duplicate

Messages that are no longer relevant because their authors or moderators have removed text or attachments.
Forum rules
Messages that are no longer relevant because their authors or moderators have removed text or attachments.
Stan

duplicate

Post by Stan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:08 pm

andreas777 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:36 am
Wuuthrad wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:00 pm
...promote certain ways of thinking. Of course this isn't limited to TV and extends to many facets of the internet and other forms of media as well....
That's true. But the difference is that when you watch TV then you are in a passive mode, someone decides for you what you should see, hear, and consequently what you should think. This is a subconscious process where someone paints the inside of your brain with his color. It would be the same if you go to a restaurant, tell the cook that you are hungry, open your mouth, and the cook fills your mouth with any food he decides, and you only swallow from time to time what is there. There is also a lot of 'spin' and 'nudging' in news found in the internet, but selecting and reading them is a more conscious and active process imho.
That is a GREAT analogy, thanks. I think it also applies to other forms of entertainment on TV and/or cinema but at least you have a choice to some extent. I prefer gaining knowledge through reading, whether it is on the internet or books. I still try to be selective because misleading and/or manipulative information is out there, both in print and the cyberworld. In my opinion this website is a perfect example of a source of knowledge that a person can utilize to truly enrich their life and learn. There are various opinions here on technique but as I learn I can slowly absorb what is most effective for me personally and the best part is all of you are so genuinely helpful and eager to provide advise, providing input with NO hidden agendas. I think that the best way for me to learn (not just classical guitar but also other things) and acquire information is through my personal observations and from teachers in any given field. I think personal experience and observation is the best way to obtain truly accurate information and knowledge and if my lifespan was several thousand years, I might try that with classical guitar but I don't have the time to figure it out through trial and error so having so many people willing to help me and impart their own knowledge is very much appreciated.
The steam that blows the whistle never turns the wheel.

Return to “Archives - link maintenance”