[PDF] Anon. - Adew Dundee

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
Frank Nordberg

[PDF] Anon. - Adew Dundee

Post by Frank Nordberg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:37 am

[Edit 03-02-2013: uploaded a new version with some corrections to the text (not the music), and moved the tablature file to the tab section of the board]

Here's my arrangement of an absolutely stunningly beautiful Scottish early 17th century tune.

Without tablature:
adew-dundie-gtr.pdf
With tablature:
viewtopic.php?f=103&t=75077

Both versions take up two pages but the one without is of course less cramped. Oh, I've also included lyrics to the tune - not original ones (they're long lost if there ever were any) but some 19th century verses written for the tune.

As usual, any kind of feedback is highly appreciated!

Description:
If there was a prize for the tune with the maximum amount of music with the fewest possible notes, “Adew Dundee” would have been a strong candidate.

The earliest known source of the tune is the “Skene manuscript”, a Scottish collection of music for baroque mandola dating back to c. 1620. It was first published more than 200 years later (in 1848 or 1849) in G. Farquhar Graham’s “Popular Songs of Scotland with their appropriate melodies”. Farquar Graham’s version was arranged for voice and piano with newly written lyrics by Lord Charles Neaves (1800-1867). There may have been original lyrics to the tune but if so, they are long lost.

The tune was first brought to my attention by Jack Campin (http://www.campin.me.uk/) who has an amazing ability to find beautiful tunes like this. Jack recommends a tempo of about 56 bars per minute which sound good although I personally prefer it a little bit slower.

The theme in this guitar version follows Jack’s transcription of the Skene manuscript fairly closely. The changes I have made is to translate it into modern notation (the original is in tablature), transpose it to a range suitable for the guitar and add some extra basses notes (the ones in parentheses) and the fingering indications.

The variation is from an anonymous abc file I found at the abc notation web site (http://abcnotation.com/) I’m not sure if it too is from the Skene manuscript but Rob MacKillop, one of the world’s foremost experts on 17th century Scottish stringed instruments music, included it in his lute transcription (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGKakTaYF1Y). I have added some extra bass notes to the variation (the ones notated in parentheses). The abc file includes a note suggesting the eight notes should be played in a dotted rhythm. Not sure if that’s a good idea but it would be in style so please feel free to do so if you like.

The capo indication is to bring the tune back to the original key. It will still be an octave below the original though. The exact pitch and key of the tune isn’t that important for a piece like this anyway, so unless you play it with others, it’s up to you whether you choose to use a capo or not. Personally I prefer to use a capo, not on the fifth fret but as high as I can (around 8th fret, depending on the guitar) to get the brightest possible sound.

Btw, here is Rob's lute transcription. It's not identical to mine but very close:

[media]https://youtu.be/NGKakTaYF1Y[/media]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by George Crocket on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Corrupted file replaced

herb

Re: [PDF] Anon. - Adew Dundee (arr.: Nordberg, Frank)

Post by herb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:23 am

Thank you, Frank, for another interesting piece. My guitar has been "put to bed" for the evening, but I will enjoy playing the downloaded non-TAB version tomorrow. My guitar teacher teases me about my liking for Irish and Scottish tunes, but I find these make a nice break from my usual lesson selections. The background information is, as always, appreciated.
Herb

Frank Nordberg

Post by Frank Nordberg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:54 am

herb wrote:My guitar teacher teases me about my liking for Irish and Scottish tunes, but I find these make a nice break from my usual lesson selections. The background information is, as always, appreciated.
Herb
Irish and Scottish? I'll see what I can do. Got literally hundreds of those, mostly uptempo dances like Gilderoy (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=74400) - will that be of interest?

herb

Post by herb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:04 pm

Frank Nordberg wrote:Irish and Scottish? I'll see what I can do. Got literally hundreds of those, mostly uptempo dances like Gilderoy (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=74400) - will that be of interest?
I like that one. Must have missed it when you first posted it. Herb

FYF

Re: [PDF] Anon. - Adew Dundee

Post by FYF » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi Frank
Thanks for this. I really appreciate all the background information you have provided.
I hope you are coping okay with the long dark winter up there in northern Norway.
Regards
Paul

Frank Nordberg

Post by Frank Nordberg » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:45 pm

herb wrote:My guitar teacher teases me about my liking for Irish and Scottish tunes
Here's another one:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=75079. Very different style but it is Irish folk music! :)

JohnPierce

Post by JohnPierce » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:59 am

Frank, thank you very much for this. It's a really great piece of music, and a good lesson in how "economical" a composition can be while still having excellent musicality. And there's a sort of blues-like feel to this that I really like. I'm clearly going to have to look for more of these slow, vaguely melancholic 17th century pieces.

musikai

Post by musikai » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi Frank,

I like the quality of your scores!! The music and especially the typesetting! I know you use some kind of abc notation, but I never knew that it is so powerful. So can you tell us what software you use in detail?
Sagreras Gitarrenschule PDF
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
See website link

JohnPierce

Post by JohnPierce » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:22 am

You can't imagine the amount of fun I'm having with this and I heartily thank you for it. But I thank you even more for the link to Jack Campin's web site - what a singularly interesting place.

Frank Nordberg

Post by Frank Nordberg » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:43 pm

musikai wrote:I like the quality of your scores!! The music and especially the typesetting!
Thank you!
musikai wrote:I know you use some kind of abc notation, but I never knew that it is so powerful. So can you tell us what software you use in detail?
I thought I had replied to this already but the post must have been lost...

I don't use ABC for this kind of notation, it's all done in Finale. The way I see it, ABC is brilliant for its simplicity but it's not intended . and should not be intended for - professional quality notation like this.
jwp wrote:You can't imagine the amount of fun I'm having with this...
Me too. It's just a wonderful musical gem, isn't it?
jwp wrote:But I thank you even more for the link to Jack Campin's web site - what a singularly interesting place.
Indeed!

(Btw: It's been a while since last time I posted here - and may also be a while until next time. Some of you may wonder why. The answer is that I was stupid enough to promise to make classical guitar arrangements of O'Carolan's complete works without realizing how big a job that would be. Right now I spend every spare hour on that project. I've finally managed to get an overview of his known works (even that took some since the official list turned out to be a wee bit outdated) and I've done about 30-40 arrangements. My best guesstimate is that I have about 500 hours of work left to do before it's finished and once it is, I'll post a few samples here, although obviously I can't give the whole collection away for free.)

JohnPierce

Post by JohnPierce » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:46 pm

Good grief, Frank! That must be something like a couple of hundred pieces, right? By the time you're done you'll be the world's leading scholar on O'Carolan's compositional techniques, and on the intricacies of arranging 17th-18th century Irish harp music for the guitar. Sounds like a PhD dissertation in the offing to me (but many things do - too many years in academia, I suppose).

keunings

Post by keunings » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:44 am

jwp wrote:Frank, thank you very much for this. It's a really great piece of music, and a good lesson in how "economical" a composition can be while still having excellent musicality. And there's a sort of blues-like feel to this that I really like. I'm clearly going to have to look for more of these slow, vaguely melancholic 17th century pieces.
Frank, I discovered your wonderful post indirectly via a comment by John. This piece is indeed a gem, and I look forward to learning it on my classical guitar. :bravo: and :merci: -- Roland

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”