Harmony

Discussion of all aspects of early instruments, lutes, theorbos, vihuelas, Renaissance guitars and Baroque guitars.
RobMacKillop

Harmony

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:59 pm

Yes, I still play classical guitar every day, but when I'm not doing that, these are my closest friends:
harmony.jpg
harmonybw.jpg
A 14-course theorbo by Jiri Cepelak and a 7-string bass viol or viola da gamba by Anthony Edge, with bow by Roger Rose.

The viol has relatively the same tuning as the theorbo, so the chord shapes are all the same, but the pitch is different. To get viol tuning on a classical guitar, just tune the third string down to f#, just like a Renaissance lute. You will be a tone higher in pitch, but could play viol music as if you were at the same pitch. Quite a bit of it is written out in lute tablature.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Re: Harmony

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:40 pm

I envy the time you put in to study multiple instruments. I have all I can handle with the guitar; my uke, bass, steel string, and baby grand get no use at all.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:05 am

Very nice instruments indeed! Thank you for the pictures.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:35 am

Cheers.

Rick, I find it useful to work on projects, and that means one instrument will rise above the others for a while, maybe three months or so. But being a guitar teacher means that I am playing guitar every day, even though it might not be the focus of my latest project. Right now my project is learning to read viol music while improving my bow technique. I'm playing duets with a local viol player who is patient and supportive, thankfully, and in a quartet for the English consort repertoire. I make quite a few mistakes, as we generally sightread, but I'm improving.

After that, I will focus on getting my theorbo improv on ground basses up to scratch, as I can use that when accompanying viols, which would help me become a valuable member of a viol group.

And all the while I am planning another classical guitar recording in a year or so, which means I'm doing enough on the guitar to keep my technique up while musing on a specific repertoire for the recording. When I eventually get around to that, the theorbo and viol will fade into the background.

But, yes, I could do with another five hours in the day, and more energy to use that time wisely!

Return to “Lutes, Baroque and Renaissance Guitars, etc.”