[marikivi] Few words about Mari

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
marikivi

[marikivi] Few words about Mari

Post by marikivi » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:29 am

Hello everybody!

I'm 41 year old woman from Finland. I started to play guitar last autumn, when my landlady gave me her late husbands guitar.
I have played saxophone, clarinet and piano since little girl, but never tried guitar before. Now I love playing guitar. I play from standard notation. I have tried to read tablatures, but they still make me confused.
I like early music a lot, but I try to play other styles too.

And yes, I'm engineer.
Last edited by marikivi on Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sanft

Post by Sanft » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:39 am

Hi!
Standard notation is the only thing you really need. The only tab you should learn to read is French tab for Renaissance and Baroque lute music. Especially Renaissance music, because Dowland's compositions for lute solo are written for a 6-course instrument!
CU! Clemens 8)
"...si nos quedáramos cuarenta y ocho horas seguidas sin música, habria una catástrofe mundial." Leo Brouwer
7stringed Matthias Dammann 1997; 9stringed Neuner&Hornsteiner ~ 1880
7stringed 1829 Staufer/Legnani replica by F. P. Dietrich 2007

marikivi

Post by marikivi » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:45 am

That's the main reason for me to learn tabs. I want to learn more about lute music and early guitar music.

anathem

Post by anathem » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:58 am

welcome!
-tab is not at all difficult even for someone used to reading standard notation it's easy when u get the relation between the guitar and the graphic represantation in tab.and it's very useful it makes standard notation more interesting by adding a new look at the way u can interpret a song.tab is somewhat a mediator between the note in standard and their factual interpretation on guitar

Sanft

Post by Sanft » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:03 pm

Well, then:
Nothing's more simple!
The uppermost line of the tab is the first string. a is the empty string, b the first fret, c the second and so on. Rhythmical markings are above the tab and are valid as long as no other mark appears. Normally in modern prints they are plain notes. In older prints and facsimiles they lack the heads, only necks. Tune third string down to f#, that's it. The original key normally is a minor third higher (e minor on the guitar is g minor on the lute). So for practical purposes (some chords maybe a little wide spread on a modern guitar) one can use a capo on the third fret.
That was the crash course. Now start playing!
Clemens 8)
Last edited by Sanft on Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"...si nos quedáramos cuarenta y ocho horas seguidas sin música, habria una catástrofe mundial." Leo Brouwer
7stringed Matthias Dammann 1997; 9stringed Neuner&Hornsteiner ~ 1880
7stringed 1829 Staufer/Legnani replica by F. P. Dietrich 2007

anathem

Post by anathem » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:06 pm

that about wraps it up..unless u decide to check out modern tab too which is mot different..but i guess u won't be needing that ;)

BalO

Post by BalO » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:10 pm

Welcome Marikivi!
Finaly someone from scandinavia to join me :)

Ufnortnutly I don´t speak any Finnish, but be welcome to ask me stuff in Swedish :)

Welcome

anathem

Post by anathem » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:56 pm

btw balo i am especially fond of the gothenburg metal stage maybe i'll visit u one day :lol:

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”