength implied by an > accent plus the fractional wait as well as weight seemed right.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”