Buying Guitars on the Internet

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Michael

Buying Guitars on the Internet

Post by Michael » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:52 am

I am intrigued how people can confidently buy a guitar on the Internet.
With a guitar from a good manufacturer or luthier, I guess there wouldn't be any real problem.

But, for me personally, I would want to listen to the sound of the guitar, look at it and feel it in my hands, also check the intonation is true and play every note on the fretboard to check for flat spots etc.

Also the same models of guitar can differ quite considerably, in sound etc.,
so the one I tried in the shop may sound better than the one that comes in the post.

However, the internet prices, often, are very keen compared with store/shop prices and the sellers, invariably, offer 'money back if not delighted' schemes. So there is an attraction to buy one on the net.

But I cannot feel confident enough to 'go for it', despite reading reviews of many delighted customers, some of which have spent a small fortune.

How do you guys feel about this?

Buckley

Post by Buckley » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:08 pm

Like you, I'd rather play a guitar before I buy it. In fact, the only instrument I have ever bought via the internet was a cheap mandolin to take camping, and I pretty well got what I paid for-a poor instrument not worth the price.

On the other hand, if you have a two or three day window or approval period in which to try out the instrument before having to keep it, then buying on the internet may not be bad. You'll probably be out the cost of shipping, but considering the prices that you can get on the internet it may be worth it.

Archangel

Post by Archangel » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:12 pm

Unlike you two I have actually bought both my guitars "unseen" over the internet.

Main reason for me though was that they were my first guitars and that I really wouldn`t know what to expect as in tone etc..

Their price was 300 US (steelstring) and 600 US (classical).

As I get more competent I will probably buy more guitars which will be more expensive, though then I will try them out in the shops.

I am happy with my classical, though as far as the steelstringer goes I would have chosen a "Consert" shape today since I find the Dreadnaught shape to be a little bit to big for me :lol:

Buckley

Post by Buckley » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:09 pm

I am happy with my classical, though as far as the steelstringer goes I would have chosen a "Consert" shape today since I find the Dreadnaught shape to be a little bit to big for me
I agree with you on the Dreadnaught shape. I wonder why it is-it seems like I am picking the guitar with a watermelon under my arm when I play it. Maybe I am just too accustomed to the mandolin now.

-John.

Archangel

Post by Archangel » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:15 pm

Yeah that is my problem too, it is TO big, and a little bit to deep as well for its size.

The angle of my hand feels "strange" at best when I play on it since I sit in a classical position with it as well.

Ratdart

Post by Ratdart » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:55 am

I agree with the topic creator. I need to see, hear, feel, and experience the instrument before even considering putting money towards it.

Anonymous

Internet Purchases

Post by Anonymous » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:32 pm

My last guitar I bought was over the internet. A Takamine Hirade Concert with a Cedar top. I got an excellent price, the seller was known by my brother as reputable (an e - b a y guy) and he offered a money back guarantee. It was bought paid for and in my hands in less than 5 days and is of the finest quality of any guitar I have ever played and many of your more "professional" guitar shops. The sound is unbelievable and I would match it up against a more expensive guitar.

I think the warning is just like with a post I did on cutaways is that you know what you are looking for and if possible get as much info on the seller as possible. You can always go to a store, find what you are looking for and then find it cheaper somewhere else. I know that is not very fair to the store guy but a $100 difference on a $2500 guitar is a big deal to me.

Matt

cprovinse

Post by cprovinse » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:15 pm

I have purchased two guitars over the internet. I am extremely pleased with both. You have to do the research first and then check up on the seller. I made a great buy with each.

Anonymous

Guitars over the Internet

Post by Anonymous » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:21 am

I'm with you on that!

I know people who have been burned and I learned from their mistakes. Believe it or not you can really find some good deals on classical guitars which are used if you don't mind that on e - b a y. People buy them and can't adjust to the playing style and difficulty. I know people who have picked up great "used" guitars which have barely been played.

Matt

Michael

Post by Michael » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:46 pm

The point I was really making here was buying a guitar unheard, rather than unseen.

As no two guitars sound the same, I was more concerned with the inability to check the intonation, which, in a classical guitar is fixed.

An electric guitar can be adjusted for this by individual saddles, so doesn't really pose a problem.

The other point is checking for flat spots in the sound. This is probably more likely to occur on cheaper models.

If there is something wrong, then most suppliers operate a money back/exchange scheme, but it could become a pain couldn't it?

Anonymous

Internet Guitars

Post by Anonymous » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:52 pm

I have depended heavily on my brothers advice who is an active seller and buyer on e - b a y and the Internet.

I am not absolutely sure but if a prblem develops with a seller in returning a guitar, which from what I understand rarely happens if you have done some research, there are some recourses through your credit card company but most importantly with PayPal because of the agreements on both the buyer and seller sides.

To the best of my knowledge.

Matt

cprovinse

Post by cprovinse » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:07 am

I have brought from e - b a y. Depending on the price, some of the seller will let you try it and then return it. I guess buying over the internet is for some people, and not for others.

Anonymous

Internet guitars

Post by Anonymous » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:26 pm

Very true... it all depends on comfort levels.

anathem

Post by anathem » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:16 am

i for one have to see and hear the ionstrument before i can put some money into it..i mean it may be a very good instrument but not fitted to my needs as every guitar player has a different style and emphasize on certaint traits of the guitar he buys.but if you buy a guitar from guitarrisimo or something it may not be a bad idea especially if you do not have the resources to find what u need in a shop.as matarleton said it depends on the comfort levels -and on financial possibilities and level of trust u are able to put in something u haven't seen or tried for yourself :guitare:

kelvinG

Post by kelvinG » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:26 am

Now almost everything can make a deal through Internet, but a guitar is different. I agree with topic creator . But I can use the information from Internet to help me to choose and understand a kind of brand and manufacture backgroud of a guitar . After get enough information, I will go to the shop directly and listening, play and choose. I think a soul of a guitar will be feeled on site rather than through a virtual Internet. :D

-------
Strings give you all feeling of life.

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”