Michael Karmon, composer GREAT MUSIC

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Todd Tipton
Teacher

Michael Karmon, composer GREAT MUSIC

Post by Todd Tipton » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:49 pm

http://www.michaelkarmon.com

Dr. Karmon has many pieces available for free directly from his website. A couple of weeks ago, I read through The Guitarist's Guide to the Orchestra and part of Six of One, Half a Dozen of the Other. I don't know what to say except that this is REALLY GREAT MUSIC! This made my day! Later, I read through some more, downloaded much of it and plan to learn much of it. In my opinion, I could easily look through piles of new music and not find HALF of the quality that I have just enjoyed seeing. As usual, I had a pile of new music (far too big) waiting its turn for attention. After seeing Mike's material, this is one of those VERY RARE occasions that some of his music has "cut in line" and rightfully found its way to the very top of my pile. Not only is the music great, but what I have read through fits well on the fret board, and Karmon clearly has that rare knack of showing the guitar in its best light: showing the guitar's capabilities.

Mike has written for 3 GFA competition winners, includes pieces for Martha Masters, Denis Azabagic, Duo-46, and many more. Newman & Oltman have recently recorded his music, his music has won first prizes in the 19th Annual NACUSA Composition Competition, the Fourth Annual American Society for Jewish Music Composition Competition, and top honors in the international Waging Peace composition competition. I am sure to leave something out, so please check his bio. More importantly, please examine his music. It deserves attention and much of it is available at the click of a mouse. This is first rate music.
Dr. Todd Tipton, Noda Guitar Studio
Charlotte, NC, USA (available via Skype)

sbondy

Re: Michael Karmon, composer GREAT MUSIC

Post by sbondy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:26 pm

I agree! Great stuff. Thanks for the heads up.

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:19 am

Hi Todd,

Thank you, that is a very interesting website indeed,

Best wishes, V :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:22 pm

Absolutely! I'm currently really enjoying his Sonatina California; very fresh and interesting music for the instrument.

Michael Collings

Post by Michael Collings » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:15 pm

What a great composer and website. I like the idea of offering one's work for free.

oski79

Post by oski79 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:29 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:Absolutely! I'm currently really enjoying his Sonatina California; very fresh and interesting music for the instrument.
Good to hear, Denian. Michael Partington, who Michael Karmon wrote the piece for, played it at our local open mike before he took it on tour. It's a beautifully evocative piece. I was entranced by it. I hope Michael records it eventually.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

guitarlojak

Post by guitarlojak » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:45 pm

I agree. His compositions show knowledge about the guitar and music.
It's one of the very good composers of the guitar and not a beginner who
tries to compose.
Thank you, MK!

PL

Julio

Post by Julio » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:57 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:Absolutely! I'm currently really enjoying his Sonatina California; very fresh and interesting music for the instrument.
I love your playing of the music! I am a southern california native born and raised and will probably die here. His music evokes all the goods and evils of my region of the world descriptively through the power of music. Your playing is quite superb and inspirational. If i ever have to pull off a "modern" guitar concert, this Sonatina will be the one i will perform. Nothing short of magical. Especially the crasy 4ths in the desert section!

michael karmon

Post by michael karmon » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:31 pm

A few new scores available now. :)

michael karmon

Post by michael karmon » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:42 pm

Two movements from "Backpack Pieces," a suite of 10 easy pieces commissioned by members of this forum, will be featured in the next "Soundboard" magazine! :D You can download a free copy of the score at my website.

Archibal

Post by Archibal » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks for sharing the link. Much appreciated lovely comps. At present this is a bit too difficult for me to play but I will get there, I will get there someday :-)

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”