New Guitar. Ramirez?

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
phrabachko

New Guitar. Ramirez?

Post by phrabachko » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:26 am

I want to buy a new guitar and have always set my heart on a Ramirez, but have only £1000 (but it's a lot to me!)
The problem is that after playing some Ramirez and other guitars, I prefered a Raimundo model.
Now I'm confused.
My heart says Ramirez, my head Raimundo.
I can't decide!
Any advice?
Paolo

cprovinse

Post by cprovinse » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:04 am

Boy, you do have a delimna. If you have played them both, follow your heart. I have a Ramirez, I love it. I bought it used. It has a really deep beautiful sound. It is easy to play and projects sound nicely. I cherish it. I bought it on a recommendation from a teacherwho had a Ramirez that I admired. But if I had played another instrument that I like more, I probably would have gone in that direction. I do not know anything about Raimundo guitars, so I cannot comment. I will tell you that you will not go wrong with a Ramirez, but it sounds like you can't go wrong either way.

annoost

Post by annoost » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:40 pm

You really have to try each guitar and compare.
I recently tried some guitars and there was also a ramirez amongst them
but i really didn't like it.
Why buy a Ramirez just because of the name???
If you fall in love with another guitar then buy it don't hesitate. If you find a Ramirez that you really like then buy the Ramirez. There are lots of great guitars out there you just have to try them and become lucky to find the one that suits you.
Good luck

Ann

anathem

Post by anathem » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:59 pm

with that kind of money u can get your hands on a wide range of great guitars maybe even better than a ramirez why go for the name?try out more guitars, search the web there are many most interesting sites out there and than decide noone can tell u which is the best just give advice.and guitars with reputable names can be very great but some with no name at all might surprise u so extend ur area of search and decide which is the best instrument for u i mean we all have different needs and tastes.good luck!

mousemat

Post by mousemat » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:59 pm

Hi Phrabachko,

In addition to the other advice, may I suggest that you go and play both again but take a guitarist friend with you. Not only can you get a second opinion but you can get the friend to play both and then you can hear them.

I always find that hearing a guitar played sounds different to hearing it when you play it yourself. The sound projection is away from you as a player and towards you as a listener.

Just a thought.

Mousemat

sami007

Post by sami007 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:47 pm

i keep dropping my guitar on the floor and smacking it against the wall or table by accident ofcourse. many times i have done this. last accident was a few days ago when i a accidently knocked my bottle of aftershave off the shelve, it fell on my guitar that was sitting on its stand underneath the shelf ( this time the damaage was 2 scratches not very deep). i try to take care of the guitar but things just keep happening to it. luckily mine doesn't cost to much. now if it cost 1000 pounds then each time there was an accident my heart would just jump out my chest.

Michael

Post by Michael » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:05 am

Sami007, I, too, am scared of damaging a treasured guitar.

I always keep mine in it's case when I am not playing it. I don't trust myself enough not to do anything daft!

Referring to phrabachko's dilemna, I also agree with Ann... why buy the name?

Surely it is better to ignore all names and play the guitars, listen to them, feel comfortable with them and compare the specifications. Names come last.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

BobM

Post by BobM » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:56 am

Yeah, I always keep damaging my guitar...everytime something goes wrong with learning a piece I throw it angrily and violently againt a wall! :D Just kidding!

More seriously, I know exactly what phrabachko is going through. It happened to me and I ended up with two guitars...I used cash for one and plastic for the other one...I'm still paying for it but I love both! Remember you only live once so be good to yourself.

Happy guitar!

Bob

BalO

Post by BalO » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:04 pm

Michael wrote:Sami007, I, too, am scared of damaging a treasured guitar.

I always keep mine in it's case when I am not playing it. I don't trust myself enough not to do anything daft!

Referring to phrabachko's dilemna, I also agree with Ann... why buy the name?

Surely it is better to ignore all names and play the guitars, listen to them, feel comfortable with them and compare the specifications. Names come last.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
I do the same, and everytime my friends wants to try out the guitar, I tell them, try out my electric guitar, I have nice sound effects..
My fender stratocaster doesn´t cost much and I really can see a way of that they can scratch it :)
Love my ALhambra always keep it in my hardcase! ;)

miguel de maria

Post by miguel de maria » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:52 pm

For $1000, I wouldn't touch either. You can get a used guitar from Paracho, or one of the Yamahas or Lucidas, which would be a better deal by far in my opinion.

sktn77a

Post by sktn77a » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:24 am

Paolo:

I have some good news and some bad news for you:

The good news is that the R series Ramirez guitars are made for Ramirez by............ Raimundo :shock:

The bad news is that the R series Ramirez guitars are made for Ramirez by............ Raimundo :D

The E series Ramirez guitars are made by Alhambra. Only the concert level guitars (1a, GH, SP) are actually made by Ramirez.

Play both and buy the one that you like the most.

Keith

phrabachko

Post by phrabachko » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:14 am

Many thanks for all your advice
The next time I try out the guitars I will bring a friend with me & will also ask to try a range of guitars within the same price range.
My plan is to NOT look at the labels and to pick the one that feels and plays the best.
I was also thinking of asking if I could also try out an expensive concert model again with this same "blind" approach, just to see if I could tell the difference!

anathem

Post by anathem » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:20 am

good decision i'm glad we could help you :okok:

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”