Greetings everybody, I'm new

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
kilrathi

Greetings everybody, I'm new

Post by kilrathi » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:32 am

Hi!

Just here to say hello to everyone. I've been surfing the net looking for classical guitar forums and I landed here. While it's smaller and not as robust as some, I have a feeling its better. It's got a nice database full of sheet music too.

Vous remercier Professeur Delcamp pour répondant en fait mon e-mail!

Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:44 pm

welcome kilrathi :D
Jean-François
:( + ♫ = :)

kilrathi

More about myself...

Post by kilrathi » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:11 pm

Hullo...

It seems pretty quiet in this forum, so I might as well write something about myself!
What can I say? I'm 23 and currently an engineering undergraduate, but my passion is music! I began playing the piano at the age of 6 and I'm pretty good at it, but I discovered my 2nd and developed a love for this instrument, the guitar just 2 years ago... People say the piano is the king of musical instruments, but in my opinion, the classical guitar outshines the piano in many ways. I'm currently 6th grade for guitar, and if you're curious I'm attached to the ABRSM (Associated Board of The Royal Schools of Music)

Please wish me luck in my coming examinations mid-year! I skip lectures and copy assignments to make time to play the guitar, so people think I'm pretty crazy. My dream is to have the skill of a world-class player, but I know I'm planets away, but its a dream that keeps me going. I'm here to meet fellow musicians (or you guys who share my passion) and learn more, also to find more beautiful music to play...

Timothy Miller

I Just Came Aboard Too

Post by Timothy Miller » Mon May 23, 2005 3:18 pm

Kilrathi,
It's interesting, your post about your musical development. I did just the opposite, played guitar for 25 years then began the piano about 5years ago. I can say, in my humble opinion, that the piano tasks your "eye to hand coordination" with greater efficiency. The upside to this is, using proper chromatic structuring-warmup techniques (ie using all fingers on both hands individually on the piano) has strengthend my ability on the guitar 10 fold, conservatively. Both these instruments together are an awsome combination. Playing both relentlessly will compliment each other in your goal to be proficient at one or the other.
never stop striving,
Timothy Miller

hav

Post by hav » Mon May 23, 2005 5:02 pm

Welcome kilrathi -- yes - the english forum is not nearly as active as the French forum - but delcamp does seem to have a good thing going.

heh heh - I almost HATED the required piano classes when in school - I found it very uncomfortable to turn my left hand down - but I think that piano before guitar is probably a good thing.

I wanted my youngest sister to pursue guitar but pushed for her to study piano first (and from a very young age). She ended up staying with piano :( - still, she did well in competitions and got a full scholarship to TCU for piano. Then she graduated and went on with life (with little playing) ... she's married now with several boys of her own --- I think I'm gonna to push her to let the boys START with GUITAR once they're a bit older - I'll get them a couple of reduced scale guitars and see what happens :D

BalO

Re: Greetings everybody, I'm new

Post by BalO » Tue May 24, 2005 7:47 am

kilrathi wrote:Hi!

Just here to say hello to everyone. I've been surfing the net looking for classical guitar forums and I landed here. While it's smaller and not as robust as some, I have a feeling its better. It's got a nice database full of sheet music too.

Vous remercier Professeur Delcamp pour répondant en fait mon e-mail!
You did the same as me, welcome and enjoy your stay, because alot of new things can be found and learned =)

kilrathi

Post by kilrathi » Wed May 25, 2005 2:39 pm

Hello Timothy!

Yup, I agree to your HO about the piano and boy, am I grateful for my piano and musical background. Guitar was a joy to learn after I got past the pain and discomfort of the guitar fretboard. Unlike the piano, I still cannot practice beyond certain few hours a day so I adopt the "practice till you drop" method. I play till my left arm aches and the fingertips scream. Btw, I am rather concerned with potential injuries to musicians (perhaps I should start a new thread).

Piano and the guitar is beautiful combination and I think my life would not be complete had I pick another. I feel the piano provides a more balanced distribution of finger responsibility as opposed to the guitar. The guitar demands a different quality and strength on the fretboard, and much finesse with the right (getting rid of clacking was a challenge) That said, I will continue to strive and master this wonderful instrument.

Hello hav. I hated my piano lessons when I was a young boy as well! But thinking back, I'm really glad I did it. Personally, I think every musician should have some sort of keyboard knowledge and I am helped tre-mendously by the piano. But the song of the guitar has truly captured my heart!

I'm happy to hear you've taken initiative to get your nephews started to discover the beauty of the guitar! Someday they'll appreciate it. If I may suggest, do get the boys good instruments ! My first instrument was already a hand-made spannish guitar (a present from my beloved father). I find that having such a beautiful guitar helped in my appreciation and inspiration to play. Well don't over-invest but a terrible instrument simply kills interest :( I don't know about scaled-down guitars but perhaps they can start off with full-sized ones if you wait a while.

Hello Balo,

I shall enjoy my stay here and the information shared here is great!

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”