Rest strokes and scales vs playing

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Archangel

Rest strokes and scales vs playing

Post by Archangel » Wed May 04, 2005 3:01 pm

When I warm up before I start to practice scales and then eventually play some peices I`m working on I usually do like this:

When ever I play scales I use rest strokes to get more resistance and to use more force\strength in relation to the finger.
I play them mainly (for now) using the i-m combination.

However I hold my hand in a near 80 degree angle when I do the rest strokes and the i-m method is not hard to do it is ok.

Though when I practice on pieces after this and if there are 2 successive notes on one string I only use one finger to play them both, not the i-m as in the scale, mainly couse I can`t play using the PIMA in the hand position I use when practicing scales.

Is it common to do this or do most classical players i-m on the same string?
Just wonder couse maybe my angle is a little bit to small on my picking hand then.

I know there is not a "standard" but as in most useful technique and progress it is nice to know still :D

torroba72

scales and such

Post by torroba72 » Tue May 10, 2005 6:36 pm

You should be alternating your fingers in scales and when you have notes on the same string. When you play your scales you should not have one position for scales and one for apeggios. Bring your hand up and play your scales normaly, don't hold m and a back or curl them under. Your hand should be relaxed,if you are getting tense you should slow down. I don't think you should be practicing your scales with rest strokes unless you need lots of work on them,it shoudl be free stroke.

Just like Segovia has in his scale book, you should after you have mastered scale with i and m alternate to m and a and i and a. I do scales after my sets of slurs. I do them in sets of 3 and each time I move the metranome up a notch, or if I'm having a bad day or its not working I stay at the same tempo. Remember always take it slow and become good friends with your metranome.

Tim

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”