guitar producing a strange sound

Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
Forum rules
Topics archived from Public Space and its subforums after a long period of inactivity, or redundant for some other reason. This section is read-only.
sami007

guitar producing a strange sound

Post by sami007 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:51 pm

my guitar suddenly started to produce a stange sound. when i pluck the 1st or 2nd string only, the 5th and 6th string will also vibrate making a teribble sound.
the sound is a little like a humming sound more similar to the sound of a sheet of metal being hit.
its like the 5th and six string are resonating at their natural frequency.
i am new to the guitar and would much appreciate it if anyone knows whats going on.

Michael

Post by Michael » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:46 am

I wonder if one of the bracings inside the body has come slighty unstuck?

sami007

Post by sami007 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:03 am

what are the bracings?

billb

Post by billb » Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:38 am

I'll think about it. It could just be a ghost note.

anathem

Post by anathem » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:53 pm

i got a similar problem when the strings were too close to the neck of the guitar because i had not ajusted them properly and they vibrated onto the metal which separates the frets (i dont remember the english word for it hehe ) check it out

sami007

Post by sami007 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:10 am

the strings are not nutching the frets. i took the strings off and put the back in exactly the correct way but no difference. i think that when i pluck the string the body of the guitar is virbrating at a particular frequency that induces the 5th and 6th string to vibrate.

Anonymous

Buzz

Post by Anonymous » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:52 am

Anyone know why my classical has developed a buzz all of a sudden and not all the time when it is kept in constant humidification? Buzz is on the low E. Has the saddle or nut moved?

Matt

Michael

Post by Michael » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:58 am

A bracing is one of the struts of wood which support the guitar top.
If the problem isn't there all the time, then it is probably and most certainly will not be this.

Climate and humidity can certainly affect a guitar. Contraction and expansion can occur at certain conditions. My guitar has a low action and when I played it last night, it sounded thin and unresponsive.
This might account for Matt's problem of buzzing on the low E for no apparent reason.
A high action produces a fuller sound, although more effort is required to fret the strings, but it is less likely to be affected by climate.

Thinking about it more, plucking the 1st or 2nd string may cause one or more of the other strings to resonate harmonically. Again, the problem might be climatic.

sami007

Post by sami007 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:07 pm

i shoock the guitar but there is no loose bits. the climate has been constant. not to dry and not to wet.

sami007

Re: Buzz

Post by sami007 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:09 pm

matarleton wrote:Anyone know why my classical has developed a buzz all of a sudden and not all the time when it is kept in constant humidification? Buzz is on the low E. Has the saddle or nut moved?

Matt
check to c if the string is touching any of the 12 frets when plucking the string

Return to “Archives of Public Space and its subforums”