Francisco Tarrega 1852-1909

Analyses of individual works for Classical Guitar and general discussions on analysis. Normal forum copyright rules apply.
VasquezBob

Francisco Tarrega 1852-1909

Post by VasquezBob » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:50 am

Just received Volume I (of three volumes) of "A Modern Method for the Guitar" (Escuela Tarrega) in Spanish, English and French; the Pascual Roch edition. I will begin reviewing it tonight. If anyone has studied this edition, I would certainly enjoy reading any of your thoughts. I'll enjoy reading the Spanish and English but, the French... well, you know the French. :lol:

Eliseo
Composer

Re: Francisco Tarrega 1852-1909

Post by Eliseo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:26 pm

VazquezBob be careful. First you say the word "Volume" and then you say "Method".
We must start from the basis that Francisco Tárrega did not write any method for guitar. But he left "Studies of complete technique" This book I have it of the "Universal Edition" edited by Karl Scheit. And it is written in the German, English, French and Italian languages.

After the House Bèrben, I have four volumes, the first is about his preludes, the second of his studies, the third of his original compositions, and the fourth, the most voluminous with 290 pages, deals with his transcriptions. ( In Italian and English lenguajes)
I hope I have explained myself clearly enough. …..thirteen days after you did written this subject. SORRY :|

Cordial greetings from the Costa Brava :bye:

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:09 pm

All three volumes have been legally online for years. You can find them on my website too: https://rmclassicalguitar.com/technique/

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:16 am

Mr. RobMacKillop, there are four volumes. And they have been and are legally online for years.
I do not want to discuss with you or anyone, I just want to give information to VasquezBob.
On the word "Method" you do not pronounce yourself!

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:18 am

I wasn't talking to you.

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:55 am

But I have spoken to you Mr. RobMacKillop. I have spoken to you politely, and it is a gentleman's education to answer when spoken to.

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:02 am

I'm sorry, Eliseo, I do not understand what you are trying to say to me.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:32 pm

Hi Eliseo - apologies, your English is not clear to some of us.
Eliseo wrote:Mr. RobMacKillop, there are four volumes.
No, the Roch "Method" referenced by both Rob and VasquezBob consists of three volumes.
Eliseo wrote:VazquezBob be careful. First you say the word "Volume" and then you say "Method".
It is indeed a method book - written by Pascual Roch, based on the teaching of Tárrega hence the sub-title "School of Tárrega".
Eliseo wrote:Tárrega did not write any method for guitar. But he left "Studies of complete technique" ...
Tárrega's surviving studies in no way comprise a "complete technique" - the title of Scheit's book refers to the fact that the studies gathered together were as complete a collection as could be gathered at the time of publication. Since that time several more studies have been discovered - many presented in the Soneto "Obras Completas" volumes 1 & 2.

The Bèrben collection of four volumes that you mention is to be considered a poor edition these days, containing no provenance or attribution details, unacknowledged alterations to Tárrega's fingerings and generally poor editing choices. However, though they may be out of date, you may be mistaken in suggesting that they are legally available to download.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:45 pm

Sorry if I seemed brusque earlier. The OP was talking about the Roch books, which I went on to say are available on my website and elsewhere.

Eliseo confused me by talking about the four-volume Berben edition, which should NOT be free online, and which had nothing to do with the OP. I hope we can get back to talking about the very interesting Roch editions.

Best wishes, Eliseo. Your English is MUCH better than my Spanish, or any other language.

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:44 pm

About 56 years ago, in Germany I learned a proverb: "End good, all good".
And I think we had some misunderstanding that is already clear enough.
In 1951 I studied English at an Irish school in the province of Buenos Aires. In 1968 I studied a six-month course in London. In tourism I have worked for many years with British tourists. Especially when I was very young I was a mockbullfeighter in a square where the mockbullfeight was made. But I must admit that it is the language that I have studied the most and I have not mastered.

I started my guitar studies in Spain in the year 1.957 in parallel with my mercantile studies. I am trying to put all my books in order but it is a slow and difficult work. I also admit that the time I use in composition is also a problem.

Mark, I appreciate your explanations. I tried to tell VasquezBob not to confuse "Volume" with “Method" ........

Rob, I have nothing to forgive, you have not committed any fault. I hope that one day you will speak to me in Spanish and I will speak to you in English and have a good friendship.
....... and "Friendship" is the title of the composition that I offer you to erase misunderstandings.

With my best thoughts. :bye:

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

VasquezBob

Post by VasquezBob » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:03 am

I just finished reading the book that I mentioned which lists "Pascual Roch" on the top of the cover and the title page. Next, the title page indicates "A Modern Method for the Guitar (School of Tarrega) In Three Volumes, Translated by Dr. Th. Baker." That's a long quote and it is repeated in Spanish and in French. Also, on the cover, there is a small arrow pointing to "Vol. I" with "Vol. II and Vol. III" indicated below with no arrow. At the bottom of the title page is listed: "G. Schirmer, Inc., New York".

What is obvious to me is that books containing pedagogical work by the "greats" often are "reproduced" by various for-profit entities; each giving its own twist to the material at hand. It's a practice that results in one musical concept being given many names over time, e.g., I have found over 30 types of cadences and many are just duplicates ("same as"). Another book that I have indicates eight ways used to describe tones, e.g., middle C is listed as "C4, C3, C40, C, etc."

Music study is fascinating; I love it. :D

Eliseo
Composer

Post by Eliseo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:37 pm

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret
I have been published some twenty-six works of the many works I have written. For me to give a concert, receive an edited work, etc..all are expenses. Never more well employed that saying: "... For the love of art!
In my humble opinion : "art and profit do not congenian!"

Regards :bye: :bye:

Eliseo Fresquet-Serret

Return to “Analysis of Classical Guitar Works”