Teaching Guitar

Messages that are no longer relevant because their authors or moderators have removed text or attachments.
Forum rules
Messages that are no longer relevant because their authors or moderators have removed text or attachments.
Stephen Faulk

Teaching Guitar

Post by Stephen Faulk » Tue May 28, 2019 2:49 pm

Stephen Faulk wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:47 pm
Tom Poore wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 12:02 pm
Stephen Faulk wrote:It’s not that big of a deal, teach carefully and honestly at your level of ability.
Here are some actual examples of bad teaching.
  • Recently I took on a young student who had studied with another teacher. He constantly buzzed notes during his first lesson with me. Showing him how to properly fret a note, I told him to place his finger close to the fret. “But my other teacher told me to put my finger halfway between the frets,” he replied.
  • About fifteen years ago, a young student came to me after studying for several years with another teacher. I asked her to play something, so I could hear what level she was at. She played a piece in common time. As she played, some measures had four beats, some had five, some had three—it didn’t bother her in the least, and she had no idea she was doing anything wrong. Mind you, she wasn’t stupid. (A year later, she flawlessly performed a mixed meter piece in a student recital.) She just hadn’t been taught how to count rhythms.
  • An adult student is playing during a student recital. He’s very nervous and makes mistakes. After about a minute of playing badly, he can’t take it any more. He stops in mid phrase and, ignoring the audience, leaves the stage. Obviously upset, he packs up his guitar and departs without a word to anyone.
  • A group class is offered to teach guitarists how to play in an ensemble. During this class, which lasts several weeks, students repeatedly botch rhythms. Yet through the entire duration of the class, the teacher never mentions basic counting.
  • A well known concert artist conducts a master class. Four students perform during the class. Each student ends the class in tears.
I could go on. Bad teaching has real consequences for real people. That’s a big deal.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
Why on earth would you mansplain this to me after I mention that I’d been studying music most of my adult life?

A lot of ‘bad teaching’ is students who aren’t serious,or fighting with themselves or the teacher. Eventually they surrender or move on to something else. A great amount of teaching is being a shrink, for figuring out where the student is coming from and adjusting yourself to meet them. If they aren’t ready for that, there’s not much you can do except be compassionate for their situation of fighting themselves or whatever in life is the prob.

A lot of what you mentioned is just drama that doesn’t really have to do with ‘bad teaching’ I can tell you that as a school teacher.

You know really the teacher battle stories aren’t helpful to those who want to try their hand at teaching. They either have a knack for it or they don’t and most people are perceptive enough to figure that out very fast. If the OP wants to try teaching, go for it. He’ll either wash out because people will not be attracted enough to return or he’ll figure it out. The point is to encourage people to try.
Patience at the bending iron pays in rounded dividends!

Return to “Archives - link maintenance”