Sor, Fernando - op.60/01 Lecon - D01 Video - No file

Messages that are no longer relevant because their authors or moderators have removed text or attachments.
Forum rules
Messages that are no longer relevant because their authors or moderators have removed text or attachments.
Toffeeliz

Sor, Fernando - op.60/01 Lecon - D01 Video - No file

Post by Toffeeliz » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:43 pm

Hi, it's best if you turn your speaker up, I had to position the camera farther away than I would like in order to better show my posture for critiscism.

I've been playing this for a few days and when I thought I'd memorised it today it's all gone to pot. Forgive the mistakes if you will, and the odd twangs that occur every now and again; my nails still aren't long enough.

Also, how often would you suggest someone at my level approach new material? I'm working on grade 1 stuff at the moment and sight reading is fine but memorising is taking a while.

:merci:

Vesuvio

Re: Sor, Fernando - Lecon1 opus60

Post by Vesuvio » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:35 pm

Well done Toffeeliz,

I'm glad you found Sor's Opus 60, there are some lovely pieces in it that are great examples of how beautiful music is not necessarily complicated—though playing them really well is far from simple. This one is coming along—you've certainly got the classical guitar bug!

You might find it helpful to have your music to the right of your left hand and down a little. That makes it just a flick of the eyes from music to either hand if you want to check your bearings and that might also help to keep you relaxed and balanced.

Incidentally there is a great recording of Opus 60 on Naxos (Nicholas Goluses) if you are looking for a little inspiration—the whole Naxos guitar collection can also be downloaded e.g. ClassicsOnline, eMusic, HMV, iTunes,

Best wishes, V :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Toffeeliz

Post by Toffeeliz » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:57 pm

Thanks for the rec. Vesuvio! I have no classical guitar on my computer except for what I've downloaded courtesy of Mr. Delcamp. I'll have a look for that CD :D I'm keeping my eye out for more classical music full stop. I used to just be a Tchaikovsky girl but then I heard a piece by Ravel and its snowballed!
The CG bug is what made my arm ache this morning and has given me some impressive dents ont he tips of my left hand fingers haha.

Thanks for the help, I reallyreallyreally appreciate it! :merci:

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:24 pm

Toffeeliz wrote:...Thanks for the help, I reallyreallyreally appreciate it! :merci:
Don't mention it, it's a pleasure to help if only in a small way, V :)
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

drgoretex

Post by drgoretex » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:38 am

Very nice!

Ken

Toffeeliz

Post by Toffeeliz » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:55 pm

thanks Ken :D

60moo

Post by 60moo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:50 am

Hi Toffeeliz,

Interesting that you're posting vids for feedback on your progress. Clever girl - I couldn't think of a better forum to do this on than Delcamp.

It's really great that you're placing emphasis on the right notes, and this demonstrates that you have the "musical mind". Not everyone has that gift.

In answer to your question, rather than looking for new pieces to play, at this stage I would be looking to beg, borrow or steal Frederick Noad's "Solo Guitar Playing Vol.1" (or equivalent). In next to no time, you'll be getting your hand positions and posture correct, things will start to feel right for you, and the Delcamp feedback will then just be a matter of fine-tuning.

More importantly, you'll start "alternating" with your right hand fingers, and using rest stroke. Once you get these going, you gain official entry into the exclusive world of Classical Guitar (capital C, capital G). You'll then have a smile on your dial bigger and brighter than that on your avatar!

Looking forward to your progress,
Moo.

Toffeeliz

Post by Toffeeliz » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:03 pm

Thank you Moo, a small byte for you; this year will be year of the Ox! you're in for a good year!

I post on a lot of art and drawing forums and on one it's advised you make a thread and keep it as a sketchbook. In order to get the best feedback possible, they advise you to post every drawing so that people can see your most common mistakes but to see your emerging strengths as well. I take with a pinch of salt becuase no one wants to see 50 pages of half-arsed work, but if by sketch it means "imperfect" then I agree that it could be useful. Already I've had some great help from people on this forum. Not only that, but apart from my mum, you guys are the only people I feel brave enough to play for.

*Reaches behind back and pulls out her current bible* Mr Noad came knocking on my door this morning :D I'm reading through it now and I'm glad it comes with your recommendation!
:merci:

I'll post again after some practice and play. I've started reading Lecon 2, I this Opus, but I shall be a good girl and pay attention to Mr. Noad now.

Return to “Archives - link maintenance”