duplicate

Messages that are no longer relevant because their authors or moderators have removed text or attachments.
Forum rules
Messages that are no longer relevant because their authors or moderators have removed text or attachments.
celestemcc

duplicate

Post by celestemcc » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:11 pm

I agree, but I think it's kind of a numbers game.
Precisely. It IS a numbers game. IF you auditioned and couldn't find enough women players for the band, you did the right thing: chose someone who could play, who happened to be a man.

But it's not women's fault per se. There are SO many factors involved, not the least of which is unconscious bias, as someone mentioned above. Did you know that the majority of harpists and flutists are female? And that males who play those instruments often face bias and hostility! (yes, it's true). Why? Because those instruments have, for whatever reasons, become the domain of female musicians. Is it fair? No. But is it true? Definitely.

Women are actually more than 50% of the population. But the arts always self-select. I'm and singer (classical) and a professional actor. Both fields have more roles for men than for women, and both fields have more women vying for those roles. Gender stereotype is at play here, and especially in opera (at pre-professional level) the standard is a bit lower for men simply because there are more roles and fewer male singers. More women: more chance at higher professional standard. Fewer men: less chance of higher professional standard. So goes it in any of the arts, frankly, including guitar. And in the world of theater and film, there are just as many low-standard deluded wannabes amongst men as there are women, and they all want to be stars without the work, either.

Also... we tend to identify with idols of our own gender, most especially when we're kids. Where you and I, and many other women who play, may be a bit different is that the majority of our guitar role models were men. So then the guitar has, for whatever reasons, become a male-dominated instrument. We know there are female players who are every bit as good as the men, and it doesn't matter right now that there are fewer of them. How to get more of them? Promote them on an equal-footing basis. Feature them along with male players and as soloists where there is equal merit. The more we promote excellent women guitarists, the more chance we have to expose girls to what excellent playing is, and what women can do. I do truly hear your frustration. But don't blame women: blame the culture. And we can start to change the culture.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Return to “Archives - link maintenance”