Peerson, Martin arr. by J. W. Duarte - The Fall of the Leaf

This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed.
Forum rules
This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed. However, we can say in our posts "you can hear a model interpretation by such and such a guitarist on such and such a site".

This forum serves as a place of mutual help if we are stuck on a technical or musical difficulty, whether the problem stems from the notes, the rhythm, the dynamics, or the fingering. We can post several successive versions of the extract, as our work on it progresses. This will serve to help not only the member who is presenting his work, but also indirectly the dozens of other members who are having the same issues with the same passage, but who don't have the equipment or the technical knowledge to post a recording.

As a rule there should be just one topic per work. If several discussions arise on the same work, the moderators will merge the threads together.
sxedio

Peerson, Martin arr. by J. W. Duarte - The Fall of the Leaf

Post by sxedio » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:24 pm

One of 5 pieces of Martin Peerson and Peter Philips from the Fitzwilliam virginal book that J. Duarte arranged for treble recorder and guitar (Edition Schott). Definitely a work in progress, especially the recorder solo that I play here on guitar, as I've been mostly studying the guitar accompaniment, so forgive the rather approximate rendition and also the poor sound of the ageing beginner instrument that I had at hand.

Update: uploading issues, I promise to return with an attached mp3!
2nd update: now file here
fall_of_the_leaf.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

Tonyyyyy

Re: Peerson, Martin arr. by J. W. Duarte - The Fall of the Leaf

Post by Tonyyyyy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:39 pm

Sounds lovely - the guitars sound rich and golden. Maybe good for a'music minus one'

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:49 pm

For some reason I only hear a few bars of the piece when I play the MP3 - did you upload the whole piece?
Incidentally, in the solo guitar version in Thirteen Pieces from the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book Duarte omitted an eight bar section from the piece (after bar 16) cutting the piece down from 32 bars to 24. I haven't seen the recorder and guitar version so i don't know whether it is the same.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:15 pm

Thanks Tony!

Pogmoor, the Duarte arrangement would be under copyright, hence I abide by the 30s rule of the works in progress forum. I'll look for the solo version and compare, I didn't know there was one, thanks for mentioning that.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:54 pm

sxedio wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:15 pm
Thanks Tony!

Pogmoor, the Duarte arrangement would be under copyright, hence I abide by the 30s rule of the works in progress forum. I'll look for the solo version and compare, I didn't know there was one, thanks for mentioning that.
:oops: Oops, I failed to notice which section you had posted in!

Your playing has prompted me to post my own solo arrangement of the piece here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=118818. As I say there the piece beautifully evokes for me the swirling winds of autumn, bringing leaves down from the trees.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:46 am

pogmoor wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:54 pm

Your playing has prompted me to post my own solo arrangement of the piece here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=118818. As I say there the piece beautifully evokes for me the swirling winds of autumn, bringing leaves down from the trees.
Thanks, I'm glad to be an inspiration :P . I will compare this to the Duarte duet arrangement, it's good to have a solo version to play.

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:20 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:49 pm
Incidentally, in the solo guitar version in Thirteen Pieces from the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book Duarte omitted an eight bar section from the piece (after bar 16) cutting the piece down from 32 bars to 24. I haven't seen the recorder and guitar version so i don't know whether it is the same.
Hi pogmoor, I've just listened to my full recording while looking at your score, there are no bars missing in the duet version. Maybe Duarte thought there was no way they could be played by a solo guitarist and considered the abbreviated piece still musically acceptable, while using the omitted material when there's an extra pair of hands (even on a limited instrument like the recorder)

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:56 pm

sxedio wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:20 pm
Maybe Duarte thought there was no way they could be played by a solo guitarist and considered the abbreviated piece still musically acceptable...
Could be, though I would have expected Duarte to draw attention to what he had done.
Eric from GuitarLoot

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:14 am

pogmoor wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:56 pm

Could be, though I would have expected Duarte to draw attention to what he had done.
It could also be a genuine editing/proofreading mistake! A pretty bad one.

Return to “Extracts of works in progress, 8 bars or 30 seconds maximum”