Starting Sarabande BWV 997 - pointers?

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
hav

Starting Sarabande BWV 997 - pointers?

Post by hav » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:59 am

just a quick note (haven't been around in a while) that someone asked about the Sarabande the other day so I pulled it out to site read a bit - was fun so decided to rememorize - only section 1 so far though.

a pass 2 vid is up - actually 1 with the hernandez - one with the enriquez - still not great and pointers welcome for sure...

http://www.hav.com/junk/

I still have too dern much trouble with color changes - DERN IT!!

but WAY better than the first pass a day or so earlier ha ha ha ha
I removed the link to the older dir which I had deleted - sorry if that cause problems for some folks...
Last edited by hav on Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hav

Post by hav » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:43 pm

:D well - no replies - but, just as info, I have updated the vid to - not great - but better version which includes a pass through section 2

BalO

Post by BalO » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:07 am

You are way to advanced to me to give you any good pointers hav :)
You can do it by yourself :)
Yeah, im going to take a look on your page, download some videos of yours and learn something usefull..
thanx hav!

Sanft

Post by Sanft » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:41 am

Hi hav!
I ALWAYS memorize a piece and all fingering first without any color changes! Distracts me too much. When right hand fingering is secured I start with the colors!
Clemens 8)
"...si nos quedáramos cuarenta y ocho horas seguidas sin música, habria una catástrofe mundial." Leo Brouwer
7stringed Matthias Dammann 1997; 9stringed Neuner&Hornsteiner ~ 1880
7stringed 1829 Staufer/Legnani replica by F. P. Dietrich 2007

hav

Post by hav » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:23 am

okee dokee - made one more pass - all repeats - bit more speed - but still flaby concentration muscle :(

http://www.hav.com/junk/

Oh well - think it's time to put this one to bed for a while.

SOME DAY my hands (and head) will be worthy of the spruce --- but not yet I fear!! DERN IT!!!

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:08 am

What fascinates me is your amazing concentration and economy of motion... I've never "watched" myself play, but I always have the sense that I'm wasting way more kinetic energy than I need to just getting from one spot to the next... you look very focused and relaxed, and that translate into a very compelling rendition. thank you!

Michael

Post by Michael » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:56 am

I watched your videos with interest and thought the same as Azalais, the economy of motion and relaxation scored points with me too.

Thank for these, I think I received more pointers than I could ever possibly give back to you.

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:46 pm

HAV... I thought that you might like to know that you have achieved the ULTIMATE holy grail with your website... I just did a g**gle search for someone using the search terms: "classical guitar videos".... and your site came up as the VERY FIRST link!!

With luck, the glory will last longer than 15 minutes. 8)

hav

Post by hav » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:22 pm

Hey Azalais - and thanks for the comments -- Thank you as well, Michael

I'm not at ALL sure my concentration is in good shape these days -- WAY too much self talk going on when make these vids and it, inevitably, leads to foul ups in simple spots :( -- and I'm almost for sure that my old teacher wouldn't agree on the economy of motion bit - but he did push it. He was (I assume still is) remarkable to see play - HUGE and complicated sound with apparently NO movement except smooth hands going here and there - inspiring for sure.

When I auditioned for him (w a y back when) I played the bwv 996 Bourree - and I mean I played the hell out of it - heck - I ALMOst danced it while I was playing it :D --- his very first comment, when I was done, was ...
"Welllll - as far as I can tell, the only thing you know about technique is that your thumb goes behind the neck."
:) His comments these days (to the few of these he has seen) have been kind and much more gentle but I know he still cringes at the terrible state of my technique.

But I think we all enjoy that sort of "experiential non sequitur" of moving music from a less than frantic player - we all strive for that I think (though I find I have a little too much head bobbing and weaving going on :)

HEY - that's neat about google - try this one (which is, actually a bit embarrassing when you get right down too it...

http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/vi ... =&ei=UTF-8

I think a lot of my placement is due to 1) hav.com having been around for a long time - 2) hav.com being fairly large and with a fairly wide variety of content which has led to a number of folks linking to it over the years - and 3) I prefer simpler rather than whiz-bang pages -- the site isn't very pretty but, I hope, it's fairly easy to navigate and read etc.

Anyway - thanks again!!

BalO

Post by BalO » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:18 pm

hav wrote:
"Welllll - as far as I can tell, the only thing you know about technique is that your thumb goes behind the neck."
:) His comments these days (to the few of these he has seen) have been kind and much more gentle but I know he still cringes at the terrible state of my technique.
Hmm Hav, i promise you, you have 2149892899218 times better technique then me.. You are like john williams compared to me? :)

Buckley

Post by Buckley » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:08 pm

I am not qualified to give you any pointers-your playing is more advanced than mine is right now-but I just wanted you to know that after seeing you play I want to learn this piece. I love the tone you are able to produce on your guitar. From time to time, those rare moments when I play with confidence, I can make the guitar sound like that, but not as nicely as you do. Thank you for sharing your playing with us.

-John.

hav

Post by hav » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:28 pm

thanks BalO and Buckley -

BalO - I am flattered - but WOW - this must be very very insulting to JW :D

Buckley - it's probably just the guitar and strings that make much of the difference - my RH technique is pretty terrible (not that my LH is any better) - I use the hanabach goldin treb on both guitars - and medium or high ten bases (also hanabach but other basses might work as well)

The hernandez is spruce - so MUCH louder and more sustain but with spruce brightness - the enriquez is not as pricy a guitar (but ok for me) and cedar - not as loud nor as much sustain - also, I did the setup and it was my first attempt so not done very well - too much buzz when playing with any volume

ALSO the webcam mic is pretty stinky. One of these days I guess I'll pop for a real mic - maybe :) -- hobbies just seem to keep on costing don't they :D

HEY! as an aside - I listened to a JW recording of the Sarabande -- mine is a full minute faster so I'm probably playing this WAY too fast :) - but, when I play it so much slower, it seems difficult to keep the forward movement -- at the slow tempo it just seems to plod along making you (me) sort of lean forward to encourage the music to keep moving - ha ha ha ha

OH - I just noticed that the 8/13 dir has a full version of the sarabande played more slowly - almost exactly the tempo of the JW recording -- you can see the plodding nature when I play it that slow (also that one is on the enriquez) Sorry - it's a HUGE download because I didn't make a set of converted files for that one so it is ONLY available there in the avi format - but, if you're interested in hearing it played badly :) you can...
http://www.hav.com/junk/videos_08-13-05/

also, I don't really notice very much in the way of color changes in his (JW) performance --- maybe I'm over-thinking this one

Buckley

Post by Buckley » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:33 pm

HEY! as an aside - I listened to a JW recording of the Sarabande -- mine is a full minute faster so I'm probably playing this WAY too fast - but, when I play it so much slower, it seems difficult to keep the forward movement -- at the slow tempo it just seems to plod along making you (me) sort of lean forward to encourage the music to keep moving - ha ha ha ha
I agree 100%. I know the sarabande should be "stately" but I also want to hurry things along a little bit when playing one.
it's probably just the guitar and strings that make much of the difference - my RH technique is pretty terrible (not that my LH is any better) -
The only pointer I would give is to not give yourself a hard time. :) You seem to have very good economy of movement with both hands. I've actually took some inspiration from watching your videos and am trying to have both hands in better position when I play.

Thanks for sharing the videos. It is really helpful to watch another musician play.

-John.

ky-jelly

Post by ky-jelly » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:18 pm

well you've just inspired me to have a go at Villa Lobos' etudes!

Very clean and articulate playing, well done on a great site.

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”